ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 62 of 94
« First < 12525859606162 6364656672 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>UPDATE: Ford to 49ers for a 2020 2nd round pick. Official.
Dante84 06:19 PM 03-12-2019

More trade news: The #Chiefs are deep in talks with the #49ers on a trade for star pass-rusher Dee Ford, sources say. Things have escalated and this could get done by the end of the night. Ford needs to work out a new contract with SF, which is a big piece of this.

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) March 13, 2019

The trade is essentially agreed to — Ford for a 2020 2nd round pick. That assumes the #49ers get a deal done with Ford. https://t.co/g4tYK2tWFh

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) March 13, 2019

[Reply]
Bob Dole 10:25 AM 03-13-2019
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
Yes.
Doesn’t seem like a good deal to me. Trading a high pick proven commodity for a lesser pick unproven commodity.
[Reply]
ModSocks 10:26 AM 03-13-2019
Originally Posted by FAX:

What I do know is that Dorsey is a scout. That's what he is. He should never have been elevated to the GM level. Never. He lacks the scope of skills necessary to the "entire" job. I am convinced of that
Based on what? Paying an All Pro Safety and beloved KC icon a top contract? Have you been paying attention? That's how the NFL works. Top 2 at your position makes top 2 money.

Same applies to Justin Houston.

People were bitching about the LDT and Fisher contracts...well look at them now.

We had Ballard and Dorsey ran him off because they were incompatible and Dorsey had the keys. Think about that.
Unsubstantiated rumor.

But it's okay. We all have strengths and shortcomings we have to take that in stride. But when people start projecting Demi-God-Like Powers on Dorsey ... well ... I'm out.

I can almost guarantee that, unless there's a work-stoppage or brand-new CBA, Dorsey will utterly bankrupt the Browns in 3 years. Market down.

FAX
[Reply]
Eleazar 10:26 AM 03-13-2019
It's hard to understand the "Veach screwed this up! We didn't get full value for him!" position. It was known that Ford was being shopped. Any team that was interested could have contacted us. We talked with more than one team about him. Is the suggestion that Veach had better offers on the table for Ford and ignored them in favor of the 49ers offer? Did Veach supposedly not want to get more in return? Do we think he made the deal and saw he had missed calls from every team in the league, whoops?

Are we saying that Ford is worth far more than we got for him, but no other team wanted to step in and offer us a little more than SF did?

If we should be disappointed in anything, it's that Ford's game just didn't generate as much interest from the league as we were hoping. Maybe they have the same idea that the Chiefs do, that we are selling high on Ford, but that it might be a good gamble for a moribund team like the 49ers?
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:27 AM 03-13-2019
Originally Posted by Bob Dole:
Doesn’t seem like a good deal to me. Trading a high pick proven commodity for a lesser pick unproven commodity.
I don't understand how Dee Ford is a proven commodity. Sorry.
[Reply]
ModSocks 10:27 AM 03-13-2019
Originally Posted by Eleazar:
It's hard to understand the "Veach screwed this up! We didn't get full value for him!" position. It was known that Ford was being shopped. Any team that was interested could have contacted us. We talked with more than one team about him. Is the suggestion that Veach had better offers on the table for Ford and ignored them in favor of the 49ers offer? Did Veach supposedly not want to get more in return? Do we think he made the deal and saw he had missed calls from every team in the league, whoops?

Are we saying that Ford is worth far more than we got for him, but no other team wanted to step in and offer us a little more than SF did?

If we should be disappointed in anything, it's that Ford's game just didn't generate as much interest from the league as we were hoping. Maybe they have the same idea that the Chiefs do, that we are selling high on Ford, but that it might be a good gamble for a moribund team like the 49ers?
Generated enough interest to pay him $90M though didn't he?
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:28 AM 03-13-2019

Exactly.

The Packers were in on Dee Ford and decided they'd rather have Za'Darius and Preston Smith. If that doesn't tell you a lot about the league's thoughts on Ford then you're just not paying attention.
[Reply]
tredadda 10:29 AM 03-13-2019
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Yea and Veach’s first year was a failure, right?

