ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 4
< 1234
Washington DC and The Holy Land>Obesity and COVID-19
Eleazar 11:57 AM 09-08-2020
Doctors studying why obesity may be tied to serious COVID-19

By CANDICE CHOI
Associated Press
SEPTEMBER 8, 2020 — 11:41AM



NEW YORK — In the early days of the pandemic, doctors noticed something about the people severely ill from COVID-19: Many were obese.

The link became more apparent as coronavirus swept across the globe and data mounted, and researchers are still trying to figure out why.

Excess weight increases the chances of developing a number of health problems, including heart disease and diabetes. And those are among the conditions that can make COVID-19 patients more likely to get very sick.

But there's some evidence that obesity itself can increase the likelihood of serious complications from a coronavirus infection. One study of more than 5,200 infected people, including 35% who were obese, found that the chances of hospitalization rose for people with higher BMIs, even when taking into account other conditions that could put them at risk.

Scientists are still studying the factors that might be at play — the way obesity affects the immune system may be one — but say it's another example of the pandemic illuminating existing public health challenges.

Obesity may be one reason some countries or communities have been hit hard by the virus, researchers say. In the United States, the obesity rate among adults has climbed for decades and is now at 42%. The rate is even higher among Black and Hispanic Americans.

A person who is 5 feet, 7 inches tall is considered obese starting at around 190 pounds, or a body mass index of 30. The increased risk for serious COVID-19 illness appears more pronounced with extreme obesity, or a BMI of 40 or higher.

Researchers say multiple factors likely make it harder for people who are obese to fight a coronavirus infection, which can damage the lungs. Carrying around a lot of extra weight strains the body, and that excess fat could limit the lungs' ability to expand and breathe.

Another issue is chronic inflammation, which often comes with obesity. Inflammation is a natural way our bodies fight harmful intruders like viruses. But long-lasting inflammation isn’t healthy and could undermine your body’s defenses when a real threat arises.

“It’s like pouring gasoline on a smoldering fire,” said Dr. Dariush Mozaffarian, an obesity researcher and dean of Tufts University's school of nutrition science and policy near Boston.

And even if people who are obese aren't diagnosed with diabetes or heart disease, Mozaffarian notes their health may not be optimal.

How fat is distributed in the body may play a role too. One study found an increased risk for death from COVID-19 for people with severe obesity, but only among men. The findings could reflect that men tend to carry fat around the stomach, said Sara Tartof, a co-author of the study who researches infectious diseases at Kaiser Permanente in Southern California. That type of fat is more associated with the production of a hormone that could be contributing to more severe illness, she said.

Scientists are also exploring whether there’s something specific about the coronavirus itself that makes the obese more susceptible to getting very sick.

For example, the virus infects cells by attaching to receptors on the surface of certain cells. That receptor is abundant on fat cells and scientists are studying whether that makes them “a good nest for the virus,” said Dr. Francois Pattou at the University of Lille in France, who has co-authored research on the link between obesity and severe COVID-19 illness.

Complications in care can arise once hospitalized, too. To help with breathing, for example, doctors have been putting patients hospitalized with COVID-19 on their stomachs. But that can be difficult for the obese, making it more likely they’re put on ventilators.

“They need a machine to help just do the work,” said Dr. David Kass of Baltimore's Johns Hopkins University, who has co-authored a study on obesity and severe COVID-19 illness.

Yet another concern: A COVID-19 vaccine may not be as effective for the obese, as seems to be the case with the flu and other vaccines.

Why that might be isn't known, but one possibility is that obesity impairs an aspect of the immune system that needs to be activated for vaccines to work, said Dr. Nancie MacIver, who researches how weight affects the immune system at Duke University in Durham, North Carolina. And she said whatever factors are at play would likely be applicable to a COVID-19 vaccine, but added that it is still important to get it.

___

The Associated Press Health and Science Department receives support from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute’s Department of Science Education. The AP is solely responsible for all content.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 04:54 PM 09-08-2020
Originally Posted by MahiMike:
Every now and then, God gives us ways to thin the herd. We're not supposed to be fighting it.
thank you China!
[Reply]
theoldcoach 04:54 PM 09-08-2020
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Speaking of diets, i just shat out last night's Mango-Habenero wings. Damn that shit was spicy. The actual shit, not just the wings.
Did you taste it?
[Reply]
srvy 05:56 PM 09-08-2020
Originally Posted by NinerDoug:
Thank you for this enlightening commentary.

It's among the best I've seen from you! (Seriously).

I'm gonna guess you're a fat ass.
As usual, you are wrong but I have high confidence you are morbidly obese.

Like a wafer-thin mint?


[Reply]
NinerDoug 06:10 PM 09-08-2020
Originally Posted by srvy:
As usual, you are wrong but I have high confidence you are morbidly obese.

Like a wafer-thin mint?

No, as usual YOU are wrong, but I have a high level of confidence that you are a fat ass.
[Reply]
Merde Furieux 07:02 AM 09-16-2020
It will probably take months if not years for the truth of the Covid-19 pandemic to emerge, but when it does will any politician take responsibility for the lies and disinformation or the damage this hoax caused this great nation? I don’t think so, but what it did prove was what happens when the Democrats are in charge. They may not be in the White House but it is the House that wields the power over legislation and our money. Couple this power with the useful idiots in the mainstream media to promote the widespread hysteria, and we then had the total capitulation of a frightened nation that accepted an unprecedented total lockdown of its existence. Shame on us.

