ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 102 of 208
« First < 252929899100101102 103104105106112152202 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*.* NEW- 2014 General Fitness Thread *.*
penguinz 01:44 PM 08-13-2014
I guess we filled up the old one... http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=280149

Welcome to 2014! Now get your ass in top physical condition!

No one else started it so here it is!

**From the 2013 Thread**

If you want to get back into lifting, or need a new lifting routine, START HERE:

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi...inner_Programs

If you have questions about the SS programs, look here:

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ

Keep in mind that you're a novice lifter for a longer period of time than you think you are. Novice lifting can last anywhere from a few months to a year or two, depending on how hard you hit the weights and where you started.

Once you've reached the point where you don't make regular progress on the SS program, you are ready to move on to the intermediate stage, which can last you for a good number of years. Find it HERE:

http://madcow.hostzi.com/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm

If you're a very advanced lifter (many, many years of CONSISTENT weight training), then there are lot of programs out there, and which one you pick is simply a matter of preference. If you're really that advanced, you should know what works for you and what doesn't by this point.
[Reply]
Aspengc8 08:20 AM 04-15-2015
Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Williams:
Alright. So here's the deal: I have a shitty right rotator and can not bring the bar all the way down to my chest, and can only go 1/2. Am I reaping any benefit from benching, or should I just do the push up variations where I CAN come all the way down?
Dude get away from the bar and use dumbells. I bet you will have full range of motion with a nuetral grip dumbell bench. I had the same issues with my separation.

As far as goals are concerned, I don't see a reason to barbell bench unless your a powerlifter. you can get plenty strong with dumbells, a bit safer (no spotter required to go heavy) and you can easily change grip/elbow position if you have shoulder issues.

To be honest, I know guys that have a sick chest physique wise, and they just do different types of flies. The pectoral muscles job, after all, is to bring the humurus across your chest (fly motion). I'm not advocating not to use it, but if that shit is hurting your shoulder, then don't risk it. DB bench is a compound movement as well.

edit: to anyone that is having shoulder issues, whether its rotator or impingement.. double up on your rear delt work. face pulls, rear delt DB flies, reverse pec deck, band pull aparts. Do em.. alot. Don't wait for 'shoulder' day or whatever. Do them as much as possible.
[Reply]
NewChief 08:34 AM 04-15-2015
Originally Posted by Aspengc8:
Dude get away from the bar and use dumbells. I bet you will have full range of motion with a nuetral grip dumbell bench. I had the same issues with my separation.

As far as goals are concerned, I don't see a reason to barbell bench unless your a powerlifter. you can get plenty strong with dumbells, a bit safer (no spotter required to go heavy) and you can easily change grip/elbow position if you have shoulder issues.

To be honest, I know guys that have a sick chest physique wise, and they just do different types of flies. The pectoral muscles job, after all, is to bring the humurus across your chest (fly motion). I'm not advocating not to use it, but if that shit is hurting your shoulder, then don't risk it. DB bench is a compound movement as well.

edit: to anyone that is having shoulder issues, whether its rotator or impingement.. double up on your rear delt work. face pulls, rear delt DB flies, reverse pec deck, band pull aparts. Do em.. alot. Don't wait for 'shoulder' day or whatever. Do them as much as possible.
I pretty much stick to dumbbell bench (incline usually). My main problem is in getting the dumbbells up, though. That initial move from bells resting on thighs to sitting back, rotating them up, then pressing them for the first time isn't always smooth and often leads to failure on a weight that I can technically press.

In other words, I can actually press a heavier weight than I'm capable of getting into the pressing position. I feel like this limits my ability to have as good of gains as I should with dumbbell chest exercises.

Any advice on cleaning up the movement to get the bells into pressing position? I could always ask for a spot and some assistance in getting the bells up for the initial press, but I usually prefer to work independently.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 10:28 AM 04-15-2015
Originally Posted by NewChief:
I pretty much stick to dumbbell bench (incline usually). My main problem is in getting the dumbbells up, though. That initial move from bells resting on thighs to sitting back, rotating them up, then pressing them for the first time isn't always smooth and often leads to failure on a weight that I can technically press.

In other words, I can actually press a heavier weight than I'm capable of getting into the pressing position. I feel like this limits my ability to have as good of gains as I should with dumbbell chest exercises.

Any advice on cleaning up the movement to get the bells into pressing position? I could always ask for a spot and some assistance in getting the bells up for the initial press, but I usually prefer to work independently.

I often have the same issue, although I'll usually do the flat bench dumbbell press. I find that a bit easier as I can essentially just fall back with the weights in hand. It doesn't require so much work as to raise it to your shoulders on incline.

But still.. Annoying.
[Reply]
penguinz 11:12 AM 04-15-2015
Originally Posted by Numbah One:
Admittedly, fairly shitty. It's never been an issue before though.
Age. Do lots of heel drop stretches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmfSJmXLpo4
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 11:15 AM 04-15-2015
Originally Posted by penguinz:
Age. Do lots of heel drop stretches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmfSJmXLpo4
Excellent. I'm going to rest for a couple more days and then try this.
[Reply]
penguinz 11:37 AM 04-15-2015
Try and get to where you are holding the stretch for 3 minutes a few times a day.

Don't wait until things are too bad to start. I am looking at my second achilles reconstruction. :-(
[Reply]
KC native 11:44 AM 04-15-2015
You wouldn't be in this situation if you had just eaten some quest bars.
[Reply]
Faddy Yomama 12:06 PM 04-15-2015
I'm engaging in a general sedentary lifestyle. Fitness is something I do once a month.
[Reply]
Aspengc8 02:57 PM 04-15-2015
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
I often have the same issue, although I'll usually do the flat bench dumbbell press. I find that a bit easier as I can essentially just fall back with the weights in hand. It doesn't require so much work as to raise it to your shoulders on incline.

But still.. Annoying.
hell yeah flat is so much easier to just rock back and get the weight up. Incline is a bit harder but if you can't 'knee swing' it up and press from a dead stop, its probably too heavy. I pretty much make sure the inside of the dumbell touches my pec every rep, with a slight pause. I used to do all my BB benching with a full pause when I was running 5/3/1.
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 05:12 PM 04-15-2015
Originally Posted by Aspengc8:

Right on! :-)
[Reply]
penguinz 08:12 AM 04-20-2015

[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 04:55 PM 04-20-2015
Please, dude ain't got SHIT on ol' 176.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 06:35 PM 04-20-2015
Achilles has improved a bit, but still needs rest. I need to look at some new shoes, however.

In the past I usually wore New Balance or Asics for my wide feet, as they come in wider widths. The achilles tendon issue is giving me pause and making me look at better overall running shoes, however.

Any advice?
[Reply]
lewdog 06:40 PM 04-20-2015
Achilles has improved a bit, but still needs rest. I need to look at some new shoes, however.

In the past I usually wore New Balance or Asics for my wide feet, as they come in wider widths. The achilles tendon issue is giving me pause and making me look at better overall running shoes, however.

Any advice?
Run barefoot. It's what the hipsters do.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 02:29 AM 04-23-2015
Sick gains, bro.

[Reply]
Page 102 of 208
« First < 252929899100101102 103104105106112152202 > Last »
Up