ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1155 of 3903
« First < 15565510551105114511511152115311541155 115611571158115911651205125516552155 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Bob Dole 11:29 AM 04-06-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Bill Gates suggested that we might be able to move to a mail-in test kind of like when you do a cheek swab for ancestry DNA tests and the like. Scale is still an issue, but that'd move it forward much more quickly.
And surely nobody would end up with a huge DNA database...
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:30 AM 04-06-2020
Bill Gates suggested that we might be able to move to a mail-in test kind of like when you do a cheek swab for ancestry DNA tests and the like. Scale is still an issue, but that'd move it forward much more quickly.
That's the disconnect we started with, virtually from day 1.

When Trump says "anyone can get tested..." he was only half wrong. There WERE massive amounts of test kits, but they were being withheld because we had nothing resembling the ability to provide meaningful results to meaningful numbers.

So yeah, Bill Gates (sigh) is suggesting a solid path - but it's also a useless suggestion because it says NOTHING about our ability to process those results. Or the fact that you'd probably need to get one of those things once a month for it to matter at all - because being healthy on 4/6 says nothing about where you'll be on 5/6.

You say 'scale is still an issue' but the bottom line is that scale has been THE issue the entire time and there's no reason to believe it's clearly a solvable one. At least not while we still have an N of 345+ million of uninfected people who's bodies have no natural immunity to the thing. That N has to come down substantially for any attempts at a mass testing protocol to be useful. Then you're working with numbers that are closer to being truly scaleable.
[Reply]
Pants 11:30 AM 04-06-2020
I firmly believe that the measures put in place have paid dividends.

I know the economy is suffering tremendously and that shit sucks because it literally affects EVERYONE.

However, I feel like if we went with the BIG_DADDY model, we would be dealing with some apocalyptic shit. This thing is just too weird in every bad way.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 11:30 AM 04-06-2020
I would say privacy is an issue as well.
[Reply]
O.city 11:32 AM 04-06-2020
I think the issue with the models is we’re finding out there is some natural innate immunity to this thing. Also the asymptomatic carriers and such.

The at home test would have to be serology tests anyway.
[Reply]
Donger 11:33 AM 04-06-2020
Originally Posted by Pants:
I firmly believe that the measure put in place have paid dividend.

I know the economy is suffering tremendously and that shit sucks because it literally affects EVERYONE.

However, I feel like if we went with the BIG_DADDY model, we would be dealing with some apocalyptic shit. This thing is just too weird in every bad way.
And as has been said, we'll never know, because we did act. And be fully prepared for those people to have "See!? I told you it wasn't going to be that bad!" reaction.
[Reply]
Demonpenz 11:38 AM 04-06-2020
Originally Posted by Bob Dole:
And surely nobody would end up with a huge DNA database...

Bob Dole opens dna test *Says here I am half german half looking out a cornfield with Stevie Ray*
[Reply]
LiveSteam 11:38 AM 04-06-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said that new hospitalizations, ICU admissions and daily intubations are all down for the state.

"Those are all good signs," the governor said."

He added that those numbers, "would suggest a possible flattening of the curve."

Here were the number of new hospitalizations in New York over the past three days that the governor reported today:

Friday, April 3: 1,095
Saturday, April 4: 574
Sunday, April 5: 358
Thats excellent news.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 11:42 AM 04-06-2020
I told you it wasnt going to be that bad.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 11:43 AM 04-06-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Then your discussion becomes the definition of 'capacity', then. And the supply issue doesn't seem to be working itself out anyway, despite the fact that we seem to have a lot of PPE in various places that we simply aren't getting to the places that need it. Time doesn't seem likely to solve that (as a nationwide lockdown instead of an organic spread has anyplace that HAS spare equipment holding onto it like grim death).

Moreover, we have little evidence yet that medical providers are being hit inordinately hard right now due to a lack of PPE. The situation on the ground appears to be that things aren't ideal, but they also aren't critical. Yes, some healthcare providers are contracting it, but compare their rates to transit workers or retail workers and they're not out of line (especially when compared to the rates of exposure).

