ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Nzoner's Game Room>The NFL and the rise of superteams
Mecca 08:05 AM 09-20-2019
https://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/sa...235283687.html

Star NFL players are beginning to take after their NBA counterparts by taking more control of their careers. And 49ers cornerback Richard Sherman believes it’s ultimately good for the sport.

“I think it’s good for the game just because it gives something different,” Sherman said. “It’s not as predictable.”

Fans of certain teams might disagree. The Raiders recently lost stars Khalil Mack and Antonio Brown. The New York Giants traded superstar receiver Odell Beckham Jr. to the Cleveland Browns for a package including two players and two draft picks. The Jaguars might be in a similar boat with All-Pro cornerback Jalen Ramsey, who reportedly requested a trade away from Jacksonville this week.

The physical nature of the NFL means stars can have a short shelf life, and players are understanding the best ways to maximize their careers can be leveraging their value between the lines to put themselves in situations to succeed. In Beckham’s case, he went from a rebuilding situation under new general manager Dave Gettleman to a team in win-now mode in Cleveland.

Mack held out from the Raiders before last season because the team didn’t want to give him a lucrative contract. He eventually landed with the Chicago Bears via trade, who handed him a six-year, $141 million contract before making a playoff run. The Raiders finished 4-12.

The blueprint may have been created by LeBron James in 2010, when he took his talents to the Miami Heat while creating a super team with Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh that won two championships. Then Kevin Durant went to the 73-win Golden State Warriors in 2016 and also won two titles.

This summer, Kawhi Leonard won the NBA Finals MVP with the Toronto Raptors, then signed with the Los Angeles Clippers, making his agreement contingent on the team trading for Paul George. And Durant left behind Golden State’s dynasty to start something new with the Brooklyn Nets, where he teamed up with good friend Kyrie Irving.

It certainly isn’t as easy for stars to team up in the NFL. But NFL players might be in the early stages of a paradigm change that allows them similar agency in dictating their futures.

“I think you see that in a big way,” Sherman said. “And I’m sure the owners don’t like that. I don’t think they ever like to give up any power or for players to effect their power. But I think it’s good for the game. I think it’s good for the game to have some differences.”

The changing philosophy from players could be a significant factor in the upcoming negotiations with owners over the new collective bargaining agreement. The current deal expires after the 2020 season, and players are assuredly looking for more guaranteed dollars in their contracts and better benefits, such as health care provided by the league after their playing careers.

Sherman is a vice present of the NFL Players Association and San Francisco’s team representative. He’s been outspoken for years about subjects such as player safety and rule changes favoring the offense.

The “player empowerment era,” as it’s called in the NBA, could lead to a watered down version in pro football, which could force owners to to make changes with the way they handle their own stars to ensure they don’t want to leave for greener pastures.

“I do think that’s another benefit that’s going to come from this,” said Sherman, “is that I think these organizations are going to treat these players with a lot more respect and admiration, and just appreciation.”

Stars, of course, are the most valuable commodity in pro football, perhaps aside from a once-in-a-generation coach like Bill Belichick, for example. Yet they’re becoming harder and harder to identify in the NFL Draft, which is far from an exact science.

Sherman is an obvious example. He’s one of the best cornerbacks of his generation and a likely Hall of Famer, yet he was a fifth-round draft pick. Tom Brady was a sixth-round draft choice before winning six Super Bowls. And every team has seen its share of first-round flameouts.

It’s all led to teams realizing they might need to trade for a star rather than trying to find one in the draft – and the take the time needed to develop him.

“I think people are starting to realize that first-round picks aren’t as valuable as they used to be,” Sherman said. “It’s what can you do for me now, rather than waiting and developing a player who may develop, may not develop. You’re getting players who you know what they’re going to be, you know what they are. And you’re exchanging the first-round draft capital, which you don’t know what it could be.”

Despite all that, Sherman doesn’t believe the 49ers need to trade any of their valuable draft capital to improve the 49ers, who are off to their first 2-0 start since they went to the Super Bowl following the 2012 season. Fans have clamored for the team to trade for Ramsey even while third-year cornerback Ahkello Witherspoon is playing the best football of his career.

“I think we’re good with what we have,” he said. “We leave it to the front office, I don’t make those decisions. Obviously they feel comfortable with what we had going into the season. That’s why they cut the guys they cut and kept the guys they kept. (I’m) really confident in our guys at every position.”

This is totally coming, the NFL players are jealous of the NBA guys and want to do the same things. Part of me doesn't like it but part of me says we got Patrick Mahomes the guy everyone is going to want to play with....
[Reply]
ModSocks 10:19 AM 09-20-2019
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Denver did....
The Rams bought an NFC championship and a trip to the SB. The Eagles basically did too.
[Reply]
T-post Tom 10:21 AM 09-20-2019
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
:-)
[Reply]
-King- 10:21 AM 09-20-2019
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Yeah, and it's bad enough without being artificially enhanced. The NFL has been working for decades to get parity so that fans don't drift away because there's no reward for them. This phenomenon is a direct reversal of that.

