ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 41 of 361
« First < 313738394041 424344455191141 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Space Exploration megathread
DaFace 09:40 AM 06-01-2014
Since a number of cool things are happening in space exploration these days, we'll widen the scope of this thread a smidge. Conversation about all things space exploration are welcome, whether it be from NASA, SpaceX, ULA, Blue Origin, or anyone else. Chances are most of the discussion will still be about SpaceX since they love to make things public and fun, but nothing's off limits. I'll eventually get around to modifying the OP to include resources for other companies too, but in the meantime, feel free to post any cool stuff you run across.

Lists of Upcoming Missions

Spoiler!

How to Watch a Live Launch
Spoiler!

Where to Learn More
Spoiler!

Glossary
Spoiler!

[Reply]
DaFace 08:20 PM 06-07-2016
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Reusable rockets? Still a "wow" to me anyway.
They're gonna have to start flying them soon or they're gonna run out of room!
[Reply]
Donger 06:11 AM 06-08-2016
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Reusable rockets? Still a "wow" to me anyway.

Why? The SRBs were rockets and they were re-used. It's impressive in the way these are recovered, certainly.
[Reply]
unlurking 07:30 AM 06-08-2016
Originally Posted by Donger:
Why? The SRBs were rockets and they were re-used. It's impressive in the way these are recovered, certainly.
It's less the methodology (although a rocket landing evokes incredible images from classic science fiction that tickle the imagination), than the vision of the team doing it. It finally feels like space is attainable again. For man. Fast and affordable reuse (something the SRB was not) has been marked as a cornerstone for SpaceX vision of making access to space cheap and boring.

Regardless of NASA'a awesome achievements (in spite of Congress), that's one thing they could never achieve. Without cheap and ubiquitous space access, there is no chance of the common man seeing space. My Dad grew up thinking he may one day get to go to space, when the space race was all about manned exploration (well, manned patriotic achievements anyway). I grew up doubting my grandchildren would ever see space, thanks to the current vision of robotic exploration. SpaceX is taking us back to the vision of man wandering the stars.

A rocket, and hopefully soon a capsule, standing tall after a powered landing is simply the promise that someone is again working towards manned exploration. My son now has dreams of going into space. While I'm not that optimistic, I have hope for his children.
[Reply]
Donger 07:46 AM 06-08-2016
Originally Posted by unlurking:
It's less the methodology (although a rocket landing evokes incredible images from classic science fiction that tickle the imagination), than the vision of the team doing it. It finally feels like space is attainable again. For man. Fast and affordable reuse (something the SRB was not) has been marked as a cornerstone for SpaceX vision of making access to space cheap and boring.

Regardless of NASA'a awesome achievements (in spite of Congress), that's one thing they could never achieve. Without cheap and ubiquitous space access, there is no chance of the common man seeing space. My Dad grew up thinking he may one day get to go to space, when the space race was all about manned exploration (well, manned patriotic achievements anyway). I grew up doubting my grandchildren would ever see space, thanks to the current vision of robotic exploration. SpaceX is taking us back to the vision of man wandering the stars.

A rocket, and hopefully soon a capsule, standing tall after a powered landing is simply the promise that someone is again working towards manned exploration. My son now has dreams of going into space. While I'm not that optimistic, I have hope for his children.
I wholeheartedly agree. Just pointing out an historical fact.
[Reply]
aturnis 04:46 PM 06-11-2016
SpaceX
@SpaceX

Next launch targeting June 15 for launch of the @Eutelsat_SA 117 West B and ABS-2A satellites. Launch window opens 10:29 am ET, 2:29 pm UTC
[Reply]
DaFace 12:09 PM 06-14-2016
Just a heads-up that we seem to be on track for a launch tomorrow morning around 9:30 Central. I'll barely even be getting to work at that time, so I probably won't be on much beforehand, but I'll try to bump it in the morning if they thread has fallen off the front page.

Another (yawn) barge landing for this one. :-) They'll be coming in hot again, so we'll see if they've really gotten the process down at this point - going for four in a row!
[Reply]
DaFace 07:26 AM 06-15-2016
Bump.
[Reply]
stumppy 07:31 AM 06-15-2016
At about what point in the countdown do they usually start the live feed ?
[Reply]
DaFace 07:41 AM 06-15-2016
Originally Posted by stumppy:
At about what point in the countdown do they usually start the live feed ?
Typically around T-20 minutes or so.
[Reply]
stumppy 08:10 AM 06-15-2016
Cool. Hope it all goes alright.
[Reply]
Donger 08:16 AM 06-15-2016
:-)
[Reply]
GloryDayz 08:22 AM 06-15-2016
I'm sneaking a peek at this from the meeting I'm in.. LOL!
[Reply]
DaFace 08:24 AM 06-15-2016
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
I'm sneaking a peek at this from the meeting I'm in.. LOL!
Been there. :-)
[Reply]
eDave 08:27 AM 06-15-2016
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Been there. :-)
Doing it now. One minute
[Reply]
Donger 08:28 AM 06-15-2016
What a great video feed!
[Reply]
Page 41 of 361
« First < 313738394041 424344455191141 > Last »