ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 20 of 207
« First < 101617181920 212223243070120 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Any Bourbon drinkers out there?
The Poz 01:04 PM 06-19-2008
I've heard some good things about Buffalo Trace Bourbon.
http://www.buffalotrace.com/

Can't get it up here north of the border but, through a wine distributer I am able to order a case. Would like to hear from someone who knows their stuff and has tried it before I order.

Thanks
[Reply]
penguinz 11:25 AM 12-03-2014
Originally Posted by The Poz:
Anyone try Orphan Barrel? Looks interesting.

http://www.orphanbarrel.com/#our-whiskeys

Love the packaging.
Barterhouse is very good.
[Reply]
saphojunkie 11:29 AM 12-03-2014
Just got back from Tennessee and tried a bottle of Belle Meade. Two sons who discovered their family was an old whiskey distiller before prohibition and have brought it back to life. Drank this stuff all week and really liked it. It was almost a hybrid Tennessee sour/bourbon. Worth a try.
[Reply]
BigOlChiefsfan 11:37 AM 12-03-2014
The folks who own Buffalo Trace have done some swapping w/other distillers over the past 20 years. IMHO they've wound up w/a really great portfolio of bourbons, picking up some 'big shot' bottles as well as several of the better 'working man' bourbons to give those of us who don't plan to spend $80/750 for a 'single barrel' bottle.

The Very Old Barton is now in their stable, Barton is pretty much just making rum/vodka, etc... for their own label, and making bourbon that gets marketed under other labels. VOB was never available in KS, but may start appearing on local shelves (I don't buy much anymore, it might be out there now)

Y'all fans of Buffalo Trace are right - it's a danged good bourbon for the money. And your W.L. Weller - a 'wheated' bourbon - is the basis for the Van Winkle bottles (When Julian Van Winkle sold off the family distillery and it's rickhoused bourbon, he kept 'the best' and marketed it himself. That's mostly gone now but he still picks the 'honey barrels' to use for Van Winkle w/the Buffalo Trace folks). That said, I think the Weller 10 year old is the best bargain most of yez will need to find. Good, smooth bourbon w/enough time in the wood to develop some nice mellow flavor.

Doc has me 'off the juice' for now as my gall bladder has been acting sassy. Y'all will have to drink a double to keep my share of the whusky flowing like normal. We don't want to have any more distillers going out of bidness just because I'm on the sidelines.
[Reply]
NewChief 02:39 PM 12-03-2014
Originally Posted by saphojunkie:
Just got back from Tennessee and tried a bottle of Belle Meade. Two sons who discovered their family was an old whiskey distiller before prohibition and have brought it back to life. Drank this stuff all week and really liked it. It was almost a hybrid Tennessee sour/bourbon. Worth a try.
This has become the goto whiskey for my favorite bar. The bartenders are constantly pushing it. I like it pretty well.
[Reply]
MotherfuckerJones 02:48 PM 12-03-2014
Half done with a bottle Basil Hayden. Very good
[Reply]
The Poz 05:07 PM 09-12-2015
Just cracked a bottle of Basil Hayden's and mmmm mmmmmm mmmmmm. Delightful!
[Reply]
KCTitus 09:07 PM 09-12-2015
Originally Posted by BigOlChiefsfan:
....Y'all fans of Buffalo Trace are right - it's a danged good bourbon for the money...
Hell yes it is...a nice nip in the air tells me its time for bourbon, bidges...cracking a bottle of buffalo trace as we speak.
[Reply]
Bewbies 09:12 PM 09-12-2015
I'm smoking a toro sized La Flor de las Antillas paired with a couple fingers of Makers Mark, out on my patio in the earliest 60 degree night I remember here in Atlanta.

I love how Makers gets all caramelly(is that a word) when it's poured from a cold bottle...
[Reply]
KCTitus 09:15 PM 09-12-2015
Originally Posted by Bewbies:
I'm smoking a toro sized La Flor de las Antillas paired with a couple fingers of Makers Mark, out on my patio in the earliest 60 degree night I remember here in Atlanta.

I love how Makers gets all caramelly(is that a word) when it's poured from a cold bottle...
Does it get any better? I think not...
[Reply]
Bewbies 09:23 PM 09-12-2015
Originally Posted by KCTitus:
Does it get any better? I think not...
Maybe a 60 degree Sunday night in early February celebrating a KC win in the last football game of the year.., :-)
[Reply]
KCTitus 09:25 PM 09-12-2015
Originally Posted by Bewbies:
Maybe a 60 degree Sunday night in early February celebrating a KC win in the last football game of the year.., :-)
Ok...you win...even in my neck of the woods there aint no 60 degree Sunday nights in February. :-)
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 09:27 PM 09-12-2015
Having some Knob Creek right now. Better than Makers.
[Reply]
KCTitus 09:29 PM 09-12-2015
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
Dunno...never been a fan of the Knob...it's not nearly as smooth as a few others for the price.
[Reply]
philfree 09:35 PM 09-12-2015
Last evening I had a Smoked Manhattan make with Makers. That's a pretty neat cocktail. They infuse the bourbon with a hickory smoke from a smoke gun. It was good.
[Reply]
Bewbies 09:37 PM 09-12-2015
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
Even though you're wrong, it's nearly impossible to lose when drinking bourbon.
[Reply]
Page 20 of 207
« First < 101617181920 212223243070120 > Last »
Up