I understand why players would do it, but I put the league above individual players, and this is bad for the league. The NBA has always been unwatchable, but it's even more unwatchable now that everyone knows who'll win at the beginning of each season.
Ironically, NBA players movement this off season has made it so that next year is a total free for all. There a lot of teams that will contend for a title.
[Reply]
chinaski 11:31 AM 09-20-2019
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
This is a terrible thing for the league and for fans. No one wants to watch the same teams winning over and over and over just because the players want to get a cheap ring.
Jostens makes those rings. Same company that makes High School and College Class rings. Yes, I am sure they are a click above those, but fuck, if you want a ring, just go buy one.

Heck, I'm pretty sure I spotted Mitchell Schwartz wearing a Patek Phillipe Aquanaut, that's a 20k watch.
[Reply]
bowener 12:38 PM 09-20-2019
In the NFL success seems to come down to ownership more than anything. Yes, a great coach and stud QB are required for prolonged success, but you have to have ownership with enough sense, patience, and trust to allow for something to grow into a great team. Once it is established it will attract better players and players will respect the team more knowing while there they have a chance at greatness.

Look at the perennial bottom feeders or underachievers. They all seem to have shit ownership that is totally fine with owning a loser so long as it makes money. Royals owner Glass could take over the Browns organization and it would run the exact same as it does now.
[Reply]
BossChief 01:26 PM 09-20-2019
It’s not something that just started.

Bo Jackson
John Elway
Eli Manning
Jake Plummer

Lots of instances where a player didn’t want to play for the team that had his rights.
[Reply]
Eureka 01:34 PM 09-20-2019
All super-teams start with a great QB.
[Reply]
Mile High Mania 02:01 PM 09-20-2019
Ok, so ... which teams are the 'superteams'?

Most recently, the Rams went on their big spending spree... no title yet. Yes, after the SEA loss, Denver went all in on a few guys and that worked.

CLE did well this offseason, they're not lighting the world on fire at this point.

Patriots, Chiefs, Bills, Ravens, Cowboys, Packers, Rams, 49ers and SEA... all undefeated right now. Are any of these teams really a superteam in the sense the article describes?
[Reply]
Dunerdr 02:29 PM 09-20-2019
Originally Posted by Mile High Mania:
Ok, so ... which teams are the 'superteams'?

Most recently, the Rams went on their big spending spree... no title yet. Yes, after the SEA loss, Denver went all in on a few guys and that worked.

CLE did well this offseason, they're not lighting the world on fire at this point.

Patriots, Chiefs, Bills, Ravens, Cowboys, Packers, Rams, 49ers and SEA... all undefeated right now. Are any of these teams really a superteam in the sense the article describes?
I only glanced at it but i believe the article alludes to the fact that in the future super teams will be more common, and i dont think the mean like the future tomorrow.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 02:52 PM 09-20-2019
If Denver did, it was Manning.....not the others around him.....and the refs.
[Reply]
Mile High Mania 03:03 PM 09-20-2019
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
If Denver did, it was Manning.....not the others around him.....and the refs.

[Reply]
Ubeja Vontell 04:13 PM 09-20-2019
Everything about the way the NFL is ran sucks. They do everything as wrong as wrong can get.

First off where is the competition? The CFL, Arena football? Where are these guys going to go? Why are they paying these guys that kind of $$$$$$ it's beyond stupid.

Contracts signed are written in stone. The team cannot cut you and no contract can be reworked.

All contracts are for four seasons.

Nobody making over 10 mill a season.

We all work and have to deal with how the place is ran if we don't like it, we can quit. You wanna play NFL football there it is, you will make at least 1 mill a season, where can you beat that?

I like all of you make ends meet on far less than a 1 mill a year. In five years all these guys could be more than set for life. If they aren't then they didn't want to be.
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 05:22 PM 09-20-2019
Yeah, I don't buy the NFL will EVER be a player's league like the NBA.

1. Coaching matters too much

2. Rosters are big.
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 05:23 PM 09-20-2019
Originally Posted by Ubeja Vontell:
Everything about the way the NFL is ran sucks. They do everything as wrong as wrong can get.
They're the most successful and profitable sport in the entire nation.
[Reply]
Stewie 05:28 PM 09-20-2019
The NFL wasn't dominated by a few teams in the 70's and 80's? Let's see. The Dolphins, Steelers, Cowboys and 49ers.

This is something new?
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up