ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 9 of 11
« First < 56789 1011 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Pellet Grills
Buehler445 10:13 AM 05-08-2019
My old LP grill is to the point where it needs parts or needs to go. The wife is thinking a pellet grill might be better for her to use.

I thought there was a thread on here about them, but the one I could dig up is over a decade old.

What are you guys running these days? Pros/Cons?

I don't know much about anything except Traegers and people I know have had trouble with them.

I'd PROBABLY be leaving it outside so I'd need a cover for it.
[Reply]
xbarretx 10:44 AM 10-31-2019
Originally Posted by Beef Supreme:
Might as well just use an oven. These things aren't "grills."
Beef Supreme dropping truth bombs like they are HOT! :-)

Seriously though, im not anti those types of grills I want a real smoker that takes effort to get just right...otherwise what excuse do i have to get some quiet time outside with the smoker/grill?

I am sure it would go something like this.....

Wife: Hey hon, can you help me with these dishes?

Me: Cant, gotta keep an eye on the grill

Wife: isnt that why we got a pellet grill?

Me: Runs outside and hides while "almost" twisting my knee

If i do not have a pellet grill....I can simply nod at her, then the grill/smoker outside and shrug while im cracking open a fresh beer and say "sorry, cant let the food burn or dry out"

#WINNING!!!!!
[Reply]
xbarretx 10-31-2019, 12:43 PM
This message has been deleted by xbarretx.
Fire Me Boy! 12:54 PM 10-31-2019
Originally Posted by Beef Supreme:
Might as well just use an oven. These things aren't "grills."
Not grills. Smokers/convection ovens. At low temps, they produce significant smoke.
[Reply]
Beef Supreme 03:12 PM 10-31-2019
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
Not grills. Smokers/convection ovens. At low temps, they produce significant smoke.
Ehhh, to be honest I was just quoting a friend who bought one. He is a great cook and grills a killer steak. He was having buyers remorse, and ready to go back to his old Weber egg.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 03:14 PM 10-31-2019
It's good to have multiple types of grills/smokers/convection ovens.
[Reply]
Buzz 06:33 PM 10-31-2019
My only problem with the pellet grills is they lack the charcoal flavor. I definitely like the ease of use though.
[Reply]
Shiver Me Timbers 07:43 PM 10-31-2019
I have owned a pellet (trager), a smoker, a 2 natural gas grills over the past 10 years. I bought a Green Egg 18 months ago. I got rid of everything else after 4 months. For me there is nothing that has even come close. I am still amazed at how easy it is to keep the temp at 225 for 16 hours or cranking it up to 700 plus for the best damn seared tenderloin I have ever been able to make. I even wood fire Pizza on the damn thing.
It is not as "convenient" as the gasser but grilling has now returned to being a hobby and the passion has returned.
(my 2c)
[Reply]
BryanBusby 07:50 PM 10-31-2019
Originally Posted by Buzz:
My only problem with the pellet grills is they lack the charcoal flavor. I definitely like the ease of use though.
I'm actually the opposite. If I'm going low and slow than I'd rather not have charcoal flavor and would rather have the wood blend.
[Reply]
xbarretx 08:47 AM 11-01-2019
Originally Posted by Shiver Me Timbers:
I have owned a pellet (trager), a smoker, a 2 natural gas grills over the past 10 years. I bought a Green Egg 18 months ago. I got rid of everything else after 4 months. For me there is nothing that has even come close. I am still amazed at how easy it is to keep the temp at 225 for 16 hours or cranking it up to 700 plus for the best damn seared tenderloin I have ever been able to make. I even wood fire Pizza on the damn thing.
It is not as "convenient" as the gasser but grilling has now returned to being a hobby and the passion has returned.
(my 2c)
I am in the same boat and once my house is built ill be getting either a BGE or a Kamado Joe (or however its spelled). I wasnt kidding about my previous post.... For me, pellet "grills" are the equivalent of putting out deer corn...sure it works but is it REALLY a victory? IF your wanting it to be that easy, just pay someone else to do it.

On second thought, are there any threads on BGE/Kamado and such?
[Reply]
Sorce 02:42 PM 11-01-2019
I've seen charcoal pellets.
[Reply]
Buzz 09:19 PM 11-01-2019
Originally Posted by Sorce:
I've seen charcoal pellets.

Where at?
[Reply]
Buzz 09:23 PM 11-01-2019
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
I'm actually the opposite. If I'm going low and slow than I'd rather not have charcoal flavor and would rather have the wood blend.
To each his own, I don't agree.
[Reply]
The Rick 09:41 PM 11-01-2019
This looks pretty interesting to me. Charcoal with the ease of a pellet.

https://www.masterbuilt.com/pages/gravity-series-560
[Reply]
Sorce 09:00 AM 11-02-2019
Where at?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pit-Boss-...20LB/467052299
[Reply]
Buehler445 06:40 PM 01-09-2020
Originally Posted by Sorce:
What pellets are people using? Ordered 200lbs with my rec tec so that will last me a while but just wondering people's opinions on other brands / mixes?
FWIW, I've used Traeger, Camp Chef and Rec Tec Pellets. The Rec Tec ones make far less dust than the other 2. That's what I'm using hence forth.
[Reply]
Peter Gibbons 06:47 PM 01-09-2020
Originally Posted by xbarretx:
Beef Supreme dropping truth bombs like they are HOT! :-)

Seriously though, im not anti those types of grills I want a real smoker that takes effort to get just right...otherwise what excuse do i have to get some quiet time outside with the smoker/grill?

I am sure it would go something like this.....

Wife: Hey hon, can you help me with these dishes?

Me: Cant, gotta keep an eye on the grill

Wife: isnt that why we got a pellet grill?

Me: Runs outside and hides while "almost" twisting my knee

If i do not have a pellet grill....I can simply nod at her, then the grill/smoker outside and shrug while im cracking open a fresh beer and say "sorry, cant let the food burn or dry out"

#WINNING!!!!!
I have a Kamado Joe with the iKamand (PID controller) that’s allows me to get the high smoke flavor I want with the ease of a pellet grill. I couple that with a ThermoWorks “Signals” Wifi temp monitor for a backup. It really feels like cheating.
[Reply]
Page 9 of 11
« First < 56789 1011 >
Up