View Poll Results: How would you feel?
Happy 17 29.82%
Indifferent 9 15.79%
Underwhelmed 25 43.86%
Pissed 6 10.53%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll
Page 5 of 5
< 12345
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>How would you feel about Ladd McConkey at 32?
staylor26 11:14 AM 03-05-2024
Might be one of the more polarizing prospects I can remember on CP.
[Reply]
Jerm 01:06 PM 04-10-2024
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I don't think Kingsley or Morgan are as unlikely to start at OT at some point this season as you think. I'm not certain I'd call either surefire day 1 starters, but I think they're pretty safe bets.
The Kingsley one is weird...I'm seeing mocked a lot in the 2nd round but I don't exactly see anything wild sticking out that might cause him to drop...?

I don't get it.
[Reply]
saphojunkie 01:07 PM 04-10-2024
What does McConkey do significantly better than the guys who will be available in the 2nd?
[Reply]
saphojunkie 01:10 PM 04-10-2024
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I don't think Kingsley or Morgan are as unlikely to start at OT at some point this season as you think. I'm not certain I'd call either surefire day 1 starters, but I think they're pretty safe bets.
I agree - bring back Donovan Smith while they develop. Chiefs are a prime landing spot for someone who has all the talent and desire but lacks the development.
[Reply]
Direckshun 01:30 PM 04-10-2024
What is the point of taking a tackle in the draft if you don't intend them to start?

This team already has Wanya Morris. If you're not taking a tackle that you believe can start on day one at LT, then just sign Donovan Smith.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:36 PM 04-10-2024
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
What is the point of taking a tackle in the draft if you don't intend them to start?

This team already has Wanya Morris. If you're not taking a tackle that you believe can start on day one at LT, then just sign Donovan Smith.
You think said OT can start at some point in 2024 and beyond.

I don't think Morris is that guy.

If the organization does, they won't take an OT in the 1st. For the reasons you stated - there are no turnkey day 1 starting OTs likely to be there at 32. Though I think there are some with a chance to start, if the organization likes Morris they won't think that chance is appreciably higher than Morris has.

I just don't. So I'd rather go with someone like Morgan or Kingsley who I think will be better than Morris almost immediately and certainly long-term.

In the interim, you bring Smith back as insurance.
[Reply]
SAGA45 01:52 PM 04-10-2024
McConkey's film doesn't pop. Skyy's film didn't pop either. I'm in the underwhelmed group. I've never been a fan of players that I have to sell myself on post-pick. In that vein, McConkey would join CEH, Skyy, FAU, Kinnard, and Kaindoh in terms of the most recent classes.
[Reply]
Bowser 01:53 PM 04-10-2024
I like the idea of McConkey lined up next to Kelce, Hollywood, and Rice (provided his dumb ass isn't suspended) more than the idea of "just" taking McConkey, if that makes sense.

His speed is just "alright", especially in this offense, but his route running ability and splits are damned near elite and play very well with Mahomes feeding him the ball.
[Reply]
RunKC 01:55 PM 04-10-2024
Originally Posted by Direckshun:

This is why I think Amarius Mims or Tyler Guyton are probably the best bet at LT. They’re gonna have to trade up.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:06 PM 04-10-2024
Originally Posted by RunKC:
This is why I think Amarius Mims or Tyler Guyton are probably the best bet at LT. They’re gonna have to trade up.
I mean the same argument would apply to FAU - they clearly didn't intend for him to start last year. "Why take him?"

Well, because he was the top guy on your board and you think he'll start someday.
[Reply]
staylor26 05:38 PM 04-10-2024
Originally Posted by saphojunkie:
What does McConkey do significantly better than the guys who will be available in the 2nd?
I think he's a significantly better route runner than most of those guys, but there's not a huge difference in talent overall. If you take him at 32, it's because he's ready to play, and play a lot, right now. He's a safe bet to be a good player, especially when paired with a QB like Pat.

Now when you change that to specifically guys that will be available at the very end of the 2nd round, I'd say he's probably a significantly better prospect than most of the guys that will be available. Doesn't mean there won't be one that's relatively close though. It's a deep draft.
[Reply]
Chiefnj2 07:04 PM 04-10-2024
After signing Brown, I’m okay if they draft Ladd. We all bitched last year how receivers weren’t getting open and Ladd looks great at getting separation.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 07:18 PM 04-10-2024
I think Ladd would be a great fit and have said so in other threads. I think we go OT in first round, or if we trade out of 32 take Ladd if he's available in the early 2nd after a trade. IF we took him at 32, I think he will be a solid 1st year contributor, but a little of a reach.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 5
< 12345
Up