You didn’t expect to be 6 inches or a coin flip away from the SB either.
And he did it on the backs of Dorsey players. Argue how he handles contracts all you want but his eye for talent is superb.
[Reply]
Eleazar 10:29 AM 03-13-2019
Originally Posted by Buckweath:
John Dorsey was arguably the very best GM in the league at drafting during his Chiefs tenure but people are still saying why he couldn't find such and such player (on defense).

So silly..

You look at the global picture. He is as good as you can get. And he did have several good picks on defense (Jones, Peters, Nelson, Ford, etc.).

Veach might be just as good though.
The main black marks on Dorsey's record are the Houston and Berry contracts, even though those were very Chiefs ownership-ish things to do... pay big money to keep fan favorites in place even when it may not be the best idea to do so.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:30 AM 03-13-2019
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Generated enough interest to pay him $90M though didn't he?
The 49ers can afford to gamble with $90M. The Packers, with Aaron Rodgers, didn't feel it was worth the risk.

Neither did the Chiefs.

Seems I was right all along.
[Reply]
Bob Dole 10:31 AM 03-13-2019
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I don't understand how Dee Ford is a proven commodity. Sorry.
Okay. I’m sure [insert college junior’s name] will have more impact plays than Ford.
[Reply]
ModSocks 10:33 AM 03-13-2019
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
The 49ers can afford to gamble with $90M. The Packers, with Aaron Rodgers, didn't feel it was worth the risk.

Neither did the Chiefs.

Seems I was right all along.
Actually, no, you're not proven right.

The Packers got two players instead up dumping it all in one.

The Chiefs likely didn't feel he was a schematic fit.

Neither are evidence that teams thought he wasn't worth the risk.
[Reply]
FAX 10:35 AM 03-13-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
You don't think John Dorsey did a great job turning a 3-win football team with holes up and down its roster into an immediate playoff time that averaged double-digit wins/season in his tenure?

I mean...wha?
Wha, you ask?

Dorsey came into this job as a first-time GM. A rookie. Think about that for a second, okay? No prior GM experience. For anybody. Ever.

Now, let's ask ourselves; who do we think was behind the fundamental decisions made prior to and during that 2013 season? We had Wally (who had run personnel in Philly) and we had Ballard (who was a key front-office guy in Chicago for a decade or more). Yet, I'm supposed to give Dorsey all the credit and shame those who don't?

Look at the defensive roster that year. I mean, damn. Great players everywhere ... and in their prime. We brought in a couple of offensive guys (including AS11) and "voila!" wins! Playoffs! Hooda thunk it?

Let's just temper our Dorsey enthusiasm with a tad of objectivity. That's all I'm saying, really.

FAX
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:36 AM 03-13-2019
Originally Posted by Bob Dole:
Okay. I’m sure [insert college junior’s name] will have more impact plays than Ford.
They will if Ford gets hurt again, which is exactly the gamble the 49ers decided to take.
[Reply]
ModSocks 10:36 AM 03-13-2019
The main black marks on Dorsey's record are the Houston and Berry contracts, even though those were very Chiefs ownership-ish things to do... pay big money to keep fan favorites in place even when it may not be the best idea to do so.
Bullshit hindsight false narrative.

Berry was coming off a fantastic season and voted to yet ANOTHER All-Pro team and looked every bit like his old self.

Houston had just come off a 22 sack season.

Now, what do players like that get in the open market?

We're talking about two players at the height of their positions at the time.

Meanwhile, we're over here celebrating Tyrann Mathieu getting paid MORE than Berry, in a market that was flooded with safeties.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:36 AM 03-13-2019
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Actually, no, you're not proven right.

The Packers got two players instead up dumping it all in one.

The Chiefs likely didn't feel he was a schematic fit.

Neither are evidence that teams thought he wasn't worth the risk.
:-)
[Reply]
Page 62 of 94
« First < 12525859606162 6364656672 > Last »
Up