ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 9 of 17
« First < 56789 10111213 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*****Severe Weather Thread-2020*****
displacedinMN 09:14 AM 04-11-2020
Many may know-I am a weather watcher. I have a weather station at school that posts to many weather services. Also have a website with a Twitter account. (with a Chiefs list)

Below is the Windy.com map. I centered it on KC but it can be moved to where you are located. Or go to Windy.com-there is also an app.
Very versatile and tons of possibilities. This map is fully functional for the viewer.

Some have already had severe weather-where as I am looking at 5 inches of snow for Easter.

Live storm chasers videos https://www.severestudios.com/livechase/

Pasta Little Brioni 06:10 PM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
Our corn and buildings are still vertical.
Nice!
displacedinMN 06:12 PM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball:
Nice!
Renter said it was windy-but the storm moved south
displacedinMN 08:44 PM 08-10-2020

Evolution of today's damaging derecho, from a cluster of thunderstorms in South Dakota to its passage through Chicago, overlapped with Storm Prediction Center damaging wind reports: pic.twitter.com/zubbN2naYd

— Tomer Burg (@burgwx) August 11, 2020

displacedinMN 08:51 PM 08-10-2020

What an incredible time lapse as the derecho moved through Chicago. #ILwx #derecho pic.twitter.com/zJf8wX56a1

— Tyler Roney (@TylerJRoney) August 10, 2020

Iowanian 09:18 PM 08-10-2020
Iowa got its ass kicked today. Lots of bad things happen d to a lot of people, lots of huge trees down and power poles snapped off. I was in the middle of it. A coworker had a semi flipped over right in front of him.

On the bright side, it's not all bad for my workplace.
displacedinMN 08:43 PM 08-11-2020
JASPER COUNTY, Iowa —
Early estimates indicate that 10 million acres of farmland was flatted Monday during the derecho, according to Gov. Kim Reynolds.

Reynolds said during her Tuesday news conference that the state estimates at least one third of Iowa crops sustained damage during the severe storms.

The devastation comes as a second blow to Iowa farmers already dealing with a trade war and the COVID-19 pandemic.

Jasper County farmer Brian Rumbaugh said Monday’s storm flattened most of his 450 acres of corn, destroying what he said would have been a good crop.

Rumbaugh said he has never seen a natural disaster comparable to the derecho in his 50 years of farming.

“This is the worst one I've ever had,” he said. “We had tornadoes go through a while back, tornadoes 300-400 feet wide, (but) this was everything.”

Rumbaugh said his crop insurance will likely make up for some of the losses, though other farmers may not be as lucky.

“It's probably 30-40 years I've had it, and thank God,” he said. “That's what you have insurance for is a failsafe, but I've never collected a dime … which is good. Now they owe me.”

State officials said farmers may be eligible for federal assistance as the state continues to assess storm damage

“A part of that federal assistance could be a Small Business Administration declaration or a U.S. Secretary of Agriculture designation, which provides resources for impacted farmers,” said Joyce Flinn, with Iowa Homeland Security and Emergency Management.

Despite 2020’s misfortunes, Rumbaugh said he has been farming long enough to know that, eventually, things will get better.

“It is what it is,” he said. “You live long enough to learn it's not always cherries.”

Reynolds said the state’s 10-million-acre damage estimate could change as damage surveying continues.

The governor plans to do a flyover of Iowa cropland in the coming days to survey the damage.
htismaqe 09:57 PM 08-11-2020
Just got back from Branson today. We live in east central Jasper county and although I’m an amateur, I would estimate we had winds here in excess of 90 miles per hour. We had a derecho go through here about years ago with confirmed winds of 85mph - this is worse. Larger limbs snapped, two trees that were unharmed the last time were completely uprooted. At Le Grand which is about 20 miles north of here an amateur weather station clocked a 106mph gust. We might not have power until Friday.

Yesterday was my birthday even and we had to come home to this. I will post some pics tomorrow. I’m pretty tired after getting the generator running and all that.
htismaqe 10:00 PM 08-11-2020
Originally Posted by ptlyon:
Cedar rapids emergency coordinator was on the weather channel said they had winds of 90 to over 100 for over 45 minutes
A mobile weather station clocked a peak gust of 112mph in Hiawatha just north of Cedad Rapids.
htismaqe 10:02 PM 08-11-2020
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Shit got fucked up. LOTS of crop damage as I understand it.

Dude, the corn here looks like somebody ran over it with a mile-wide steamroller.
htismaqe 10:04 PM 08-11-2020
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
84 mph gust confirmed west of Chicago heading our way. Local news saying this is once every decade straight line winds. Moved all the patio inside.
It’s happened here twice in the last 6. Almost the exact same areas too from roughly Des Moines and Ames to Cedar Rapids.
htismaqe 10:12 PM 08-11-2020
This derecho was really wide. Once a derecho gets moving they move through really fast. The last one had peak wind gusts for maybe 10 minutes. My mother-in-law and my neighbor said this lasted for almost 40. That’s pretty crazy considering that the gist front was moving east at almost 70mph (which is insane all by itself).
Buehler445 10:54 PM 08-11-2020
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
JASPER COUNTY, Iowa —
Early estimates indicate that 10 million acres of farmland was flatted Monday during the derecho, according to Gov. Kim Reynolds..
Woah. 10 million acres of cornbelt crops is something

If you (conservatively) estimate 200 bu corn and 60 bushel beans on a 50/50 split thats a billion bushels of corn and 300 million beans.

Motherfucker.
Pitt Gorilla 11:18 PM 08-11-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
A mobile weather station clocked a peak gust of 112mph in Hiawatha just north of Cedad Rapids.
Yup. We had >100 gusts. It was crazy.
Coogs 07:51 AM 08-12-2020

If you (conservatively) estimate 200 bu corn and 60 bushel beans on a 50/50 split thats a billion bushels of corn and 300 million beans.

Mother****er.
Not that one wants to reap the benefits of someone else's disaster, but shouldn't the corn and bean markets trend up with that sizable of loss?
displacedinMN 07:53 AM 08-12-2020

Motherfucker.
Oh my. I had not got to the math part of that yet.

Think of the mess. That is all worthless. Chop it up and use more chem next year for the volunteer corn.

Is there any way to use that for anything if it can be recovered or is it just fertilizer now.
Page 9 of 17
« First < 56789 10111213 > Last »
Up