ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 4
1 234 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Damn, George was SMOOTH!
gblowfish 10:59 AM 02-18-2019
RIP George, you playah...

https://www.kmbc.com/article/sailor-...-95-1/26390291

PROVIDENCE, R.I. —

The ecstatic sailor shown kissing a woman in Times Square celebrating the end of World War II has died. George Mendonsa was 95.

Mendonsa's daughter, Sharon Molleur, told The Providence Journal Mendonsa fell and had a seizure on Sunday at the assisted living facility in Middletown, Rhode Island, where he lived with his wife of 70 years.

Mendonsa was shown kissing Greta Zimmer Friedman, a dental assistant in a nurse's uniform, on Aug. 14, 1945. Known as V-J Day, it was the day Japan surrendered to the United States.

The photo by Alfred Eisenstaedt became one of the most famous photographs of the 20th century.

It was years before Mendonsa and Friedman were confirmed to be the couple.

Friedman died in 2016 at the age of 92.

Mendonsa died two days before his 96th birthday.
[Reply]
SuperBowl4 11:07 AM 02-18-2019
The photographer made him and her FAMOUS. It was a gay old time back then. Come to think of it, it still is!
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 11:12 AM 02-18-2019
Today George would have faced a court martial over the sexual assault of a fellow enlisted person. At minimum he would have lost stripes and at worst separated from the military dishonorably.
[Reply]
patteeu 11:13 AM 02-18-2019
Wow, that guy lived a long time. I'm sure the answer to this question is known, but I wonder if he ever saw that girl again?
[Reply]
WhawhaWhat 11:27 AM 02-18-2019
I just saw that statue in San Diego last year. I didn't know who the 2 people were but I'm glad they both lived long lives.

[Reply]
Hammock Parties 11:39 AM 02-18-2019
How long before the militant left demands that statue be taken down?
[Reply]
KChiefs1 11:56 AM 02-18-2019
Originally Posted by MephistophelesJanx:
Today George would have faced a court martial over the sexual assault of a fellow enlisted person. At minimum he would have lost stripes and at worst separated from the military dishonorably.

He’d been in jail that night for sexual assault.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 12:02 PM 02-18-2019
Pretty sure the moment is literally in rape culture textbooks.
[Reply]
gblowfish 12:29 PM 02-18-2019
The Greatest Generation - and the source of baby boomers!

[Reply]
DJJasonp 01:19 PM 02-18-2019
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
How long before the militant left demands that statue be taken down?
Without naming names (trying to keep this in Lounge).......it has already been an issue for a few years now here in san diego.
[Reply]
oldman 02:30 PM 02-18-2019
Originally Posted by MephistophelesJanx:
She wasn't in any branch of the service. Nurses, dental assistants, and other medical personnel wore white uniforms well into the 1980s. As for the allegations of sexual assault, she may have been kissing him first. I've been told there was a lot of partying going on after almost 4 years of war for the US. Just sayin'.
[Reply]
T-post Tom 02:33 PM 02-18-2019
Originally Posted by DJJasonp:
Without naming names (trying to keep this in Lounge).......it has already been an issue for a few years now here in san diego.
Kudos to S.D. They raised $1M in 3 months to make it happen. Other than 2 members of the Public Art Committee, seems like San Diego folks like it better than a whale's vajayjay. :-)
[Reply]
Rain Man 03:56 PM 02-18-2019
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
He’d been in jail that night for sexual assault.
It's not really his fault. It was only VE day, and he thought it was VJ day.
[Reply]
kjwood75nro 05:22 PM 02-18-2019
They just talked about it on Channel 12.

Apparently, his then-girlfriend is the girl in the background smiling.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 05:40 PM 02-18-2019
Christine Blasey-Fraud saw his obituary and remembered something about him assualting her.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 4
1 234 >
Up