ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 47 of 361
« First < 374344454647 484950515797147 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Space Exploration megathread
DaFace 09:40 AM 06-01-2014
Since a number of cool things are happening in space exploration these days, we'll widen the scope of this thread a smidge. Conversation about all things space exploration are welcome, whether it be from NASA, SpaceX, ULA, Blue Origin, or anyone else. Chances are most of the discussion will still be about SpaceX since they love to make things public and fun, but nothing's off limits. I'll eventually get around to modifying the OP to include resources for other companies too, but in the meantime, feel free to post any cool stuff you run across.

Lists of Upcoming Missions

Spoiler!

How to Watch a Live Launch
Spoiler!

Where to Learn More
Spoiler!

Glossary
Spoiler!

[Reply]
DaFace 11:23 PM 07-17-2016

Falcon on LZ-1 at Cape Canaveral pic.twitter.com/dBkjBCDIRs

— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) July 18, 2016

[Reply]
GloryDayz 11:24 PM 07-17-2016
T'was awesome...
[Reply]
DaFace 11:27 PM 07-17-2016

[Reply]
BigRedChief 11:29 PM 07-17-2016
Way cool. It's fantastic to see science and business combine for the betterment of us all. :-)
[Reply]
GloryDayz 11:33 PM 07-17-2016
Originally Posted by DaFace:
We should pool our money and send Dave Lane out there to get some CP pics some time. Put some Chiefs stuff in the view finder...
[Reply]
eDave 01:31 AM 07-18-2016
Land the Lander:

https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/768...ef=producthunt
[Reply]
DaFace 09:11 AM 07-18-2016
I just realized the coolest part of that photo. If you zoom in at full resolution....

You can actually see the first stage starting its "flip" while the second stage continues onward. Pretty cool.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 09:48 AM 07-18-2016
I just realized the coolest part of that photo. If you zoom in at full resolution....

You can actually see the first stage starting its "flip" while the second stage continues onward. Pretty cool.
I get forward momentum, maintaining energy in a turn, centrifugal force, centripetal force, and all jazz, but after they use the cold-gas release to flip it, I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around how does a rocket get going back the other way to make it back over land (in the near weightlessness it's in)? At least not without another burn, or unless the flip is more of a slow turn to allow momentum to ultimately send you back the other way?
[Reply]
DaFace 10:00 AM 07-18-2016
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
I get forward momentum, maintaining energy in a turn, centrifugal force, centripetal force, and all jazz, but after they use the cold-gas release to flip it, I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around how does a rocket get going back the other way to make it back over land (in the near weightlessness it's in)? At least not without another burn, or unless the flip is more of a slow turn to allow momentum to ultimately send you back the other way?
While I don't claim to fully understand it myself, I think the key is that there's a lot more force being applied during that boost back burn than you'd think based on the brightness of it. It's burning a TON of fuel during that little arc to turn itself around and start heading back to land. The thrusters flip it around, the main engines are used to make it actually change direction.

I think this diagram is at least reasonably accurate (though it's boosting back further to make it to land).

Also, another thing to keep in mind is that the first stage weighs MUCH less at that point than the original rocket did (given that there's no second stage at all, and a majority of the propellant has already been used up), so it's quite a bit easier to slow down than you might think.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 10:20 AM 07-18-2016
While I don't claim to fully understand it myself, I think the key is that there's a lot more force being applied during that boost back burn than you'd think based on the brightness of it. It's burning a TON of fuel during that little arc to turn itself around and start heading back to land. The thrusters flip it around, the main engines are used to make it actually change direction.

I think this diagram is at least reasonably accurate (though it's boosting back further to make it to land).

Also, another thing to keep in mind is that the first stage weighs MUCH less at that point than the original rocket did (given that there's no second stage at all, and a majority of the propellant has already been used up), so it's quite a bit easier to slow down than you might think.
That makes sense actually. We know they do barge landings because they "don't have the fuel", but that not having fuel might be a combination of pushing a heavier load up, thus not having that amount of fuel to use on the boost back. And I found similar drawings for those barge-based landings, I just didn't find one that was noted-up like that for land-based landings.

Perhaps a trip to SpaceX (to ask questions) would be a wise vacation for me...
:-)

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk (so spelling be damned!!!)
[Reply]
DaFace 10:26 AM 07-18-2016
Official pics are up:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spacex

-----

Also, the next launch will be JCSAT-16, but there's not an exact date for it yet - just "sometime in August." I'll take the countdown clock out of the OP until we have a firm date.
[Reply]
eDave 01:49 AM 07-22-2016

[Reply]
GloryDayz 10:09 AM 07-22-2016
Originally Posted by eDave:
Well that video clears-up how the stages boost back to land. Woot. Thanks..
[Reply]
DaFace 10:49 AM 07-22-2016
It's gonna be a hell of a sight to see, for sure. I'd almost make a vacation down to Florida to watch if it wasn't for the high likelihood of delays.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 12:36 PM 07-22-2016
It's gonna be a hell of a sight to see, for sure. I'd almost make a vacation down to Florida to watch if it wasn't for the high likelihood of delays.
VPN? Telework?
[Reply]
Page 47 of 361
« First < 374344454647 484950515797147 > Last »
Up