ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Nzoner's Game Room>Dolphin player claims ref told him "Get off Tom" (Brady)
DJJasonp 10:46 AM 09-19-2019
Calling Black Ops........

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/dolphin...160646068.html

The NFL has made it no secret it wants to protect quarterbacks in recent seasons. But if one Miami Dolphins player is to be believed, the league may have gone too far when it comes to keeping its stars safe.

Dolphins linebacker Raekwon McMillan says a ref told him to take it easy on New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady during Sunday’s game. McMillan claims the ref went so far as to say “stay off Tom.”

Raekwon McMillan told me when he hit Brady on Sunday - a perfectly legit hit - the referee told him "Stay off Tom." NFL still protecting those QBs amid several early season injuries to marquee ones
— Barry Jackson (@flasportsbuzz) September 18, 2019

That’s quite the accusation, which, if true, casts the NFL in a bad light. If the refs are giving stars preferential treatment, that’s a huge problem. Some fans already believe this to be the case, so if refs are actually vocalizing it to players, that’s even more damning.

It’s possible McMillan is exaggerating the point. Perhaps the ref told him to “stay off the quarterback.” That’s not as bad as the ref singling out Brady.

Given the Patriots and Brady’s success, some fans are eager to accept the NFL is going out of its way to help the franchise. While that might make it tempting to believe McMillan, we’re going to need other players to step forward with similar stories before we suggest this is a vast conspiracy.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 04:23 PM 09-19-2019
believable
[Reply]
Easy 6 04:53 PM 09-19-2019
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
believable
Yep, no one besides pats fans doubt this story

How do you beat someone if you can’t hit them?
[Reply]
Pablo 05:29 PM 09-19-2019
Tom really, really, really needs a knee adjustment. Depending on the player that blows that sucker out, I think a jersey t-shirt would be in order. Hoping it's somebody cool that puts the old man down for good.
[Reply]
Flying High D 07:26 PM 09-19-2019
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
This is a good thing. People want to see stars. Not scrubs. They need to protect QBs and frankly all players - Tyreek was unnec roughed up and injured and I don’t want to see that either.

Pollard should’ve been kicked out commissioner of the league after he dove at Brady’s knee in 08
My exact same thought.
[Reply]
Sorry 07:30 PM 09-19-2019
Originally Posted by Halfcan:
If anyone doesn't think Brady has received special treatment his entire career- they are blind. Their O line blatantly holds every game and rarely get flagged for it.

Manning got the red carpet treatment in Denver and Rivers gets it for some reason as well.

Mahomes has been cheap shotted many times and does not even get a second look by the refs. He is the face of the NFL now- you would think they would at least call a fair game.
Just remember Alex Smith days, he would get pummeled. Athletic QBs get no respect...look at cam
[Reply]
Giant Octopodes 08:07 PM 09-19-2019
Originally Posted by Sorry:
Just remember Alex Smith days, he would get pummeled. Athletic QBs get no respect...look at cam
Well yeah, once you step out of the pocket the rules change. And I don't mean that from a refs treat them differently perspective, I mean the rules literally change. They can get hit in ways that would be immediately flagged were it to happen in the pocket, that's part of the tradeoff of scrambling.

As far as the refs protecting him, I'd believe it. Both from a specific, 'the NFL has already had too many aging legends go out due to injury and doesn't want Tom to get hurt too because it damages their potential viewership and sales' perspective, and from a general 'did you see that guy tackle Baker in a perfectly legal, nearly textbook fashion and get fined for it? The babying of QBs is getting ridiculous' perspective.

Trust me, in the pocket Mahomes will get the same protection this year, the last thing that the NFL wants is to lose its newest golden child to injury. But if he scrambles out of there, there's little they can do.
[Reply]
threebag 09:04 PM 09-19-2019
Originally Posted by wazu:
Only white QBs receive this treatment.
What’s the 40 time?
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:07 PM 09-19-2019
Good. Maybe Mahones will get the “Brady” treatment soon.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 09:08 PM 09-19-2019
Originally Posted by AdolfOliverBush:
I'm guessing McMillan simply misunderstood the official. "Get off Tom" and "Get Tom off" likely sound similar in a loud NFL stadium.
Exactly.
[Reply]
Valiant 10:17 PM 09-19-2019
Originally Posted by Giant Octopodes:
Well yeah, once you step out of the pocket the rules change. And I don't mean that from a refs treat them differently perspective, I mean the rules literally change. They can get hit in ways that would be immediately flagged were it to happen in the pocket, that's part of the tradeoff of scrambling.

As far as the refs protecting him, I'd believe it. Both from a specific, 'the NFL has already had too many aging legends go out due to injury and doesn't want Tom to get hurt too because it damages their potential viewership and sales' perspective, and from a general 'did you see that guy tackle Baker in a perfectly legal, nearly textbook fashion and get fined for it? The babying of QBs is getting ridiculous' perspective.

Trust me, in the pocket Mahomes will get the same protection this year, the last thing that the NFL wants is to lose its newest golden child to injury. But if he scrambles out of there, there's little they can do.
I hope so but the blatant facemask was missed week one.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up