ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 11 of 13
« First < 7891011 1213 >
Nzoner's Game Room>When should Spags be fired?
Titty Meat 07:06 PM 10-15-2019
Call it an overreaction if youd like. The he was brought in to improve the defense and it's only gotten worse. Even in our 4 wins the defense wasnt better than last year for the most part.

If Booker/Lindsay go for over 180 rushing like 4 other teams have against us, and Rodgers & Co. come in and out up 30 it's time to pull the plug on this clown.
[Reply]
Chiefnj2 05:54 AM 10-17-2019
Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE!:
We don’t need a damn CB. We need a ****ing LB
They need CBS. The numbers don't look as bad as they should because (a) Brisset didn't try and push the ball downfield, (b) the Texans dropped a bunch including TDs, and (c) they lead the league in defensive holding penalties - just giving teams another set of first downs and more opportunities to gash them on the ground and control TOP.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 06:13 AM 10-17-2019
Originally Posted by BWillie:
I was never in favor of Spags hiring. Let's get that straight. But it's hard to fault him much. We destroyed our pass rush (Houston and Ford) for no god damned reason. #1 in sacks last year - and our fans didn't appreciate it. You don't just change things just to change things. It can always get worse.

Frank Clark has been a disaster. And we did little to improve our LB corp. The writing was on the wall that this was not going to get this much better, especially for the run defense. It's hard for me to hate on Spags too much due to our personnel short comings.

With that said, we need to trade for a shut down corner so we can be more aggressive shutting down the run as needed. I still like our defense better than last year because it at least seems we are slightly better against the pass, but we are still penalty prone.
Ford was not worth the money he was going to cost; he's often injured.

Houston would've cost $22 million to keep and wasn't interested in restructuring.

The Clark deal hasn't worked out, it's true, but letting those two go was not stupid under the cirumstances.
[Reply]
Chiefnj2 07:03 AM 10-17-2019
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
Ford was not worth the money he was going to cost; he's often injured.

Houston would've cost $22 million to keep and wasn't interested in restructuring.

The Clark deal hasn't worked out, it's true, but letting those two go was not stupid under the cirumstances.
Sometimes you have to pay guys a little more for their leadership skills.
Who are KC's defensive leaders?

Did you see the video footage of the Colts locker room after the Chiefs game? Those guys love Houston. I was surprised to see how happy they were for him. He's obviously a well liked and respected player. I don't know if the Chirfs have any leaders.
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 07:06 AM 10-17-2019
Originally Posted by Chiefnj2:
They need CBS. The numbers don't look as bad as they should because (a) Brisset didn't try and push the ball downfield, (b) the Texans dropped a bunch including TDs, and (c) they lead the league in defensive holding penalties - just giving teams another set of first downs and more opportunities to gash them on the ground and control TOP.
Defensive holding penalties can be blamed on one person and that’s Breeland along with being burnt toast against Fuller. Luckily he dropped those TDs
[Reply]
Buckweath 07:30 AM 10-17-2019
Chiefs need a good CB first and foremost.

They also need a LB but to a lesser extent. I do know that the LBs have been beyond bad the last few games.
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 07:34 AM 10-17-2019
Originally Posted by Buckweath:
Chiefs need a good CB first and foremost.

They also need a LB but to a lesser extent. I do know that the LBs have been beyond bad the last few games.
The draft next year is loaded with CBs
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:37 AM 10-17-2019
Originally Posted by Chiefnj2:
Sometimes you have to pay guys a little more for their leadership skills.
Who are KC's defensive leaders?

Did you see the video footage of the Colts locker room after the Chiefs game? Those guys love Houston. I was surprised to see how happy they were for him. He's obviously a well liked and respected player. I don't know if the Chirfs have any leaders.
Of course the Colts love his locker room presence. He got the contract he wanted.

Players show leadership when they WANT to show leadership - see 2016-2018 Justin Houston.

Keeping him would have been stupid, he didn't want to be here.
[Reply]
arrowheadnation 11:43 AM 10-17-2019
I don't why everyone keeps arguing about needing a CB OR a LB....WE NEED BOTH! and Defensive Linemen!
[Reply]
King_Chief_Fan 02:11 PM 10-17-2019
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
Call it an overreaction if youd like. The he was brought in to improve the defense and it's only gotten worse. Even in our 4 wins the defense wasnt better than last year for the most part.

If Booker/Lindsay go for over 180 rushing like 4 other teams have against us, and Rodgers & Co. come in and out up 30 it's time to pull the plug on this clown.
when?....yesterday at the latest
[Reply]
MAG 02:47 PM 10-17-2019
Justin Houston was a choke artist who never showed up when it mattered. Did he even touch Brady in the AFCCG? Good riddance.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 03:43 PM 10-17-2019
Originally Posted by MAG:
Justin Houston was a choke artist who never showed up when it mattered. Did he even touch Brady in the AFCCG? Good riddance.
Watch the overtime vs New England he did provide some pressure
[Reply]
Megatron96 04:17 PM 10-17-2019
I guess no one read the articles I linked about Spags earlier.

Look, I wrote on this forum when the Chiefs were still looking for a DC to replace Sutton that I wanted Todd Bowles.

