ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 12
1 234511 > Last »
Media Center>Jack Reacher
Ubeja Vontell 12:22 AM 09-10-2019
I discovered Lee Childs Jack Reacher stories about 10 years ago, what a great read. Usually we find Reacher hitch hiking, as he wanders the USA, somebody will eventually pick him up despite having a hulkish look at 6-6 260ish. And our story begins.

When I heard there was going to be a movie, yep, excited. But........Tom Cruise? How can the 5-8 170 (guessing) sell the huge Jack Reacher? In the stories the size of Reacher is a constant, we get it.....big bad hombre. Tom Cruise a big bad hombre......nay!

X pro rassler/current actor Dave Batista.....perfect.

If a movie is based on a literary character why not stay as close as possible to the story?

I guess the worst casting job ever was John Wayne as Ghanghis Ghan, What were they thinking?
[Reply]
Fishpicker 12:54 AM 09-10-2019
Originally Posted by Ubeja Vontell:
I guess the worst casting job ever was John Wayne as Ghanghis Ghan, What were they thinking?
ha ha what? no.
BTW... the characters name is Temujin

I feel this Tartar woman is for me, and my blood says, take her. There are moments for wisdom and moments when I listen to my blood; my blood says, take this Tartar woman.
[Reply]
Easy 6 05:15 AM 09-10-2019
Originally Posted by Fishpicker:
ha ha what? no.
BTW... the characters name is Temujin

I feel this Tartar woman is for me, and my blood says, take her. There are moments for wisdom and moments when I listen to my blood; my blood says, take this Tartar woman.
Wasn’t Temujin his actual name?
[Reply]
RockChalk 07:40 AM 09-10-2019
Well they've made two Jack Reacher films so far. First one cost $60m and it made $218m. Second one cost anywhere from $60-96m (depending on who you believe) and it made $162m.

So yes, Tom Cruise can sell the character. If they had cast Dave Bautista back in 2012, nobody would have given a shit and a second movie would have never been made.
[Reply]
Ubeja Vontell 10:50 AM 09-10-2019
Originally Posted by RockChalk:
Well they've made two Jack Reacher films so far. First one cost $60m and it made $218m. Second one cost anywhere from $60-96m (depending on who you believe) and it made $162m.

So yes, Tom Cruise can sell the character. If they had cast Dave Bautista back in 2012, nobody would have given a shit and a second movie would have never been made.

I seriously doubt most people know who Jack Reacher is. To those of us into the books (I own all of them) having Tom Cruise play the monstrous Jack Reacher was ridiculous.

Have Cruise play Thor, Conan, it would be the same thing.

No Cruise can't sell the character, IF you know who the character is. Bautista would have been perfect.

The physical presense of Reacher is a huge part of the story. Without that going on it's not a Jack Reacher story.
[Reply]
RockChalk 11:33 AM 09-10-2019
I seriously doubt most people know who Jack Reacher is. To those of us into the books (I own all of them) having Tom Cruise play the monstrous Jack Reacher was ridiculous.

Have Cruise play Thor, Conan, it would be the same thing.

No Cruise can't sell the character, IF you know who the character is. Bautista would have been perfect.

The physical presense of Reacher is a huge part of the story. Without that going on it's not a Jack Reacher story.
Cool. Stick to the books then, because you are the type of reader which movie versions will never be correct to you. Avid readers often imagine actors playing the roles as they read through books, making their judgment as to who should play them in movie versions biased. As you've read through the Jack Reacher series, you already envisioned his character as being played by Bautista. There's nothing wrong with that, but in the Year 2012, I'm telling you that very few people would have traveled to a theater to watch Bautista in a Jack Reacher movie.

And you aren't even considering that it's quite unlikely the movie gets green-lit by a studio unless Cruise or another big name is attached. In 2011-12, Bautista was only known as being an on/off again wrestler.
[Reply]
Ubeja Vontell 12:00 PM 09-10-2019
Cool. Stick to the books then, because you are the type of reader which movie versions will never be correct to you. Avid readers often imagine actors playing the roles as they read through books, making their judgment as to who should play them in movie versions biased. As you've read through the Jack Reacher series, you already envisioned his character as being played by Bautista. There's nothing wrong with that, but in the Year 2012, I'm telling you that very few people would have traveled to a theater to watch Bautista in a Jack Reacher movie.

And you aren't even considering that it's quite unlikely the movie gets green-lit by a studio unless Cruise or another big name is attached. In 2011-12, Bautista was only known as being an on/off again wrestler.
I'm a big fan of Robert E. Hiowards CONAN, also own all those books. When it came to the movies, they nailed it. Jack Reacher just as big as Conan, imagine Cruise as CONAN.

I never thought of anyone playing Reacher in a movie until I saw Cruise, which was actually comical.

You never get very far in any of the novels before you read something about the size of Reacher, it is a constant in all the stories, very important you get....big bad ass here.

Think of a Batman movie without all his gadgets and toys. Same thing.

Long after the movies then I thought how Bautista would have been a perfect fit.
[Reply]
RockChalk 12:23 PM 09-10-2019
There's good new for you, then. Cruise isn't Jack Reacher anymore. They are actually rebooting it into a TV series.
[Reply]
kc rush 12:39 PM 09-10-2019
I've read a lot of the Reacher books and was pissed that Cruise was playing him. Cruise owned the rights, so I guess he gets to cast himself.

I always pictured Adam Baldwin when reading the books.
[Reply]
Ubeja Vontell 12:51 PM 09-10-2019
Originally Posted by kc rush:
I've read a lot of the Reacher books and was pissed that Cruise was playing him. Cruise owned the rights, so I guess he gets to cast himself.

I always pictured Adam Baldwin when reading the books.
Every Reacher fan I have talked to feels like we do, as you know the size of Reacher a big part of the stories. Without that size thing going on, it's not really a Jack Reacher story.

Adam Baldwin?
[Reply]
kc rush 12:59 PM 09-10-2019
Every Reacher fan I have talked to feels like we do, as you know the size of Reacher a big part of the stories. Without that size thing going on, it's not really a Jack Reacher story.

Adam Baldwin?
Probably too old to play Reacher now. He was in Full Metal Jacket, Firefly, Chuck and The Last Ship.

[Reply]
BigRichard 02:26 PM 09-10-2019
I always pictured The Rock as Jack Reacher. Thought he would fit the part to a T.
[Reply]
Hydrae 03:03 PM 09-10-2019
Adam Baldwin would be a very good choice for Reacher.

I completely agree with the OP in that I love the Reacher books and was shocked when I heard Cruise was going to play the main character. For this very reason I have not seen either of the movies and probably won't.

I will disagree with using Bautista in the role though. Too jacked. Reacher is a big man but nothing makes him sound like a body builder type. Liam Neeson would be a great fit!
[Reply]
Hydrae 03:03 PM 09-10-2019
There's good new for you, then. Cruise isn't Jack Reacher anymore. They are actually rebooting it into a TV series.
Ah, something to look forward too then. I will have to look for that when it comes out.

EDIT: I looked and see that it will be an Amazon Prime show. Then I saw something about Bosch. I had now idea that existed. I just finished the latest Connelly Harry (Hieronymus) Bosch book. Anyone know if this show is any good before I check it out?
[Reply]
Ubeja Vontell 04:57 PM 09-10-2019
Originally Posted by kc rush:
Probably too old to play Reacher now. He was in Full Metal Jacket, Firefly, Chuck and The Last Ship.

I can see that, didn't know his name, he's big enought.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 12
1 234511 > Last »
Up