ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Media Center>GameStop business model is dying
007 03:38 PM 06-14-2019
https://comicbook.com/gaming/2019/06...-lowest-point/

Starting to wonder if I should use the rest of my gift cards. Was planning to use them when ps5 dropped.
[Reply]
Frazod 05:54 PM 06-14-2019
Yeah, they're going the way of Blockbuster. Can't remember the last time I visited one. It's been years.
[Reply]
Fishpicker 05:57 PM 06-14-2019
I havent bought any games or consoles from them in a decade. but I've bought tshirts and ballcaps. they have some cool game-related stuff other than games.
[Reply]
Dayze 06:20 PM 06-14-2019
I buy used games there a few times a year.
[Reply]
Bump 06:29 PM 06-14-2019
It's not like they don't deserve it. Can't adapt, go out of business.

They had some of the worst customer service the last time I went to one. Plus they were always pushing something to sign up for, I can't remember what it was but it was some program you pay to get into or some shit.
[Reply]
kcxiv 07:22 PM 06-14-2019
i just buy digital now, fuck copies. Its easier to just hit download!~
[Reply]
007 07:26 PM 06-14-2019
Originally Posted by Bump:
It's not like they don't deserve it. Can't adapt, go out of business.

They had some of the worst customer service the last time I went to one. Plus they were always pushing something to sign up for, I can't remember what it was but it was some program you pay to get into or some shit.
Yeah, the only reason I ever go there is to purchase consoles. The reward site I use for surveys, gives me GameStop gift cards in return. If it wasn't for that, I would never go there. My main worry is them going out of business before I can spend them on a new console. I'm waiting for ps5 right now.

Hopefully there will be plenty of warning if it comes to that.
[Reply]
Frazod 08:02 PM 06-14-2019
Originally Posted by kcxiv:
i just buy digital now, fuck copies. Its easier to just hit download!~
Yep. I only game on my PC.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 01:11 PM 06-15-2019
It's really impressive that they're still turning a profit, but no I don't think they're dying yet.

Once publishers stop trying to charge full price for a digital game and manufacturers remove optical drives, it'll be all over in short order.
[Reply]
Bowser 01:16 PM 06-15-2019
Hey Colton, my copy of Super Blood Hockey that I've played exactly twice really IS worth more than 2 bucks, you dick. Yeah, go get your fucking manager. I'll be right here.
[Reply]
vailpass 01:57 PM 06-15-2019
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
It's really impressive that they're still turning a profit, but no I don't think they're dying yet.

Once publishers stop trying to charge full price for a digital game and manufacturers remove optical drives, it'll be all over in short order.
Why would they stop charging full price for digital?
[Reply]
Bump 04:44 PM 06-15-2019
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Well it has to cost something to mass produce the discs and the covers and ship them to stores. But I don't really care about that. I liked buying digital when there was no tax, now my state decided they want to tax it now. I still buy digital but I am just very very selective about which games I purchase now.
[Reply]
Indian Chief 08:33 PM 06-15-2019
Originally Posted by Fishpicker:
I havent bought any games or consoles from them in a decade. but I've bought tshirts and ballcaps. they have some cool game-related stuff other than games.
Did they buy Think Geek? I thought I heard that a while back.

Also, to the OP, the Gamestop by me just closed a few weeks ago. I did a double take as I walked by, almost not even realizing it since I almost never go in.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 01:10 AM 06-17-2019
Originally Posted by vailpass:
Because they don't have to deal with shipping costs, disc printing and giving a cut of every single sale to the retailer.

Originally Posted by Indian Chief:
Did they buy Think Geek? I thought I heard that a while back.

Also, to the OP, the Gamestop by me just closed a few weeks ago. I did a double take as I walked by, almost not even realizing it since I almost never go in.
Years ago. They take half of whatever initial allotment they are promised and bundle it was dumb shit for stupid prices, and list it on Think Geek.
[Reply]
kysirsoze 01:20 AM 06-17-2019
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
Because they don't have to deal with shipping costs, disc printing and giving a cut of every single sale to the retailer.
These are reasons why they SHOULD. Doesn't mean they will. They're already putting the middle man out of business with convenience. If people are willing to keep paying $70+ they will keep charging it. No reason to cut the price.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up