If the fourth estate had done its job or had any integrity left, it would have reported the actual figures of the coronavirus’ impact instead of what would generate the most fear. So what is the truth? Why did hospitals and doctors count practically all deaths, even motorcycle accidents and cancer deaths, as Covid-19 deaths? Could it be because of extra government funding for these cases?

The CDC released a very controversial report that the actual death rate due to the Covid-19 alone was miniscule compared to what was reported in the mainstream news. Reuters is listing 194,147 as covid deaths as of September 14, 2020.

In an August article by Leslie Eastman in Legal Insurrection.com, a chart was posted with CDC figures:

“To begin with, it doesn’t mean that the virus killed only about 9700 Americans. The data demonstrates that unless there is another underlying health condition, most people infected have very little chance of dying. This is especially true of young people who fall prey to the pathogen.

Yet, those people who had heart conditions, kidney problems, or other medical conditions who died might still be alive except that they were infected with COVID-19.

Since the inception of this pandemic, COVID-19 deaths have been lumped together into a category that included presumed deaths.

Before the Covid-19 pandemic hit the news, over 12,000 Americans had died in 2019 of the regular flu. This new virus was supposedly deadlier because it was highly contagious and no one was immune to it. But while the virus originated in Wuhan, China, progressives refused to name it the Chinese virus. Morons were even calling it the European flu. In January, Trump ordered restrictions on flights from China. In February, Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi was suggesting that we should go to Chinatown and hug a Chinese person to show we’re not discriminating against them.

Unless your source of news is only the mainstream press, then you probably have not heard this quote from a Chinese virologist Dr. Li-Meng Yan, who says she did some of the earliest research into COVID-19 last year. She escaped from Hong Kong and had been hiding in fear but has stepped out into the public eye again to make the explosive claim that she has scientific evidence to prove that Covid-19 was human-made in a lab in China.

“When asked where the deadly virus that has killed more than 900,000 around the globe comes from, Yan — speaking via video chat from a secret location — replied, “It comes from the lab — the lab in Wuhan and the lab is controlled by China’s government.” “The first thing is the [meat] market in Wuhan … is a smoke screen and this virus is not from nature,” Yan claimed, explaining that she got “her intelligence from the CDC in China, from the local doctors.”

BTW, Twitter just shut down her account. Quelle surprise!

The truth is that we’ve been lied to continuously since the media decided to scare us to death with bogus data, and our lack of common sense. Since I am high risk due to my age and health issues, I have been self quarantined for several months. My daughter and her husband who works for the MTA came down with the virus and recovered because they are young and had no serious health issues. In other words, the young and healthy are unlikely to succumb and should never have been locked down. The vulnerable, on the other hand, needed to take proper steps to quarantine voluntarily.

When the Covid-19 press conferences began with the medical experts dispensing their opinions and advice, Dr. Anthony Fauci became the so-called expert to go to, but I never cared or trusted him. Fauci would roll his eyes, bring his hand to head, and smirk while Trump was talking and once when leaving the room nodded in solidarity with the CNN reporter. The MSM made him a superstar in spite of the fact that he kept changing his opinion and hadn’t seen a patient in over 35 years.

In previous severe flu seasons, there were much higher death rates yet there were no mandatory lockdowns. Why do I call this pandemic a hoax? The only reason why politicians, especially the Democrats in charge, pushed for shutting down the economy was because economic destruction was their ultimate goal. Trump’s strong economy, low unemployment numbers for all Americans was a real obstacle to a Joe Biden victory. Democrats have seized on this pandemic because they never let a crisis go to waste.

Americans have been gaslighted. We can’t take anything reported by the New York Times, Washington Post, Associated Press, Reuters, CNN, MSNBC, the Drudge Report and the Alphabet Networks as gospel because it’s all designed to frighten and delay the recovery. Dr. Fauci insists that things will not return to normal until 2021. Joe Biden if elected will mandate mandatory mask wearing for all. What a joke. Masks don’t even work and I feel sorry for all those required to wear them all day at work because they are breathing in carbon dioxide and moisture.

There is one good thing about the pandemic. I wrote before about the new thrilling novel, Silent Strike, by Dr. Francis Bandettini and Matt Nilsen, about a deadly bio attack by Iran. What made it deadly was the fact that we were unable to handle the shortage of medical equipment needed to battle the epidemic of respiratory cases. This administration proved that it could produce whatever we needed in a short space of time. Kudos to our POTUS.

I hope and pray that if President Trump is reelected and the Democrats lose the House and the state legislatures in the states overrun by Antifa riots and BLM protests, normalcy will return swiftly and the economy will boom.

From my lips to God’s ears.

https://www.americanthinker.com/arti...n_history.html
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 07:40 AM 09-16-2020
Originally Posted by Spott:
The BMI thing only seems to apply if you don’t work out. The last time I checked one of those charts it said that I had to be under 158lbs (I’m 5’8”) to get out of the obese category. If you do any kind of working out you are going to build muscle mass and gain weight.
Agreed. I'm supposed to be like 170, and I can't get below 195 to save my life. BUT...I've been working out at Orange Theory for the last 2 years and they have the Body Scan thing that they can do to give you a breakdown of your muscle to fat ratio. I have seen a steady decline in fat, and an increase in muscle mass. Basically, I'm 50 years old and probably in better shape now that I was at 30, even though back then I weighed in the mid 180's.

It's not about the scale. Exercise, control your diet (you don't have to starve, but moderate, sometimes a LOT of moderation) and you will see results.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 4
< 1234
Up