Pitcher

Edit:
Matheny fired 07/14/2018

Opening Day Roster
Spoiler!

[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:38 AM 08-09-2018
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
I don’t know what “major” means to you. I just don’t see the Cardinals making the same safe incremental moves this off season. They know the fan base is still upset. They need changes beyond what they have already done.

as the resident homer, I must point out that no one thought, or at least the ones who post in here, we’d do shit going into the 2006/2011 playoffs.

We need more and better talent. We need a #3 hole hitter. We can make the playoffs next year. IMO.
'Major' = 4-5 win player.

Not sure how they get one of those. And even with that, I think they need Ozuna to get back to 3-4 wins at least.

And I will reiterate, I had them winning the championship once they got in in '06. I didn't think they'd manage it in '11 though.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:39 AM 08-09-2018
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
Quintana stinks like poop this year. Same fWAR as Jason hammel (0.8)
Yeah, Quintana's been as 4th startery as they get this year. Just ungodly mediocre.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 08:49 AM 08-09-2018
For that Cubs tard still holding hope for Darvish.....General rule of Free Agents, and I shouldn't have to explain this to adults: if you're not even getting value Year 1, you very likely got fleeced.

(Aka "Sandoval'd")
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:54 AM 08-09-2018
Yeah, it's pretty hard to 'win' a free agent deal if you eat the first year. Now if Darvish shows up in October and pitches 2-3 games like Cueto did for the Royals, all will be forgiven. And when you see his stuff you're constantly convinced that he has that crayon in his crayon box. But man - he sure seems to spit the bit int he post-season quite a bit.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 08:57 AM 08-09-2018
If he shows up in Oct and pitches well that'll blow everyone's mind. He was a puddle of piss last October on the big stage
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:44 AM 08-09-2018
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
'Major' = 4-5 win player.

Not sure how they get one of those. And even with that, I think they need Ozuna to get back to 3-4 wins at least.
I agree. That #3 hole hitter would give them 4-5 wins. Mo has to get one somehow, someway. If not through FA and $300+million then they are going to have to trade some young pitching and outfielders. And it will have to be at least one, maybe two of Reyes/Flaherty/Martinez/Hicks level or we are not getting a legitimate 3 hole hitter.
And I will reiterate, I had them winning the championship once they got in in '06. I didn't think they'd manage it in '11 though.
That was a 12 years ago thread. I don't feel like checking the 2006 thread so I'll take your word for it. Duly noted.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:57 AM 08-09-2018
Originally Posted by Marco Polo:
I'll take it! Obviously a 69% winning percentage isn't sustainable but this team is showing signs of life. Carp is just out of his mind right now. I'll admit before this happened, I was ready to trade him just to shake things up because I didn't think Mo would ever fire Matheny. What do I know.
No matter how you slice and dice it, its trending up.

Matheny lost 10 out of his last 15 games. 10/15. Pathetic.

Shildt 13-9 since taking over

Shildt 4 consecutive series wins. 3 against winning teams (4/6 series wins total)

Meathead won 4 series out of his last 14 series (4/14 total series wins)
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:05 AM 08-09-2018
No matter how you slice and dice it, its trending up.

Matheny lost 10 out of his last 15 games. 10/15. Pathetic.

Shildt 13-9 since taking over

Shildt 4 consecutive series wins. 3 against winning teams (4/6 series wins total)

Meathead won 4 series out of his last 14 series (4/14 total series wins)
In the the last 10 weeks of Mike Matheny's tenure the Cardinals won 5 series COMBINED.

They've won 4 in a row under Shildt.

Now it's a small sample size that this hell-stretch after the Royals could flip on its head pretty easily, but it's impossible to watch this team and not notice that it's playing decidedly better baseball.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 10:10 AM 08-09-2018
That was a 12 years ago thread. I don't feel like checking the 2006 thread so I'll take your word for it. Duly noted.

