ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 9
« First < 34567 89 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Patriot defense
RaidersOftheCellar 04:57 PM 09-22-2019
Are we concerned yet?

There appears to be significant improvement.
[Reply]
Amnorix 06:56 AM 09-23-2019
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
I believe you're referring to the 2017 season, when - going into the season - we had the second hardest expected SOS.

https://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/...th-of-schedule

You're not very good at making points.

So the NFL should adjust the rotation system every year based on how good/bad the divisions are from the prior year? How is that system supposed to work? Lay it out for me -- you are the Commish and want a new scheduling system. What is it? 32 teams, 16 regular season games. GO!

By the way -- GOING INTO THE SEASON SOS is kinda garbage right? Because you can estimate/guess, but you dont' really know. Between injuries and teams being unexpectedly good/bad, you're never going to know. Which was -- PROVEN by the ACTUAL 2017 SOS -- since KC ended up having the 25th strongest (e.g. 6th weakest) SOS.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/t...ad-it-easiest/

"You're not very good at making points."
[Reply]
Yehoodi 07:00 AM 09-23-2019
I believe you're referring to the 2017 season, when - going into the season - we had the second hardest expected SOS.

https://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/...th-of-schedule

You're not very good at making points.
His point was that the schedule is random and rotates evenly year to year. So it evens out in the end.

The NFL nor the teams have any control over who you play or where you play.

Each year you play a different division in each conference. And there is a rotating schedule on home and away between teams.

The only luck of the draw is when you play a specific division is that division weak or strong in that given year.

The only thing the NFL can control is how it lines up your schedule for a given year, everything else is preset.

Last year we played the NFC North and AFC South
[Reply]
Ghost002! 07:00 AM 09-23-2019
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
Exactly

The Patriots vs Bills should be fun.
The Bill's do not have a good offense they have a good defense. Josh Allen is not a threat.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 07:10 AM 09-23-2019
Originally Posted by Amnorix:
So the NFL should adjust the rotation system every year based on how good/bad the divisions are from the prior year? How is that system supposed to work? Lay it out for me -- you are the Commish and want a new scheduling system. What is it? 32 teams, 16 regular season games. GO!

By the way -- GOING INTO THE SEASON SOS is kinda garbage right? Because you can estimate/guess, but you dont' really know. Between injuries and teams being unexpectedly good/bad, you're never going to know. Which was -- PROVEN by the ACTUAL 2017 SOS -- since KC ended up having the 25th strongest (e.g. 6th weakest) SOS.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/t...ad-it-easiest/

"You're not very good at making points."
No, to be clear, I am well, well aware of how the schedule works and I think people's complaining about it here is ridiculous. I think it's done exactly as it should be.

That doesn't change the fact that the rest of your division is weak though and that has consistently given you an advantage.
[Reply]
Yehoodi 07:10 AM 09-23-2019
It is still early in the season and we only have three games to look at and against weak teams.

With that said I do think the Pats will have one of its best defenses in a while and should be one of the best ones in the league.

Just a few points.

Pats D has not yielded a TD in the first three games. First time a team has done this since the Merger.

Going back to the end of last year the D has played solid and into the playoffs, yielded a few late TDs against LAC, and held the Rams to 3 points in the SB.

In the two games against KC last year, the Pats D held the KC offense in check for a half. And in the AFCCG held the KC offense to 0 points in a first half for the first time in Andy Reid's tenor at KC.

So who knows what the next games will bring for the Pats or how they will be in December. But as it stands now the Pats D is pretty stout.

Will be interesting to see how things look at the halfway mark of the season.
[Reply]
New World Order 07:13 AM 09-23-2019
Originally Posted by Yehoodi:
It is still early in the season and we only have three games to look at and against weak teams.

With that said I do think the Pats will have one of its best defenses in a while and should be one of the best ones in the league.

Just a few points.

Pats D has not yielded a TD in the first three games. First time a team has done this since the Merger.

Going back to the end of last year the D has played solid and into the playoffs, yielded a few late TDs against LAC, and held the Rams to 3 points in the SB.

In the two games against KC last year, the Pats D held the KC offense in check for a half. And in the AFCCG held the KC offense to 0 points in a first half for the first time in Andy Reid's tenor at KC.

So who knows what the next games will bring for the Pats or how they will be in December. But as it stands now the Pats D is pretty stout.

