ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 7
< 12 3456 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Orlovsky implores NFL owners to fix officiating 'epidemic'
iDeaL 09:06 AM 10-15-2019

Edit: In case you can't see the embedded video: https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/27849969

He's right, you know...
[Reply]
tatorhog 09:28 AM 10-15-2019
Originally Posted by Mecca:
The problem with that though is a lot of those guys don't want to be full time.
In a league where the base salary is north of 400k, I'm pretty sure they could find a way to make them want to be full time.
[Reply]
tyecopeland 09:31 AM 10-15-2019
Some of those guys are lawyers and shit.
I know. But some of them aren't. And even then, dammit I think goodell could fund some of the lawyers to be full time. That way we could maybe have more than just one guys opinion deciding all the reviews.
[Reply]
In58men 09:32 AM 10-15-2019
They’ve been informed. NSFW

Spoiler!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
TEX 09:33 AM 10-15-2019
Originally Posted by TLO:
This flag brought to you by Budweiser, who reminds you to drink responsibly.
:-) :-)

No shit! That's where it's currently headed.
[Reply]
Frosty 09:33 AM 10-15-2019
Some of those guys are lawyers and shit.
Then hire and train people that aren't lawyers and shit. There are tons of ex-players who could fill that role, I would think.
[Reply]
Dayze 09:36 AM 10-15-2019
the fact that the NFL over the last, what, 2 seasons...cut to 'rules experts' during the game tells you all you need to know about how messed up all of this is.

when networks need to employ 'rules experts' to explain to viewers why what they just witnessed is wrong.... you know your rule book is too large, complicated, and confusing.

add in the fact the 'rules experts' are probably receiving some compensation from the NFL to tow the line / protect the dumbass calls on the field.
[Reply]
Coyote 09:38 AM 10-15-2019
Technology for many things. Ball issues/ placement/ movement/ etc. for example
vice 3 fat guys on chains being told by another fat guy that his left foot marks forward progress and no fumble due to a whistle from a different fat guy.
Wouldn’t slow down or require reviews. Would likely speed up the game. Get as many humans out of the loop as possible. Not really what nflis considering:

https://operations.nfl.com/the-game/technology/
[Reply]
comochiefsfan 09:39 AM 10-15-2019
There is no “epidemic”. The officiating this year is going exactly as planned in the eyes of the league.
[Reply]
RunKC 09:40 AM 10-15-2019
Hmmm

Al Riveron, the NFL’s head of officiating, has arrived here at the league meetings and will present to the competition committee later today. Much to discuss.

— Tom Pelissero (@TomPelissero) October 15, 2019

[Reply]
Beef Supreme 09:41 AM 10-15-2019
It's bad enough when they make blatantly wrong calls. But then they go to review and still fuck it up.

They hired the motherfucker that blew the whistle on a sack fumble and claimed "forward progress" as one of their damn rules experts.

They don't want to get it right.
[Reply]
DeepPurple 09:44 AM 10-15-2019
Refs should be told to keep the flags in their pocket and only call if it's blatant. I would grade the officials on how few penalties they call and the quality. Officials should also be held accountable, just like players. Blakeman should be suspended for at least two games without pay for his two blunders.
[Reply]
treeguy27 09:45 AM 10-15-2019
Originally Posted by Frosty:
Then hire and train people that aren't lawyers and shit. There are tons of ex-players who could fill that role, I would think.
Part of the reason they use lawyers and people from other professional occupations is theoretically they should be less likely to be paid off and bribed and are financially stable. Not sure I buy into that theory, but you don't want some shitbag who is hurting for money out there calling penalties either.
[Reply]
Frosty 09:46 AM 10-15-2019
Originally Posted by Coyote:
Technology for many things. Ball issues/ placement/ movement/ etc. for example
vice 3 fat guys on chains being told by another fat guy that his left foot marks forward progress and no fumble due to a whistle from a different fat guy.
Wouldn’t slow down or require reviews. Would likely speed up the game. Get as many humans out of the loop as possible. Not really what nflis considering:

https://operations.nfl.com/the-game/technology/
If nothing else, all automatic first down plays should get a quick review because they are almost all subjective and can be game changing. it could be done in the same amount of time as it takes the refs to huddle up and discuss it.

Originally Posted by RunKC:
Hmmm

Getting rid of Riveron would be a step in the right direction.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:50 AM 10-15-2019
Bellicheck wants everything reviewable. Which makes sense because your limited in the number of challenges available. But, what if they challenge 5 times and win all? Now they are getting 8 challenges, slowing down the game.

They’d have to impose a limit on total challenges even if they are successful.
[Reply]
Rain Man 09:57 AM 10-15-2019
A person can claim conspiracy or incompetence or unconscious bias or simply that the game has become too complicated.

While I think more than one of those things exist, I think a very simple answer is that the game has become too complicated. Because we now have instant replay and reviews, we have to make the rules more and more precise, which them makes every play a penaltyfest. The officials call the ones that are blatant or that they think they should call ('he touched Tom!') and leave others alone. No wonder everyone is dissatisfied.

They need to simplify the rules. Allow holding on both offense and defense, but then give the other side some other rules concession to combat it. Make fewer things penalties and you'll call fewer penalties.

Holding calls are 75 percent of the problem these days if you really look at it, particularly defensive holding, and the other 25 percent is personal fouls and pass interference. No one complains about offsides or illegal motion or any of the other 500 rules in the book. So addressing those calls and finding a solution other than calling a penalty is the key.

The game is rapidly becoming unwatchable. I bet 25 to 35 percent of the Chiefs' offensive plays in the first quarter last week were nullified due to penalties. No one wants to watch that.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 7
< 12 3456 > Last »
Up