So I wasn't a fan of the Chiefs selecting Spags for the job in the first place.

But after doing some research, I came around to the idea. Why? Because Steve Spagnuolo has a remarkable track record for taking really bad defenses and turning them completely around in his second year.

A little background history from the articles I researched:

Steve Spagnuoulo has experience coaching at four different colleges for a total of 17 years, as defensive line coach, defensive backs coach, special teams coach, linebackers coach, and defensive coordinator. In other words, Spags had coached every facet of defense before he ever got to the NFL.

In 1999 he got his first job in the NFL, as the linebacker and defensive backs coach for the Eagles.

In 2007, he was hired by Tom Coughlin to be the DC for the Giants, where he fielded a defense that finished 7th in the league in yards, and 17th overall in points given up. That was also the year that his defensive, the 4-3, hit Tom Brady more times than Brady has ever been hit in the Super Bowl or a playoff game, and sacked him 5 times. In that SB, Tom Brady only threw for 266 yards and a single TD.

The following year in 2008, when the defense was truly all his, his unit ranked 5th in yards, and 5th in points.

In 2009 he became HC of STL, and while the team never won a lot of games, the Rams defense went from 29th in yards and 31st in points, to 19th and 12th respectively in 2010.

Then in 2015 he was re-hired by the Giants, who finished the season 32nd in yards allowed and 30th in points given up.

In 2016, the Giants defense under Spags ranked 10th and 2nd overall.

Also, Spags makes every defense he's coached better at takeaways. Every one.

The bottom line here is simple: give Steve Spagnuolo a year and he has a consistent track record of taking bad defenses and turning them into very good ones.

Bottom line, people: Spags is just about the best choice in the NFL to turn our defense around in one year. He wasn't chosen because he was friends with Andy. he was chosen because he has a ton of experience doing exactly what we need to get done. Make our defense capable of winning a Super Bowl ASAP.

Again, just the facts . . .
[Reply]
Jerm 04:22 PM 10-17-2019
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
I guess no one read the articles I linked about Spags earlier.

Look, I wrote on this forum when the Chiefs were still looking for a DC to replace Sutton that I wanted Todd Bowles.

So I wasn't a fan of the Chiefs selecting Spags for the job in the first place.

But after doing some research, I came around to the idea. Why? Because Steve Spagnuolo has a remarkable track record for taking really bad defenses and turning them completely around in his second year.

A little background history from the articles I researched:

Steve Spagnuoulo has experience coaching at four different colleges for a total of 17 years, as defensive line coach, defensive backs coach, special teams coach, linebackers coach, and defensive coordinator. In other words, Spags had coached every facet of defense before he ever got to the NFL.

In 1999 he got his first job in the NFL, as the linebacker and defensive backs coach for the Eagles.

In 2007, he was hired by Tom Coughlin to be the DC for the Giants, where he fielded a defense that finished 7th in the league in yards, and 17th overall in points given up.

The following year in 2008, when the defense was truly all his, his unit ranked 5th in yards, and 5th in points. That was also the year that his defensive, the 4-3, hit Tom Brady more times than Brady has ever been hit in the Super Bowl or a playoff game, and sacked him 5 times. In that SB, Tom Brady only threw for 266 yards and a single TD.

In 2009 he became HC of STL, and while the team never won a lot of games, the Rams defense went from 29th in yards and 31st in points, to 19th and 12th respectively in 2010.

Then in 2015 he was re-hired by the Giants, who finished the season 32nd in yards allowed and 30th in points given up.

In 2016, the Giants defense under Spags ranked 10th and 2nd overall.

Also, Spags makes every defense he's coached better at takeaways. Every one.

The bottom line here is simple: give Steve Spagnuolo a year and he has a consistent track record of taking bad defenses and turning them into very good ones.

Bottom line, people: Spags is just about the best choice in the NFL to turn our defense around in one year. He wasn't chosen because he was friends with Andy. he was chosen because he has a ton of experience doing exactly what we need to get done. Make our defense capable of winning a Super Bowl ASAP.

Again, just the facts . . .
Where's the facts about his stint in New Orleans?

Why'd you leave those out?
[Reply]
Megatron96 04:26 PM 10-17-2019
Originally Posted by Jerm:
Where's the facts about his stint in New Orleans?

Why'd you leave those out?
He was only there for one year. His track record suggests that it takes him a minimum of a second year to turn things around.

Which, by the way, is really fast. Check around the league; there are very few DCs that have done anything similar in just one year with a new team, and all unfamiliar guys. And fewer still that have done it multiple times.

I should also point out that Spags' one year with the Saints was the same year that Sean Payton was suspended from the league over the Bounty-gate thing; the offense was a shadow of itself without Sean calling the plays, and they put that defense in a huge hole nearly every game.
[Reply]
rydogg58 04:44 PM 10-17-2019
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Of course the Colts love his locker room presence. He got the contract he wanted.

Players show leadership when they WANT to show leadership - see 2016-2018 Justin Houston.

Keeping him would have been stupid, he didn't want to be here.
Yep. Where was his leadership last year? We had a team that was one game from the superbowl. If he couldn't be the leader then, what would make him change now?
[Reply]
Page 11 of 13
« First < 7891011 1213 >
Up