EDIT:

I had this one saved. Looks like Hamas may have kinda said they had a chance before the series. Didn't search for you. Like I said, I take you at your word anyway.
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=150694
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:12 AM 08-09-2018

EDIT:

I had this one saved. Looks like Hamas may have kinda said they had a chance before the series. Didn't search for you. Like I said, I take you at your word anyway.
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=150694
It wasn't here. I thought I rep messaged you a thread from my Cardinals board once. Eh - no matter. The difference between that team and 2011 (or so I said at the time) was the 2006 team still had HOF talent with HOF ability who were simply injured for large parts of the year and finally started getting healthy into September.

I felt like the '11 squad was more smoke and mirrors.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 10:19 AM 08-09-2018
It wasn't here. I thought I rep messaged you a thread from my Cardinals board once. Eh - no matter. The difference between that team and 2011 (or so I said at the time) was the 2006 team still had HOF talent with HOF ability who were simply injured for large parts of the year and finally started getting healthy into September.

I felt like the '11 squad was more smoke and mirrors.
I think the 2004/2005 Cardinals had the most talent of any team since the Whitey ball era.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:21 AM 08-09-2018
I think the 2004/2005 Cardinals had the most talent of any team since the Whitey ball era.
Pft....Whitey ball?

Try Musial or even the Gashouse Gang.

The 2004 St. Louis Cardinals would've MAULED any of Whitey's teams. I will always be bitter as hell that they didn't win a championship. That was unquestionably the best team in the sport and just got wrecked by the vagaries of short series baseball. 2006 was the baseball Gods doing us a solid and making up for screwing us two years prior.

2005 was undone by Mark Mulder quitting because of a bad break in an elimination game. I attended that game and I've never seen a pitcher visibly give up the way he did after that call at 2b and a simple seeing eye grounder. He just decided he'd had enough of that particular pitchers duel and was going to groove pitches the rest of the day. His body language was absolute shit.

Fuck you, Mark Bellhorn. Fuck you as well, Mark Mulder.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 10:23 AM 08-09-2018
It wasn't here. I thought I rep messaged you a thread from my Cardinals board once. Eh - no matter.
Now, I got curious. Search rep came right up. You were proving in the 2011 thread that you said they'd win in 2006. Link provided.

The link is dead. But based on the overwhelming circumstantial evidence, I rule in your favor. You were indeed Nostradamus like.
http://www.birdsonthebat.org/showpos...71&postcount=1
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 10:51 AM 08-09-2018
The 04 Cards had the 4th best offense/speed/def (fWAR) in Cards history. 1985 was 3rd.

The 04 Cards had the 6th best offense + pitching. 1985 was 4th.

Net: Whitey's 1985 club was better at both facets.
[Reply]
VAChief 12:30 PM 08-09-2018
Winning 7/10 for the rest of the season isn't sustainable, no. But winning 6/10 is and if they manage that for the rest of the year that gets them to 88 wins.

Now that probably isn't enough to get them either WC given the number of teams that will crater down the stretch to boost the records of the 4-5 potential WC teams right now.

But IF those wins are against the right teams, they can make it damn interesting. Can they play .640 baseball from here out to get to 90? Seems like a long-shot given the tattered remains of their starting pitching right now and the fact that Wacha doesn't appear close to returning (and Martinez really should be shut down).

But they have life. The 16 game stretch after the Royals series will decide a LOT. That's a long, tough stretch of ballgames against teams that are all battling for the playoffs. Get through that at 9-7 and they're back in the thick of things (presuming they take care of business against KC; never a given with this squad's ability to play down to their opponent).

And at some point it sure would be nice to see them complete one of these sweeps. They keep fumbling 1 gm/series that they could have easily won. Finish off one of those sweeps and things start to build momentum quickly.
You basically are asking for a repeat of 2011. Cards record on August 24, 2011?

67-63
[Reply]
Page 185 of 301
« First < 85135175181182183184185 186187188189195235285 > Last »
Up