ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 52 of 82
« First < 2424849505152 5354555662 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Restaurants of yesteryear
Simply Red 08:33 PM 11-01-2006
What Restaurants did you grow up around? I'm not talking super fancy and yes fast-food counts. What distinctive memories do you associate with them?

Mine?

Taco Via-(the lit up menu of the various taco plates displayed on the wall), WhiteCastle-On a paper plate with fries and Pepsi, Arthur Treachers(off Noland), Tippins(off Noland), Perkins(the free toy well), Country Deli(awesome local deli to Blue Springs heated sandwiches on Sourdough buns), Zarda BBQ and Dairy, FunHouse Pizza(of Course)(Dark. Video- Games,Electonic Riding Bull and 25-cent Taco night) Annes Sante Fe.

Keep in mind I never see these anymore living in Georgia.

[Reply]
srvy 02:09 PM 04-23-2014
U-Smile Inn my parents went to that place every other Friday it seemed
[Reply]
bobbymitch 03:49 PM 04-23-2014
Yes, Chutes was bad. However, the family rebounded and now own Winsteads, the Plaza III, and several other restaurants on the Plaza. They sold all the Waids locations.

Fletchers Hickory Pit - loved the buffet. One could get the same menu items, but cheaper if you served your self.
[Reply]
srvy 03:51 PM 04-23-2014
Originally Posted by bobbymitch:
Yes, Chutes was bad. However, the family rebounded and now own Winsteads, the Plaza III, and several other restaurants on the Plaza. They sold all the Waids locations.

Fletchers Hickory Pit - loved the buffet. One could get the same menu items, but cheaper if you served your self.
Waids in Rattown forgot that place was pretty fine breakfast.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 01:28 PM 06-10-2017
I had a dream last night...I was back in Raytown in the sixties again & Kings Restaurant, Smak's, Funhouse Pizza & Katz Drugstore were in it.

Brought back a lot of great memories for me. We lived at 9901 E 79th Place(crazy how I remember the address) & had a lot of great memories of those places.

I guess I'm going thru my 2nd childhood.
[Reply]
Nickhead 04:01 PM 06-10-2017
love the timing of bumped threads. i was thinking about a joint in KCK, it was across from macca's on state avenue. early 80's restaurant that currently houses long john silvers (or at least it was LJS when i left KC.)

anyone remember it. all i can think of is it had one of those coin operated bouncy horse in the character of donald duck or sum shit. it was about two doors west of winchells :-)
[Reply]
Rain Man 07:58 AM 06-11-2017
Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat:
When I was a kid, my parents used to take us to this place called Po Folks , I believe it was in Independence, that I used to love. They had awesome fried chicken, although I was probably 5 or 6 years old so who knows if it was actually good.
My parents liked to go to those in Springfield. I was an adult so I would only go when I was in town visiting. I don't remember anything about the food, but I remember the concept being kind of humiliating. It had the look, feel, and poorly pronounced name of a place where unpolished peasants would dine. It seemed like a terrible brand concept.
[Reply]
Al Bundy 08:35 AM 06-11-2017
Mark-Ninety Drive-In over on Wornall. My mom talks about it all the time.
[Reply]
Simply Red 09:37 AM 06-11-2017
Originally Posted by Nickhead:
love the timing of bumped threads. i was thinking about a joint in KCK, it was across from macca's on state avenue. early 80's restaurant that currently houses long john silvers (or at least it was LJS when i left KC.)

anyone remember it. all i can think of is it had one of those coin operated bouncy horse in the character of donald duck or sum shit. it was about two doors west of winchells :-)

FOUND IT!

[Reply]
Baby Lee 09:41 AM 06-11-2017
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
My parents liked to go to those in Springfield. I was an adult so I would only go when I was in town visiting. I don't remember anything about the food, but I remember the concept being kind of humiliating. It had the look, feel, and poorly pronounced name of a place where unpolished peasants would dine. It seemed like a terrible brand concept.
Like I said first time around, it started out as ridiculously popular. Good food, friendly staff, great portions. Early on it was literally like Jaws was for movies, the first 'blockbuster' casual dining restaurant, with as many people waiting for a seat in the dining room as were actually dining.

And the aesthetic wasn't so much unpolished peasant as salt of the earth hillbilly. Think more Coal Miner's Daughter than Wild Whites of WV. ie, The 'Po' Folks' might not know much cipherin' and spelin' but they knew hospitality and good cookin'.

It ended up failing because as soon as they developed their customer base, they immediately started cutting back on all the things that set them apart. Less hospitality, smaller portions, no drink refills, guff about substitutions, higher prices, etc.

One wonders if they even could have sustained their business model as initially composed, though. Because the food at first was so good and so cheap, you almost felt like you were ripping them off.
[Reply]
gblowfish 10:02 AM 06-11-2017
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
I had a dream last night...I was back in Raytown in the sixties again & Kings Restaurant, Smak's, Funhouse Pizza & Katz Drugstore were in it.

Brought back a lot of great memories for me. We lived at 9901 E 79th Place(crazy how I remember the address) & had a lot of great memories of those places.

I guess I'm going thru my 2nd childhood.
My grandma used to live on 66th Street, just about two blocks east of where the old Santa Fe Trail House is at 66th and Blue Ridge. Next door to that was a shack that sold "Broasted Chicken." Not sure what "Broasting" is, but it was really good chicken. We also went to Dairy Queen in Raytown a lot.
[Reply]
gblowfish 10:04 AM 06-11-2017
Originally Posted by srvy:
Waids in Rattown forgot that place was pretty fine breakfast.
There used to be a bunch of Waid's Restaurants. They all had great breakfast. There was one on 40 Highway not too far from Arrowhead, and one by Chrisman HS in Independence. Both are gone now.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 10:19 AM 06-11-2017
Originally Posted by gblowfish:
My grandma used to live on 66th Street, just about two blocks east of where the old Santa Fe Trail House is at 66th and Blue Ridge. Next door to that was a shack that sold "Broasted Chicken." Not sure what "Broasting" is, but it was really good chicken. We also went to Dairy Queen in Raytown a lot.
Broasting is a commercialized cooking process. It's deep frying under pressure, like KFC does.

Their trade dress includes a specific marinade and coating process.

The tout it as sealing in flavors and moisture better than pan frying or open well deep frying.

http://broaster.com/
[Reply]
srvy 12:00 PM 06-11-2017
Any oldtimers like me remember the Flat Creek Inn in Sedalia. We would visit my Aunt and Uncle during state fair and eat there one evening each year. I dont know when it closed probably after the owner died.
[Reply]
chinaski 12:03 PM 06-11-2017
Originally Posted by TribalElder:
Chi-Chi's on 40 hwy

Mexican place long time ago. I think the chain went out of business after killing or poisoning a bunch of people
Was that the one by the Blue Ridge Mall? I remember that place.

Also in Raytown, Hobo Joes BBQ and Dicks Root Beer Stand. Anybody remember Pizza Inn on Raytown Road? I think it was near that Marvins Gardens nursery place?

There was also a Seafood place my parents liked called Neptunes Galley
[Reply]
srvy 12:06 PM 06-11-2017
Oh and oldies from the Northland ever eat at Dolcey's or Sandy's Oak Ridge manor before it was bought by Strouds. The old German woman could cook I was just a little guy but still have good memories that place. I did a search When the German lady died none the family wanted take over so it sold. Some of the staff had written she was a hard to work for bitch and the one of her cooks chased her with a meat cleaver lol dont know if it was in the dining area.
[Reply]
Page 52 of 82
« First < 2424849505152 5354555662 > Last »
Up