ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2493 of 3903
« First < 1493199323932443248324892490249124922493 249424952496249725032543259329933493 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
lewdog 07:36 AM 07-02-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Just curious if layoffs added to this? I know there were layoffs and such in AZ at hospitals like there have been pretty much everywhere else. Banner Health comes to mind but I don't know how big they are.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Banner is largest hospital network here. What I’m hearing is Banner doesn’t want to hire back furloughed nurses until they’ve “served” their time out so they can get a tax break from the furloughing. Also rumor there’s a tax break with hiring contract nurses. That’s just what I’m hearing through hospital case managers. Other issues are many nurses simply don’t want to come back to work under exhausting conditions and concerns with PPE treating COVID.
[Reply]
dirk digler 07:41 AM 07-02-2020
You mean because we have so much more testing.

because of infections, not because of surveillance.
[Reply]
petegz28 07:47 AM 07-02-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
because of infections, not because of surveillance.
Uh huh...2 months ago we were testing about 150k a day. Now we are almost at 600k.......

[Reply]
Donger 07:54 AM 07-02-2020
If curious, this shows number of tests per state and positives:

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/...ual-states/usa

Arizona approaching 20%, I guess.
[Reply]
petegz28 08:09 AM 07-02-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Banner is largest hospital network here. What I’m hearing is Banner doesn’t want to hire back furloughed nurses until they’ve “served” their time out so they can get a tax break from the furloughing. Also rumor there’s a tax break with hiring contract nurses. That’s just what I’m hearing through hospital case managers. Other issues are many nurses simply don’t want to come back to work under exhausting conditions and concerns with PPE treating COVID.
That all sucks, lew. Delete that post and come back with something a little more positive!!!

Seriously though, that does suck. We are seeing this across the country. Our elected imbeciles who decided to keep hamstringing hospitals even after it was evident there wouldn't be a run on them are now a key reason why some hospitals are having a hard time. They actually broke there very thing they were trying to protect.
[Reply]
Chitownchiefsfan 08:27 AM 07-02-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
If curious, this shows number of tests per state and positives:

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/...ual-states/usa

Arizona approaching 20%, I guess.
So I'm comparing Illinois to arizona on this. Right now Illinois has twice as many tests and about 2.7 positive rate.

My question is why does Arizona have half as many tests considering the surge going on right now? Is it lack of tests, less people going in to be tested or just because they have a smaller population?
[Reply]
petegz28 08:30 AM 07-02-2020
Originally Posted by Chitownchiefsfan:
So I'm comparing Illinois to arizona on this. Right now Illinois has twice as many tests and about 2.7 positive rate.

My question is why does Arizona have half as many tests considering the surge going on right now? Is it lack of tests, less people going in to be tested or just because they have a smaller population?
There is a delay right now with getting the regent needed for testing as well as some other resource issues like not having enough machines in the labs to handle all the testing. Whether that is the issue with AZ I don't know. Also keep in mind that Illinois was slammed pretty hard early on while Az wasn't.
[Reply]
Chitownchiefsfan 08:33 AM 07-02-2020
There is a delay right now with getting the regent needed for testing as well as some other resource issues like not having enough machines in the labs to handle all the testing. Whether that is the issue with AZ I don't know.
I've also noticed Florida is doing at least 35,000 tests a day and Arizona has never done more than 20,000.

Seems like a shortcoming for Arizona.
[Reply]
alnorth 08:57 AM 07-02-2020

Until I created this map, I hadn't appreciated how bad the situation in the US is. These maps show districts with over 50 cases per 100k in the last week (Germany's "emergency brake" trigger for local lockdowns) in 🇩🇪, 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿, 🇺🇸

The USA right now has 1000 Leicesters or Güterslohs pic.twitter.com/seMnorew3h

— Ste JM 🚊🛰🐦 (@stejormur) July 1, 2020

[Reply]
dirk digler 09:18 AM 07-02-2020
Official U.S. coronavirus death toll is ‘a substantial undercount’ of actual tally, Yale study finds

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/01/offi...r&par=sharebar

The number of confirmed U.S. deaths due to the coronavirus is substantially lower than the true tally, according to a study published Wednesday in JAMA Internal Medicine.

Using National Center for Health Statistics data, researchers at Yale University compared the number of excess U.S. deaths from any causes with the reported number of weekly U.S. Covid-19 deaths from March 1 through May 30. The numbers were then compared with deaths from the same period in previous years.

Researchers found that the excess number of deaths over normal levels also exceeded those attributed to Covid-19, leading them to conclude that many of those fatalities were likely caused by the coronavirus but not confirmed. State reporting discrepancies and a sharp increase in U.S. deaths amid a pandemic suggest the number of Covid-19 fatalities is undercounted, they said.

“Our analyses suggest that the official tally of deaths due to Covid-19 represent a substantial undercount of the true burden,” Dan Weinberger, an epidemiologist at Yale School of Public Health and a lead author of the study, told CNBC. Weinberger said other factors could contribute to the increase in deaths, such as people avoiding emergency treatment for things like heart attacks. However, he doesn’t think that is the main driver.

