ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 6
« First < 23456
Nzoner's Game Room>Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo
InChiefsHeaven 08:19 AM 05-17-2019
Just opened a new exhibit today:

\https://www.omaha.com/living/zoo/hen...8b21352e1.html

Say what you want about Omaha, but we have the best zoo in the country hands down, and maybe even the world. If you haven't seen it, it's worth the visit. Plan on a day at least, it's friggin' huge. Check out their site:

http://www.omahazoo.com/exhibits

*InChiefsHell is a citizen of Nebraska but was not paid in any way for this endorsement. He just really thinks the zoo is the shit*
[Reply]
SDChiefs 09:18 PM 05-20-2019
Originally Posted by POND_OF_RED:
Yeah definitely not an argument. I’m very aware of what they were doing with the pandas just by the growing number of pandas in the exhibit. I really don’t need google to explain something my parents explained to me before that website was even created. I’m just trying to make the bullshit trade of pandas more aware to everyone else. I know a few zoologists and none of them want pandas in the country because it takes away from funds that could be spent conserving so many more animals.
Fair enough. Pandas arent easy or cheap to conserve. Jim jefferies standup speaks wonders. However, San Diego successfully bred them. That is important in the conservation of the species. Not many zoos have been able to replicate. It's easy to determine the cost of. It's not as easy to determine the worth.
[Reply]
SDChiefs 09:26 PM 05-20-2019
Originally Posted by InChiefsHell:
Again, it's subjective, but to say "It's not even close" betrays an ignorance of what you are talking about. It's more than close. Look into it if you want, but don't go all West Coast on me here. That you have never heard of it makes sense, it's in Omaha. But a little looking into it would show that it is a world class zoo, considered by MANY to be superior to San Diego. Just sayin'...
I agree that when Googled Omaha shows up. I'm not saying I'm a world class traveler. I have never heard of the zoo before. That's not me being all 'west coast' as you put it. That's me stating fact. I have never heard of it. I have heard of the Bronx zoo though. So if someone stated that was the best, at least I have heard of it. Omaha, nothing. If I told you Temecula Valley High School was the best in the world, you would probably think 'I've never even heard of the school, how could it be the best?' That's my point. San Diego is routinely considered the best. I went there 3 weeks ago on my honeymoon. My wife and I loved it.
[Reply]
SDChiefs 09:30 PM 05-20-2019
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
I prefer my pandas grilled.
I prefer grilling as well. Touche good sir.
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 05:15 AM 05-21-2019
Originally Posted by SDChiefs:
I agree that when Googled Omaha shows up. I'm not saying I'm a world class traveler. I have never heard of the zoo before. That's not me being all 'west coast' as you put it. That's me stating fact. I have never heard of it. I have heard of the Bronx zoo though. So if someone stated that was the best, at least I have heard of it. Omaha, nothing. If I told you Temecula Valley High School was the best in the world, you would probably think 'I've never even heard of the school, how could it be the best?' That's my point. San Diego is routinely considered the best. I went there 3 weeks ago on my honeymoon. My wife and I loved it.
I hear ya. That's the problem with forums. It's difficult to tell the context of a person's words. They can be taken in a way not intended. For instance, your comment saying "San Diego says hello" could be construed as "San Diego is superior to Omaha in all ways, including our zoo". Then when you look at the further discussion, it seems to indicate that you have never been and indeed never even heard of the Omaha zoo, therefore it "isn't even close" to the San Diego zoo.

In turn, I say "Don't go all West Coast" on me, which indicates that I'm insulted by you and that I'm a Mid West guy who doesn't like the attitude of West Coast people. When what I meant was, basically, don't knock it till you've tried it.

End of the day, I'll say I was sorely disappointed when I went to San Diego for my son's graduation from Marine Boot Camp. We did not have time to check out the zoo (Which of course I've heard of, who hasn't?) because of the time crunch. I wanted to see it for myself since I know the Omaha Zoo is world renowned as well.

Anyway, if you ever had a reason to venture east, stop in Omaha and check out the zoo (perhaps during the College World Series, which is in Omaha). You'll be shocked at how grand it truly is.
[Reply]
scho63 04:49 PM 05-21-2019
Zoos are prisons for animals.....
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 06:21 PM 05-21-2019
Originally Posted by scho63:
Zoos are prisons for animals.....
Eh, ask the animals about their thoughts on it...oh wait...
[Reply]
jjkrueg 06:31 PM 05-21-2019
I’ve been to both albeit the SD Zoo about 15 years ago. Omaha is better but Omaha is much different now than it was 15 years ago, I’m sure SD is too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
CrossCheck 08:51 PM 05-21-2019
Originally Posted by SDChiefs:
I'm not arguing with you. Google worlds best zoos. San Diego is the first to come up. I've already said that I haven't even heard of the Omaha zoo until this thread. Clearly I've never been there. Nor do I plan to ever go to Omaha. You can google as well as to what the purpose of having the pandas was. Hint: it was to breed them.
Okay I googled........I have been to both and they are both outstanding

The new (five yrs ago) Travelers' Choice awards for Zoos and Aquariums around the world issued by travel website TripAdvisor is light on captive-collection specifics but high on opinion.

Naming 275 zoos and aquariums in total, the awards call the Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha, Nebraska, the world's best.

The San Diego Zoo in California comes in second place.

The site says its awards are based on "millions" of reviews from its users.

"Award winners were determined using an algorithm that took into account the quantity and quality of reviews for zoos and aquariums worldwide, gathered over a 12-month period," said the website.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/t...oos/index.html
[Reply]
Page 6 of 6
« First < 23456
Up