ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Nzoner's Game Room>Home Door Replacement Questions
CaliforniaChief 10:46 PM 12-27-2018
I have 2 doors in need of repair...

The door from the house to the garage & the door from the garage to the side yard.

I believe both frames need to be replaced, but have zero experience with that kind of thing.

Questions:
1. What kind(s) of door should I be looking for? Should they be different kinds?
2. How much expertise should one have before attempting to DIY? Or should I just shell out the money and pay someone to do it? I've looked at YouTube videos and they keep saying it's easy but it looks a bit...daunting?

Any advice on this and other anti-freeze related questions is much appreciated. Thanks!
[Reply]
srvy 09:14 AM 05-21-2019
Originally Posted by MeatRock:
Purchase a pre-hung door. Just make sure you have the correct dimensions for the rough opening to slide the door and frame inside of. Screw or nail frame to studs and do not over shim the frame. Make sure everything is square and done.
Most pre-hung doors already have the holes pre-fab'd for the door handles and/or dead bolts.
Cannot stress this enough!

I replaced an old sliding glass doorway with a prehung double steel door to my backyard. I had my older brother who had hun doors just not double doors came to help. My 80 year old Dad at the time rolled up on his motorized cart to give advice as he had built our first house long ago and had good advice to give. Well immediately my know it all brother takes over along with his volatile Irish temper. No manual or instructions would be read and Dads advice was met with rolling eyes and muttering under his breath. He proceeded to shim like crazy and double doors kept binding up when shutting. Hours passed and we were getting nowhere and he was insulting Dad. I told Dad to head home as the heat was rising to brutal. Then booted my brother before it cam to fisticuffs. Told him I was gonna hire it out.

After all was gone I pulled out the shimes and started over after reading the instructions good. I squared and shimmed the corners as manual suggested tested doors and breezeway for clearance. Was aok then lightly shimmed rest taking care not to move it just shore it up. Checked doors again and screwed the bitch in installed the doorknob and deadbolt just before the sun set. Called my brother and rubbed it in making sure to rib him on the value of reading instructions and having patience. So 12 years later the door is still opening and shutting fine even through the years of heavage from rain and dry years so guess it can be done.

My recommendation is it can be done if your handy and patient if not and you have the budget hire it out.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up