The study was supported by the National Institute of Health.

The 781,000 total deaths in the United States in the three months through May 30 were about 122,300, or nearly 19% higher, than what would normally be expected, according to the researchers. Of the 122,300 excess deaths, 95,235 were attributed to Covid-19, they said. Most of the rest of the excess deaths, researchers said, were likely related to or directly caused by the coronavirus.

The number of excess deaths from any causes were 28% higher than the official tally of U.S. Covid-19 deaths during those months. The researchers noted the increase in excess deaths in many states trailed an increase in outpatient visits from people reporting an “influenza-like illness.”
[Reply]
eDave 09:34 AM 07-02-2020
Cases: All time highs on the 3-day total and 7-day avg charts yet again. Crossing the 100,000 case threshold seems likely by mid next week. 7-day death avg. continues to tick up.

Testing: PCR Testing dropped by about 6K tests from yesterday (17K down to 11K).

Spread: Overall PCR positive test percentage moved up from 12.4% to 12.5% (based on 560K tests, up from a 6.6% low) and the average for this week moved down from 24% to 23% (based on 7K cases, up from 20% last week).

Hospital Utilization: COVID Hospitalizations went up 2% (another all time high). ICU beds for COVID patients shot up 7% (Overall ICU bed usage held at 89%). Ventilators in use for COVID went up nearly 5%.

Data Source: ADHS
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 09:36 AM 07-02-2020
That all sucks, lew. Delete that post and come back with something a little more positive!!!

Seriously though, that does suck. We are seeing this across the country. Our elected imbeciles who decided to keep hamstringing hospitals even after it was evident there wouldn't be a run on them are now a key reason why some hospitals are having a hard time. They actually broke there very thing they were trying to protect.
Yeah, clearly there's no run on hospitals...
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 09:37 AM 07-02-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
Official U.S. coronavirus death toll is ‘a substantial undercount’ of actual tally, Yale study finds

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/01/offi...r&par=sharebar

The number of confirmed U.S. deaths due to the coronavirus is substantially lower than the true tally, according to a study published Wednesday in JAMA Internal Medicine.

Using National Center for Health Statistics data, researchers at Yale University compared the number of excess U.S. deaths from any causes with the reported number of weekly U.S. Covid-19 deaths from March 1 through May 30. The numbers were then compared with deaths from the same period in previous years.

Researchers found that the excess number of deaths over normal levels also exceeded those attributed to Covid-19, leading them to conclude that many of those fatalities were likely caused by the coronavirus but not confirmed. State reporting discrepancies and a sharp increase in U.S. deaths amid a pandemic suggest the number of Covid-19 fatalities is undercounted, they said.

“Our analyses suggest that the official tally of deaths due to Covid-19 represent a substantial undercount of the true burden,” Dan Weinberger, an epidemiologist at Yale School of Public Health and a lead author of the study, told CNBC. Weinberger said other factors could contribute to the increase in deaths, such as people avoiding emergency treatment for things like heart attacks. However, he doesn’t think that is the main driver.

The study was supported by the National Institute of Health.

The 781,000 total deaths in the United States in the three months through May 30 were about 122,300, or nearly 19% higher, than what would normally be expected, according to the researchers. Of the 122,300 excess deaths, 95,235 were attributed to Covid-19, they said. Most of the rest of the excess deaths, researchers said, were likely related to or directly caused by the coronavirus.

The number of excess deaths from any causes were 28% higher than the official tally of U.S. Covid-19 deaths during those months. The researchers noted the increase in excess deaths in many states trailed an increase in outpatient visits from people reporting an “influenza-like illness.”
That one guy whose death was falsely attributed to COVID outweighs this.
[Reply]
Donger 10:26 AM 07-02-2020
The current spike in new coronavirus numbers is due to an increase in cases, not because of more testing, Admiral Dr. Brett Giroir, assistant secretary for health for the US Department of Health and Human Services said on Thursday.

"“There is no question that the more testing you get, the more you will uncover – but we do believe this is a real increase in cases, because the percent positivity’s are going up. So, this is real increases in cases,” Giroir told the House Select Committee on Coronavirus. "

Giroir the US we did flatten the curve earlier during the pandemic, but “we are not flattening the curve right now, the curve is still going up.”

Across the US, some states are doing better than others, Giroir said, “four states are counting for about 50% of our new cases, and they're very concerning to all in public health.”

Those states are California, Arizona, Texas and Florida – which all posted record new cases this week, according to Johns Hopkins data.

Giroir, who has recently been critical of younger generations said, “we really do believe the current outbreak is primarily due to under 35s, with a lot of gatherings and not appropriate protection – like masks.”
[Reply]
Donger 10:27 AM 07-02-2020
The Florida Department of Health is reporting 10,109 additional coronavirus cases, bringing the state total to 169,106, according to data released by the state.

Today's numbers mark a new record daily high of infections in the state of Florida since the start of the pandemic. The previous record was set on Saturday, when the start reported just more than 9,500 new cases.
[Reply]
Page 2493 of 3903
« First < 1493199323932443248324892490249124922493 249424952496249725032543259329933493 > Last »
Up