They're pushing equipment right to the edge of its functional envelope, but the results thus far aren't that they're not being protected at all because of that. They're using every inch of runway in most cases, but there's still little indication that planes are driving off the edge. If outcomes have been worse because of these shortages, it's a damn small amount. Which again gets back to the definition of capacity - isn't that consideration baked into the cake already?
The models of bed capacity are based upon occupancy only. Bed capacity isn't functional capacity where people are receiving adequate care. Hospitals also plan for surge scenarios (mass casualty incidents, etc.) to ensure that there is always true flex built into the system to sustain such events.

Regarding healthcare workers: 14 percent of those infected in Spain as of last week were healthcare professionals, around 3000 of the reported cases in China were in healthcare, and at least 200 in NYC were sick (from a NYT article on 3/30). That's a lot of infections, and moving it up to true 100% capacity would have made only increased the probability of additional infections further.

Also, if you put less innate strain on the system, you give the suppliers more time to replenish: PPE, pharmaceuticals, etc.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:44 AM 04-06-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
I think the issue with the models is we’re finding out there is some natural innate immunity to this thing. Also the asymptomatic carriers and such.

The at home test would have to be serology tests anyway.
And if you take the test and you're still no showing antibodies....what now?

You get to stay home indefinitely? Or is there some number of positive tests where we just push the 'endemic' button and move forward?

There just aren't any simple answers here. Yes, we took steps that have almost certainly helped significantly in keeping up front cases law. And as I said when Cuomo was holding fire (and then when he actually pulled the trigger), I thought NY handled this almost perfectly. They're such a unique and bizarre animal that they simply could not just try to 'stamp it out' because it would accomplish nothing there apart from making the eventual secondary spike worse.

Ideally they pegged this thing and in so doing, have created enough buffer that when things re-open, some natural immunity will decrease carriers and renewed spread will be slower and more organic. But that's exactly why it's so critical to time it right and not just assume that more immediate is better.
[Reply]
O.city 11:44 AM 04-06-2020
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
I told you it wasnt going to be that bad.
I wouldn’t spike the ball in the first quarter here yet
[Reply]
Pants 11:44 AM 04-06-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
And as has been said, we'll never know, because we did act. And be fully prepared for those people to have "See!? I told you it wasn't going to be that bad!" reaction.
At first, I was pissed at Laura Kelly for taking the drastic step of shutting the schools down so freaking early but now I see she was actually paying attention and doing the right thing. That's a good leader.
[Reply]
O.city 11:47 AM 04-06-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
And if you take the test and you're still no showing antibodies....what now?

You get to stay home indefinitely? Or is there some number of positive tests where we just push the 'endemic' button and move forward?

There just aren't any simple answers here. Yes, we took steps that have almost certainly helped significantly in keeping up front cases law. And as I said when Cuomo was holding fire (and then when he actually pulled the trigger), I thought NY handled this almost perfectly. They're such a unique and bizarre animal that they simply could not just try to 'stamp it out' because it would accomplish nothing there apart from making the eventual secondary spike worse.

Ideally they pegged this thing and in so doing, have created enough buffer that when things re-open, some natural immunity will decrease carriers and renewed spread will be slower and more organic. But that's exactly why it's so critical to time it right and not just assume that more immediate is better.
If you don’t have antibodies and you wanna risk it I think that should be your choice. Maybe you get it maybe you don’t, but it would allow specifically ya healthcare workers the ability to know how diligent we need to be with ourselves

The problem with the immunity thing is we just don’t know how far it is. It maybe is widespread and enough that we’re immune

I doubt it but It’s possible

You need to start randomly sampling to find out
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 11:50 AM 04-06-2020
How about we just have enough patience to see if this really is the peak. And if it is the peak, from there we have enough patience to coast down the other side of the peak until we put out the first to a great extent. And from there, we can work much harder on isolating and contact tracing any new cases that pop up as we gradually open up with greater social distancing and use of PPE in public.

Patience. This is NYC getting to and over the peak, hopefully. It's not every region in the country.
[Reply]
Page 1155 of 3903
« First < 15565510551105114511511152115311541155 115611571158115911651205125516552155 > Last »
Up