ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Media Center>Another Perfect Film Gets S**t on with a remake
DJJasonp 08:41 AM 09-14-2020
This time: Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

How can you possibly improve upon the original???

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/w...20loved%20ones.

Will Smith and Kevin Hart will star in and produce a remake of the 1987 road comedy “Planes, Trains & Automobiles” for Paramount Pictures.

The original “Planes, Trains & Automobiles” was directed by John Hughes, and starred Steve Martin and the late John Candy as a pair of mismatched businessmen trying to get home to Chicago for Thanksgiving in the face of a variety of travel disasters.

The remake will be a modern update of the original, with Smith and Hart playing characters who are forced to team up to tackle travel obstacles to get home to their loved ones.

Hart’s HartBeat Productions and Smith’s Westbrook Studios are developing the remake. Aeysha Carr (“Brooklyn 99”) is set to pen the screenplay, marking her feature writing debut. Hart and Smith will produce the film alongside Westbrook Studios co-president and head of motion pictures Jon Mone and HartBeat’s president of film and television Bryan Smiley.
[Reply]
Bump 09:38 PM 09-14-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
:-)

You guys are upset about a remake of a 33 year old movie?

Seriously?

Today's audiences most likely know absolutely nothing about the original and even if they do, most wouldn't be able to connect with it.

They're remaking this film in order to attract the 18-49 year old crowd, not the 50+ crowd.
i think they are remaking it and so many other things for two reasons. Americans that still watch movies have to have name recognition to want to watch it. They've probably never seen the movie, but they've probably heard of it and that helps with selling it to them.

The other reason is that there just isn't really any more creativity or innovation so they have to remake things instead of making something new and original that can become a classic. Is there anything from the past 5 years or so that will be considered classics and universally loved in the future? Probably not many, if any.
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:14 PM 09-14-2020
Because the title is out there in the ether, so it's an easier sell (i.e., funding) than to call the movie something else entirely, then try to find funding.

Someone mentioned that this film wouldn't work because it's so much easier to travel today than it was in 1987.

Enter the TSA, COVID-19, Homeland Security, et al and you have the makings of a bankable comedy with two bankable and proven stars.

Now, that doesn't necessarily mean that it will work and draw a huge box office but it has a better chance with that title than without it.
Fair enough.

And that's why I don't write movies.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:39 PM 09-14-2020
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Fair enough.

And that's why I don't write movies.

That was you? Seriously, I didn’t remember who it was so my apologies if that came off as flippant.
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:52 PM 09-14-2020

That was you? Seriously, I didn’t remember who it was so my apologies if that came off as flippant.

It was me. No offense taken. I realize I'm the least creative dude on the board. I mean hell, I do accounting in the winter.

Seriously though, phones have made life sooooo much more simple. I'm sure a good film can be made, but I don't see where it is.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 05:34 AM 09-15-2020
Originally Posted by Frazod:
I guess it's one of those movies that gained in popularity over the years on home video.

Personally, I never cared for it. I've made the drive between St. Louis and Chicago a thousand times. It ain't that hard.
It is when you have to go through Wisconsin to get there.

They get picked up by a Wisconsin state trooper. Why would anyone go fron STL to CHI though Wiscy-on purpose.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 05:40 AM 09-15-2020
I’ll say this, I think John Hughes had a very unique, distinct and funny voice as an artist. That will be hard to replicate, so I wouldn’t even try. Come at it from a different angle.
[Reply]
kcpasco 06:03 AM 09-15-2020
The car rental scene is great. Your ****ed! Steve Martin does the best meltdowns.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 07:07 AM 09-15-2020
Originally Posted by Frazod:
. I've made the drive between St. Louis and Chicago a thousand times. It ain't that hard.
Remember they started off in New York. Heres the route they took
Attached: PTA.JPG (25.0 KB) 
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:34 AM 09-15-2020
Originally Posted by Bump:
The other reason is that there just isn't really any more creativity or innovation so they have to remake things instead of making something new and original that can become a classic.
That is just utterly ridiculous.

Marvel has done the unthinkable, which is to create 23 consecutive films, each with its own narrative yet fits into a much larger universe as seamlessly as possible, starring some of the best actors of this generation while breaking new ground in the fields of Sound Design, Scoring, Visual Effects and more.

Filmmakers like Christopher Nolan, Sam Mendes and countless others are at the top of their game, creating new stories and movies that challenge the moviegoer.

I could go on and on and on but if you can't find "Original" films to watch, that's on you, not on the people who are creating films.

Originally Posted by Bump:
Is there anything from the past 5 years or so that will be considered classics and universally loved in the future? Probably not many, if any.
Good grief.

[Reply]
eDave 10:38 AM 09-15-2020
Buehler made great points. Dane countered with great points. It was a great exchange and I'm more intrigued than before.
[Reply]
eDave 10:39 AM 09-15-2020
Originally Posted by kcpasco:
The car rental scene is great. Your ****ed! Steve Martin does the best meltdowns.
I was a car rental manager when that came out and they would show this clip every time we had a managers meeting and shit.
[Reply]
DJJasonp 10:42 AM 09-15-2020
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
I’ll say this, I think John Hughes had a very unique, distinct and funny voice as an artist. That will be hard to replicate, so I wouldn’t even try. Come at it from a different angle.
yep.

She's Having a Baby is another underrated John Hughes film that slips in the similar heart-tugs, etc.
[Reply]
Dayze 10:47 AM 09-15-2020
Martin at the rental car counter is so awesome.

I love that movie.

the Bus ride sing along is great too.

Del: "ok..who's next"?
Neil: "Ok, ok. I've got one"
Del: "Neil Page everyone! Neil's got one"!

pause

Neil: "...uh hemm... *singing* 'Two Coins, in a Fountain".....

*silence"

One of my favorite scenes. :-).
[Reply]
eDave 10:47 AM 09-15-2020
And hold up. 49m revenue vs. 30m cost doesn't sound like a flop. Not blockbuster, but flop?

I have never, ever been a movie theater goer. Did go to see this one.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:55 AM 09-15-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:
And hold up. 49m revenue vs. 30m cost doesn't sound like a flop. Not blockbuster, but flop?

I have never, ever been a movie theater goer. Did go to see this one.
It was in the theaters for more than a year and the studio receives less and less of the gross with each passing week after around week 8. Add marketing, promotion, et al and I don't think there's any doubt the movie lost money.

That doesn't mean it's a bad movie but it clearly did not connect with the public at the time.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Up