ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2146 of 3903
« First < 1146164620462096213621422143214421452146 214721482149215021562196224626463146 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Lzen 01:10 PM 05-21-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Since you seem to be here for actual discussion, can you help me understand why masks have become a left/right issue? I honestly don't understand it. Is it just a feeling like people shouldn't have to follow government regulations broadly? Lack of trust in science? Or is there something more to it that I'm missing?
As far as left/right, I have no idea. Perhaps people on the left are more willing to accept everything the govt tells them even if it's wrong? And perhaps the right has become a lot more distrustful (whether justified or not) of the govt that they are almost to a point of not believing much of anything. We have become a lot more polarized these days, for sure. But I don't believe it's quite as easily boxed as a simple left/right issue.

For me, personally, at first, I didn't think the mask was necessary and probably didn't do much. But I have always been aware of the asymptomatic spread and even questioned some of my friends (not necessarly all right) on social media. But reading about it has convinced me that I should probably wear one if, for nothing else then simply to protect others if I am carrying it.

And, if you're curious, as far as political leanings, I consider myself a right leaning Libertarian.
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 01:11 PM 05-21-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
I've noticed not a single one of you has answered my question.

How long do you intend to wear masks? It's a simple question.
FFS.

I have no symptoms and wear it everywhere (inside) now. I'll do so until public health experts deem that it's no longer necessary.

[Reply]
dirk digler 01:11 PM 05-21-2020

Daface answered you and I 100% agree with him. I will wear it until there is a vaccine or until the virus is less threatening or gone.
[Reply]
eDave 01:12 PM 05-21-2020
Since you seem to be here for actual discussion, can you help me understand why masks have become a left/right issue? I honestly don't understand it. Is it just a feeling like people shouldn't have to follow government regulations broadly? Lack of trust in science? Or is there something more to it that I'm missing?
All the contrarian assholes have clustered together on one particular side.
[Reply]
Lzen 01:12 PM 05-21-2020
One other point on the left/right thing. I think a lot of this polarization has occurred from the impeachment proceedings and all that came with it. Sure, it started before that but I feel that really caused a lot of digging in, so to speak. Just my .02 cents. Take if for what it's worth.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 01:12 PM 05-21-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
It will protect you from lots of things sir, like regular colds and that homeless guy that won't stop jerking off on the train.
Yep. Looks kind of cool too. I like it.
[Reply]
jd1020 01:12 PM 05-21-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
Tighten up the fit of the top of the mask and wash your lenses with warm, soapy water.
I've pinched the top of the mask to the point where my nose hurts and they still fog up. The only thing that I've noticed that helped with the fog was wearing my glasses to where they are practically falling off my face but then my eyes arent centered in the lense and its just a headache to see through. I haven't washed them with soapy water, though. If it ever gets to the point where I'm getting screamed at for not wearing one I'll give it a shot but I'm not to worried about it right now. It's a requirement in Illinois if you cant maintain social distancing but I'm able to more than maintain the distance at the times I go shopping.
[Reply]
lewdog 01:13 PM 05-21-2020
You didn't answer my question. Perhaps you should start there with yourself before you start with other people?
Until there’s a vaccine and I no longer have a high chance of spreading this virus, especially working in healthcare. You should thank me.
[Reply]
Mecca 01:13 PM 05-21-2020
Originally Posted by Lzen:
One other point on the left/right thing. I think a lot of this polarization has occurred from the impeachment proceedings and all that came with it. Sure, it started before that but I feel that really caused a lot of digging in, so to speak. Just my .02 cents. Take if for what it's worth.
People have been dug in for quite awhile, identity politics causes that, its now treated like sports teams when it really shouldn't be.
[Reply]
Lzen 01:14 PM 05-21-2020
Originally Posted by jd1020:
I have this side effect where the second I put on a mask my glasses instantly fog up and I cant see shit with them on and I cant see shit with them off so I choose not to wear one. I also realize that its an issue to a lot of people so I do all of my store shopping just before closing when there's maybe like 5 people in the store and the only checkout isles open are the self checkout and I have yet to get stopped for not wearing one.
Yeah, that's an issue for me but, thankfully, I only need reading glasses at this point in my life. I find that I can press on the top of the mask above my nose and it prevents the air from escaping there and fogging my reading glasses.
[Reply]
dirk digler 01:14 PM 05-21-2020
I pre-ordered some Chiefs masks the other day from Fanatics so I can look even cooler

[Reply]
DaFace 01:14 PM 05-21-2020
Originally Posted by Lzen:
As far as left/right, I have no idea. Perhaps people on the left are more willing to accept everything the govt tells them even if it's wrong? And perhaps the right has become a lot more distrustful (whether justified or not) of the govt that they are almost to a point of not believing much of anything. We have become a lot more polarized these days, for sure. But I don't believe it's quite as easily boxed as a simple left/right issue.

For me, personally, at first, I didn't think the mask was necessary and probably didn't do much. But I have always been aware of the asymptomatic spread and even questioned some of my friends (not necessarly all right) on social media. But reading about it has convinced me that I should probably wear one if, for nothing else then simply to protect others if I am carrying it.

And, if you're curious, as far as political leanings, I consider myself a right leaning Libertarian.
Gotcha. The libertarian angle I get. Certainly the "we're all in this together" mentality is antithetical to that.

For the record, I don't personally blame anyone for not necessarily trusting every bit of advice out there. We still know very, very little about this damn disease, and I'm confident that we'll look back years from now and laugh at some of the stupid things we believed. All any of us can do is go on the most reliable information we have at any given point, and it may change. I even get why that erodes trust. It sucks, but it is what it is.
[Reply]
jdubya 01:16 PM 05-21-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Until there’s a vaccine and I no longer have a high chance of spreading this virus, especially working in healthcare. You should thank me.
do you work in the hospital or out in the field? Retired FF/Paramedic myself
[Reply]
dirk digler 01:16 PM 05-21-2020

Also since you work in healthcare I bet your employer makes you wear one correct? I am sure they will continue that practice until a viable vaccine is available at least.
[Reply]
petegz28 01:16 PM 05-21-2020
Originally Posted by Pants:
pete, all jokes aside. Do you think there's a CHANCE masks may offer SOME sort of protection to the public? Or do you FIRMLY believe wearing a mask is literally the same as not wearing one when it comes to SARS 2?
I think it's like anything else in life. It's a gray area. If you have symptoms wear a mask. I have seen and heard enough that if you are in close proximity with someone for any length of time the mask is not doing anyone any good. And that was clearly stated in the article I posted that no one read. The mask buys you a bit of extra time but in Da Face's idiotic hypo, the mask isn't going to protect you from spreading it.

See people keep saying "the mask is to protect others from you". Okay well that means then what, we are going to perpetually wear masks now because we might have something? When does that end?

People want to say it's selfish not to wear a mask and those same people were out walking around with the cold and flu symptoms before all this and not giving a flying fuck. So ...as I said do you plan on always wearing a mask from this day forward? Or when do you decide that if you don't have symptoms you aren't going to wear a mask?

Me personally? I have been shut in for 2 months. Never had any symptoms. Maybe I was asymptomatic? Am I perpetually asymptomatic? Am I to wear a mask now every time I go outside for a walk because I might walk by someone who might have it even though the odds of me getting it from that are damn near 0?

Sorry if I think that a certain amount of rationality has been thrown out the window with a lot of this.
[Reply]
Page 2146 of 3903
« First < 1146164620462096213621422143214421452146 214721482149215021562196224626463146 > Last »
Up