« First < 61213141516 1718192026 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Eddie Van Halen has Died
chinaski 01:42 PM 10-06-2020
Breaking Now

:-)
[Reply]
alpha_omega 09:06 PM 10-06-2020
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Channel 27. It was on the home screen on my phone app when I started my walk tonight. Good shit.
In on that. Thx. Yep. Right on the home screen.
[Reply]
MOhillbilly 09:10 PM 10-06-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I ended up not being that big of a VH fan but the first two albums I bought with my own money were 1984 and Scorpions Love At First Sting. I was in 5th grade IIRC.
Not soon after a kid who lived down the street and was light years ahead of our time introduced me to the good stuff the next year.
I still like Van Halen but they aren’t one I play to often. Mostly because they got so much fuckin air play growing up I just got sick of hard rock.
[Reply]
JakeF 09:12 PM 10-06-2020
:-):-):-)

[Reply]
MOhillbilly 09:13 PM 10-06-2020
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
I was curious how many times I'd seen VH live, so I dug out the the old scrapbook. I have 7 ticket stubs, but there are probably a couple missing.

Anyone of note open these shows?
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 09:15 PM 10-06-2020
Originally Posted by MOhillbilly:
I was at both Kemper Arena shows in 1984 and both show there in 1986.

There was a band that opened in 1984 that Van Halen paid only $400 dollars a night to perform because why pay $10 Grand a night when the people were only there to see Van Halen? The crowd boo'd and threw bottles and cans at them the entire time.

I don't even recall an opening band in 1986.

The lights went down, the band came onstage and immediately ripped through Sammy Hagar's There's Only One Way To Rock.
[Reply]
EPodolak 09:19 PM 10-06-2020
I was curious how many times I'd seen VH live, so I dug out the the old scrapbook. I have 7 ticket stubs, but there are probably a couple missing.

Ten bucks...what are you, made of cash?
[Reply]
BlackOp 09:21 PM 10-06-2020
I ended up not being that big of a VH fan but the first two albums I bought with my own money were 1984 and Scorpions Love At First Sting. I was in 5th grade IIRC.
I remember hearing "No One Like You" when it came out...and thinking who the **** is this?

It's still one of the best pure metal guitar solos of all time IMO...like Gary Moore on steroids. It's just rips your face off...
[Reply]
Dartgod 09:21 PM 10-06-2020
Originally Posted by MOhillbilly:
I honestly don't remember any of them, but that 5/31/86 show was opened by Bachman Turner Overdrive and the 7/27/93 show was opened by Vince Neil,
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 09:26 PM 10-06-2020
I honestly don't remember any of them, but that 5/31/86 show was opened by Bachman Turner Overdrive and the 7/27/93 show was opened by Vince Neil,
Really, BTO opened for Van Halen in 1986? Man, I don't remember that, at all.

Maybe it's because I did know that at the time and chose to arrive when Van Halen hit the stage.

The Velcros! That was the name of the band that Van Halen paid $400 a night to open for them.
[Reply]
Dartgod 09:27 PM 10-06-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Really, BTO opened for Van Halen in 1986? Man, I don't remember that, at all.

Maybe it's because I did know that at the time and chose to arrive when Van Halen hit the stage.
I don't remember it either. But being stoned out of my gourd probably has something to do with that. :-)

I got my info from the '86 show from here:

https://www.concertarchives.org/concerts/5150-tour--3

Not sure how reliable that site is.

One of the earlier shows from my stubs showed After The Fire ("Der Kommissar") opened for them. I sure as hell don't remember that.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 09:32 PM 10-06-2020
I don't remember it either. But being stoned out of my gourd probably has something to do with that. :-)

I got my info from the '86 show from here:

https://www.concertarchives.org/concerts/5150-tour--3

Not sure how reliable that site is.

One of the earlier shows from my stubs showed After The Fire ("Der Kommissar") opened for them. I sure as hell don't remember that.
Yeah, I certainly didn't see Autograph open for them because I was into Steve Lynch, their guitarist who also taught at G.I.T. (Now MIT).

But man, I seriously do not remember Bachman Turner Overdrive opening for Van Halen in KC. I mean, I can remember the car ride down to Kemper and the chick I took to the concert, backstage - just about everything but not BTO.

[Reply]
htismaqe 09:37 PM 10-06-2020
Originally Posted by BlackOp:
I remember hearing "No One Like You" when it came out...and thinking who the fuck is this?

It still is the best metal guitar solo of all time IMO...like Gary Moore on steroids. It's just rips your face off...
Funny thing. I got into the Scorpions with that album but as I got older, I actually started disliking their new stuff and gravitating towards their older stuff.

The first album they released after LAFS was World Wide Live, which contained a bunch of their older material. I was immediately captivated by songs like Blackout and by the time Savage Amusement came out and they had bought into being balladeers, I was listening to Uli Roth-era Scorpions.
[Reply]
BlackOp 09:37 PM 10-06-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
taught at G.I.T. (Now MIT).
Went to G.I.T. in late 80s...haha...used to drink at Bordners and Cat-n-Fiddle.
[Reply]
BlackOp 09:44 PM 10-06-2020
Funny thing. I got into the Scorpions with that album but as I got older, I actually started disliking their new stuff and gravitating towards their older stuff.

The first album they released after LAFS was World Wide Live, which contained a bunch of their older material. I was immediately captivated by songs like Blackout and by the time Savage Amusement came out and they had bought into being balladeers, I was listening to Uli Roth-era Scorpions.
My roots were in early 80s metal...but I really never listen to that genre anymore. Mathias Jabs had bad-ass vibrato and phrasing...he and Vivian Campbell were both Gary Moore fan boys.

It was funny...Campbell was asked what solo he wished he had played...he said "no one like you"....I chuckled.

I hadn't listened to VH in like 15 years...think I watched an old "unchained" video on YouTube once....their newer music, which I heard for the first time from this thread...is ...umm...not so good. :-)
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:46 PM 10-06-2020
Originally Posted by BlackOp:
My roots were in early 80s metal...but I really never listen to that genre anymore. Mathias Jabs had bad-ass vibrato and phrasing...he and Vivian Campbell were both Gary Moore fan boys.

It was funny...Campbell was asked what solo he wished he had played...he said "no one like you"....I chuckled.

I hadn't listened to VH in like 15 years...think I watched an old "unchained" video on YouTube once....their newer music, which I heard for the first time from this thread..is ...umm...not so good. :-)
I listen to it pretty much every day. I'm a huge Dio/Sabbath and Judas Priest fan.
[Reply]
Page 16 of 31
« First < 61213141516 1718192026 > Last »
Up