ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1372 of 3903
« First < 37287212721322136213681369137013711372 137313741375137613821422147218722372 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Mecca 08:30 AM 04-14-2020
Originally Posted by notorious:
The leadership in our school is outstanding. They will call the kid and parents when work doesn't get turned in.

The local cell and internet provider stepped up to the plate and installed free internet in every kid's house that doesn't have it for FREE.

Gotta love small communities that have their shit together.

In contrast, the large cities around us have a very good plan installed, but the students and parents aren't stepping up the plate. It's just a huge contrast in culture and accountability.
I've talked about this.......she's 16, she's a terrible student and doesn't give a fuck about it, at that age there is only so much I can do.
[Reply]
Donger 08:31 AM 04-14-2020
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
What site is that from, Dong?
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
[Reply]
stumppy 08:33 AM 04-14-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
I've talked about this.......she's 16, she's a terrible student and doesn't give a fuck about it, at that age there is only so much I can do.
Same deal here. 3 kids doing their work, 1 lying through her teeth about having it all done.
So far the teachers have been really good about staying in touch.
[Reply]
WhawhaWhat 08:33 AM 04-14-2020
I've talked about this.......she's 16, she's a terrible student and doesn't give a **** about it, at that age there is only so much I can do.

[Reply]
Marcellus 08:34 AM 04-14-2020
If you don't think kids spread shit like crazy, I dunno where you've been.
First off by fall there shouldn't be much risk of a large scale outbreak. Secondly kids to this point have been extremely mildly affected to compared to adults which makes transmission much more difficult. Not impossible but less likely.

You do have an issue with kids keeping their hands washed etc...but there are easily implemented mitigation techniques. That goes for school employees as well.

At some point you gotta move on. Talk about closing schools for another etc..is just absolutely ridiculous. Kids are much lower risk and adults who work with kids can take precautions.
[Reply]
O.city 08:34 AM 04-14-2020
Luckily our kids are in K and Preschool so the homework isnt' bad

I did learn apparently i'm not a very good teacher. Also, it's not allowed to put Irish cream in your coffee when teaching our kids. Who knew.
[Reply]
O.city 08:36 AM 04-14-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
First off by fall there shouldn't be much risk of a large scale outbreak. Secondly kids to this point have been extremely mildly affected to compared to adults which makes transmission much more difficult. Not impossible but less likely.

You do have an issue with kids keeping their hands washed etc...but there are easily implemented mitigation techniques. That goes for school employees as well.

At some point you gotta move on. Talk about closing schools for another etc..is just absolutely ridiculous. Kids are much lower risk and adults who work with kids can take precautions.
The fear isn't that the kids get it, it's that they're vectors that can take it and spread it around once they get home. I would imagine there are studies being undertaken to see if that's the case or not with this one.

Fall semester is still a ways off so I don't think it's pertinent to be making any decisions on it at this point anyway.
[Reply]
stumppy 08:36 AM 04-14-2020

Got a link to that info?
[Reply]
Marcellus 08:37 AM 04-14-2020
Originally Posted by stumppy:
Got a link to that info?
Are you seriously saying you haven't read where asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic people are less likely to spread the virus?
[Reply]
O.city 08:38 AM 04-14-2020
Are you seriously saying you haven't read where asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic people are less likely to spread the virus?
I actually haven't seen that. I was curious about it though, it would make sense.
[Reply]
RunKC 08:41 AM 04-14-2020

It’s basically to protect adults at this point. My MIL is 65 and is going through chemo right now for breast cancer treatment. It sucks but she hasn’t seen her grandchildren for over a month except on FaceTime.

I feel bad but that’s the kind of safety we’re gonna have to have with these older folks until a vaccine is ready next year.
[Reply]
petegz28 08:41 AM 04-14-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
I actually haven't seen that. I was curious about it though, it would make sense.
Yeah, I have not heard that one. Got some info?
[Reply]
Marcellus 08:41 AM 04-14-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
The fear isn't that the kids get it, it's that they're vectors that can take it and spread it around once they get home. I would imagine there are studies being undertaken to see if that's the case or not with this one.

Fall semester is still a ways off so I don't think it's pertinent to be making any decisions on it at this point anyway.
I'm not saying school would even open back up just like normal, there would be precautions necessary like making the kids wash hands more often, probably social distancing them more etc...

We have a food plant operating right now with 700 employees, 24hrs a day 7 days a week so far with no issues. We are taking employee temps as they enter the building, we have staggered shift starts to have less people arriving at the same time etc...

There are ways to do things different without just throwing in the towel and saying nope, can't do it. There is middle ground between where we were and being at full stop, people need to start realizing this.
[Reply]
Why Not? 08:44 AM 04-14-2020
My kids are doing pretty well with it. The 11 year old is on point with school but he always is. The 8 year old, who is the rebellious one is somewhat, well, rebellious. But he’s managing well enough.

Baring major turns for the worst, I don’t see them keeping schools shut in the fall. We’re blessed to be able to have my wife at home but millions of families are barely getting by with figuring out how to work and have eyes on the kids. The folks that are laid off will need to get back to work by the fall at the latest. Schools may look somewhat different, but they’ll be open.
[Reply]
DaFace 08:45 AM 04-14-2020
I'm not saying school would even open back up just like normal, there would be precautions necessary like making the kids wash hands more often, probably social distancing them more etc...

We have a food plant operating right now with 700 employees, 24hrs a day 7 days a week so far with no issues. We are taking employee temps as they enter the building, we have staggered shift starts to have less people arriving at the same time etc...

There are ways to do things different without just throwing in the towel and saying nope, can't do it. There is middle ground between where we were and being at full stop, people need to start realizing this.
"No issues" isn't actually all that convincing since it's likely you just haven't had anyone infected at all. "We had someone test positive but didn't otherwise see any community spread" would be compelling, though.
[Reply]
Page 1372 of 3903
« First < 37287212721322136213681369137013711372 137313741375137613821422147218722372 > Last »
Up