It's the same D as last year.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 07:16 AM 09-23-2019
Originally Posted by Yehoodi:

Just a few points.

Thanks to a Tommy John Elbow, the worst team in its first 3 games, literally, in NFL history, and mononucleosis...
[Reply]
smithandrew051 07:18 AM 09-23-2019
I don’t see a point in being concerned until we have to be. We don’t play them for awhile. A lot can change between now and then.
[Reply]
Yehoodi 07:26 AM 09-23-2019
Originally Posted by New World Order:
It's the same D as last year.
Yes is it mostly the same as last year. And the D started to play strong at the end of last year.

Collins is back in the fold, which is a big pick up.

Bennett was switched for T. Flowers, perhaps an even swap. Winovich has provided some spark. Also, our younger players have a year to grow in the system.

So yes just three games so far, but interesting to see how the rest of the season unfolds.
[Reply]
RaidersOftheCellar 07:27 AM 09-23-2019
Originally Posted by Amnorix:
It's the rotation system. Same thing was heard from Colts fans back in the mid 2000s when the rivalry was hot. Then -- either late 2000s or into the early 2010s, the roles were reversed and the Pats had to go there three seasons in a row.

And of course idiot Pats fans -- who seemingly had some kind of short term memory issues -- are crying about the same f'ing thing. JFC. :-)

It's a rotation system. Every year:

1. 6 games against your division opponents

2. 4 games against one other division in the OTHER conference (AFC/NFC)
- note, 2 home, 2 away. The next time you play that division, the home/away teams flip

3. 4 games against one other division in your conference
- same note re: home/away

4. 2 games against the the teams who finished in the same place as your team in the same-conference divisions that you aren't playing the whole schedule for. For example, the Chiefs this year are playing the entire AFC South. That means you play against the two teams (Pats/Ravens) who finished in the same place as the Chiefs (first) in the two divisions (AFC North and East) that are in your conference (AFC) that are not in the division you're playing every team (AFC South).

That last one is tough, but it's what triggers this 3 years in a row thing. Starting next year, the Pats play KC at home (because the last time the Pats played the entire AFC West KC played at NE). Then the next two years it's AT the same AFC West division finishing team. Could be KC, but might not be. All depends on prior year standings.
I understand the system for determining opponents, but I’m not clear on the system for determining the locations for the two extra AFC games.
[Reply]
Yehoodi 07:28 AM 09-23-2019
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:
Thanks to a Tommy John Elbow, the worst team in its first 3 games, literally, in NFL history, and mononucleosis...
Yes the teams were weak, be interesting to see the up coming weeks.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 07:31 AM 09-23-2019
they still haven't played anybody.

They've had a 7 week pre-season schedule.
[Reply]
Amnorix 07:31 AM 09-23-2019
No, to be clear, I am well, well aware of how the schedule works and I think people's complaining about it here is ridiculous. I think it's done exactly as it should be.

That doesn't change the fact that the rest of your division is weak though and that has consistently given you an advantage.
That's somewhat overblown, but those arguments have been thrashed and thrashed over and over. As for 2019 -- the AFC West outside of KC isn't impressing me much more than the AFC East outside of NE.
[Reply]
Mecca 07:32 AM 09-23-2019
I have to admit there is serious comedy in releasing AB then seeing Edelman and Gordon both get hurt.
[Reply]
RaidersOftheCellar 08:01 AM 09-23-2019
Originally Posted by Ghost002!:
The chiefs were beat twice last year by them. How is it all of a sudden they can match up?? You lost twice to them one being at home.

I read this on the site and thought it was pretty funny. The Pats got AB because they were scared of the chiefs...so if the chiefs had picked up AB. Then would it have been the chiefs scared of the pats?

Your defensive line got pushed around last year in the playoffs allowing the Pats backs to run all over the field.

Was that address at all by the chiefs in the off season?
KC’s D-line was definitely upgraded. It’s a very talented unit.

I don’t think it’s ridiculous to suggest that NE signed Brown in response to an arms race with KC. It’s very un-Belichick-like to sign/give a big contract to that type of player. When uncharacteristic moves are made, it generally means they think they need help. And who would they be more concerned about than KC?

They know that Mahomes is likely to be even better and make fewer mistakes in year two (and he is). They also realize that KC made significant upgrades to the defensive coaching staff and upgraded talent. And that Mahomes has even more weapons to work with.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 9
« First < 34567 89 >
Up