ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 134 of 167
« First < 3484124130131132133134 135136137138144 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Pets of Chiefs Planet
pr_capone 01:04 AM 10-22-2006
I know there are some animal lovers here.

Lets see whatcha got.

From left to right:

Suzy (Chow Mix)- 1.5 yrs old
Mandi (Long Haired Miniature Dachshund) - 13 years old
Angie (Dapple Haired Miniature Dachshunds) - 4 years old

Angie is the one that rides the motorcycle with me.
[Reply]
Dayze 07:44 PM 09-21-2019
Originally Posted by Lzen:
On a brighter note, we adopted a boxer. Her name is Emma.
Right on.
:-)
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 07:17 PM 10-16-2019
Any potty training tips?
[Reply]
Dayze 07:12 AM 10-17-2019
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
Any potty training tips?
when I had my border collie /aussie mix, I had him trained in like 2 days and he probably had maybe 3 accidents after that in 14 years.

I watched him like a hawk when he was a pup, and as soon as I saw the wheels start turning in his brain to go to the bathroom / squat, I gave an immediate "outside"! and scooped him up and took him outside. I didn't yell, just enough to shift his focus / stop his wheels turning for a second.

did the same with our lab puppy, though she took about a week, same results. seemed to work well.

also pay attention to when they drink; their bladders are tiny at that point, so if they go and drink a bunch of water, you can bet in about 15 minutes or so, they're gonna need to go. Same with food; watch them close after they eat. I also took him outside a lot even when I didn't catch his wheels turning; just so he got used to associating outside with the going to the bathroom.

Then, as soon as they finish doing what they're doing, LOTS of praise and lovin'.

Godspeed.
[Reply]
Naptown Chief 07:17 AM 10-17-2019
Agreed with Dayze. I also brought treats out with me to reward them for peeing or pooping outside.
[Reply]
In58men 07:46 AM 10-17-2019

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Frosty 07:54 AM 10-17-2019
Originally Posted by Dayze:
when I had my border collie /aussie mix, I had him trained in like 2 days and he probably had maybe 3 accidents after that in 14 years.
My Aussies were so easy to potty train. I just took them outside every couple of hours to go and they stayed in a crate at night (I would get up once during the night to take them out). Like you said, two days tops and it was done.

Our first attempt at a dog was a puppy from the pound that was some type of lap/spitz cross. I never could house break him. Absolutely stubborn.
[Reply]
Dayze 09:20 AM 10-17-2019
Originally Posted by Frosty:
My Aussies were so easy to potty train. I just took them outside every couple of hours to go and they stayed in a crate at night (I would get up once during the night to take them out). Like you said, two days tops and it was done.

Our first attempt at a dog was a puppy from the pound that was some type of lap/spitz cross. I never could house break him. Absolutely stubborn.
yep; our lab was from the pound; so she was already used to just going when she needed too. took a while to completely break her of it but she eventually learned.

my aussie; man, that dog was so smart. great dog.
[Reply]
stumppy 09:38 AM 10-17-2019

I watched him like a hawk when he was a pup, and as soon as I saw the wheels start turning in his brain to go to the bathroom / squat, I gave an immediate "outside"! and scooped him up and took him outside. I didn't yell, just enough to shift his focus / stop his wheels turning for a second.

did the same with our lab puppy, though she took about a week, same results. seemed to work well.

also pay attention to when they drink; their bladders are tiny at that point, so if they go and drink a bunch of water, you can bet in about 15 minutes or so, they're gonna need to go. Same with food; watch them close after they eat. I also took him outside a lot even when I didn't catch his wheels turning; just so he got used to associating outside with the going to the bathroom.

Then, as soon as they finish doing what they're doing, LOTS of praise and lovin'.

Godspeed.
Gotta love a smart breeds. My Border Collie/Karelian mix only took a couple days. Never went in the house at all.

<--------- That's him, Dodger, in my avi.
[Reply]
Frosty 09:57 AM 10-17-2019
my aussie; man, that dog was so smart. great dog.
I call Aussies "dogs for dummies" because they are stupid easy to train. I doubt I wil ever have a different breed. I know i just don't have the patience to deal with a more stubborn breed (like that mutt).
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 10:23 AM 10-17-2019
This pug is stubborn. He's using pee pands and outside for pee, but just poops wherever the mood strikes him.
[Reply]
Lzen 10:23 AM 10-17-2019
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
Any potty training tips?
Dayze had some good tips. I would concur that shortly after eating and drinking is usually time to go, so watch. And when you catch them in the act, say "no" in a strong voice. Praise them while they are going outside is better than after. Also, they tend to have to go after playing/wrestling.

Some people like to use puppy pads but I don't like them. They tend to teach them that its okay to go inside.
[Reply]
Lzen 10:27 AM 10-17-2019
When I had boxer puppies, they were pretty easy to train to potty outside. Maybe not quite as quickly as the Australian shepherds but fairly quickly. I believe it also helped that it was winter time. They didn't like to be out in the cold and I think that encouraged them to get their business done quickly to be able to get back inside.
[Reply]
stumppy 10:32 AM 10-17-2019
Originally Posted by Frosty:
I call Aussies "dogs for dummies" because they are stupid easy to train. I doubt I wil ever have a different breed. I know i just don't have the patience to deal with a more stubborn breed (like that mutt).
I know I'll never have another 'dumb' dog again. At least not on purpose.

Dodger has been the smartest, easiest to train dog I've ever had.
[Reply]
Frosty 12:07 PM 10-17-2019
Originally Posted by Lzen:
I believe it also helped that it was winter time. They didn't like to be out in the cold and I think that encouraged them to get their business done quickly to be able to get back inside.
We got our first Aussie in late December. Like I said, I would get up during the night to take the puppy out during the housebreaking stage. It was fun standing out under the stars at 15° while the puppy sniffed around in the snow. "Just go already!!!!" :-)
[Reply]
IA_Chiefs_fan 12:11 PM 10-17-2019
We used a doggie door bell. Everytime we took him out we'd push their nose into it the bell and then we wouldn't bring them back in until they at least pretended to potty lol. They learned pretty quickly to just press the bell on their own. Now we have a doggie door so it doesn't matter.
[Reply]
Page 134 of 167
« First < 3484124130131132133134 135136137138144 > Last »
Up