ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3543 of 3903
« First < 2543304334433493353335393540354135423543 3544354535463547355335933643 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
TLO 08:12 AM 07-05-2021
This may have been posted before. But still

Latest data on breakthrough infections out of the CDC, out of 154,000,000 fully vaccinated individuals in the U.S.:

3187 COVID-19 related hospitalizations (0.002%)

656 COVID-19 related deaths (0.0004%)

— Mac n’ Chise ������ (@sailorrooscout) July 3, 2021

[Reply]
O.city 08:57 AM 07-05-2021
Originally Posted by TLO:
Lots of studies. Lots of different findings.

However they all seem to agree that the shot prevents severe illness at a very high rare.
The new studies out of Canada show it’s still high efficacy
[Reply]
O.city 08:59 AM 07-05-2021
I’m wondering if the Israeli data is against “any” infection vs against symptomatic infection. Which, if that’s the case, it would be essentially the same as against alpha
[Reply]
tk13 01:47 PM 07-05-2021

115 COVID+ @MercySGF. Running almost 50 vents now. We are expanding to 2nd COVID ICU and a 2nd step down. Physicians, nurses and respiratory therapists are tired. Heck everyone is tired. Travel RN’s coming this week. Physician support being arranged. If you’re a RT, call us.

— Erik Frederick (@CAOMercySGF) July 5, 2021

[Reply]
O.city 01:52 PM 07-05-2021
Yeah, our area. Not ideal.

Granted, only 25 of those vents are for Covid, it's still a bad situation.
[Reply]
Rain Man 02:36 PM 07-05-2021
Lots of studies. Lots of different findings.

However they all seem to agree that the shot prevents severe illness at a very high rare.

And that's the key. But it'll still annoy me if I get it when I travel to Missouri just because a bunch of yahoos are afraid of needles.
[Reply]
TLO 03:45 PM 07-05-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
I’m wondering if the Israeli data is against “any” infection vs against symptomatic infection. Which, if that’s the case, it would be essentially the same as against alpha
I still can't actually find the data. But websites are picking it up and making some outrageous headlines. This has a little more info.

COVID Vaccine Effectiveness Drops to 64% in Israel, Health Ministry Says; Experts Differ
The ministry says, however, that the COVID vaccine is 93 percent effective in preventing hospitalizations and severe symptoms

Ido Efrati
Jul. 5, 2021

The Pfizer-BioNTech coronavirus vaccine has dropped to 64 percent effectiveness in preventing infection in Israel as the delta variant continues to spread across the country, the Health Ministry said on Monday.

According to Israeli data published in March, two weeks after the vaccine was given, it had 99 percent efficacy in preventing symptomatic COVID-19 and 91.2 percent in preventing infection.

The ministry added that the vaccine is 93 percent effective in preventing hospitalizations and severe symptoms.

The ministry refrained from recommending administering a third dose of the vaccine at this stage. It, however, called on all those who came into contact with a confirmed COVID-19 carrier, including vaccinated ones, to get tested for the virus.

The data was presented on Sunday by members of the Health Ministry's epidemiology team. However, experts have expressed doubt regarding the analysis of infection rates in Israel in recent weeks and the ministry's epidemiology team has also questioned it.

Nevertheless, health sources believe that the inoculation's efficacy against the delta variant is much lower than initially presumed.

The models used by the Health Ministry have been called into question by health professionals.

"There are enormous methodological challenges in properly assessing the efficacy of the vaccine from local outbreaks," one health expert told Haaretz.

Prof. Ran Balicer, the chief of the professional coronavirus cabinet which advises the Israel's coronavirus cabinet, added that it is very difficult to gauge vaccine efficacy when COVID tests are performed selectively.

"This is fundamentally different from the evaluation that came from the U.K.," another expert stated.

The Health Ministry's model was built on the assumption that the vaccine is 80 percent effective against the delta variant, as opposed to 90 percent against the alpha variant hailing from Britain.

The main research findings until now, including those by British health authorities published in the medical journal Lancet, show that two weeks after the second dose is administered, the Pfizer-BioNTech coronavirus vaccine is 88 percent effective against the delta variant. That is only slightly less than the 93 percent for the alpha variant.

The delta variant, however, is considered to be one and a half times more contagious than the alpha, and twice as infectious as the original version of the virus.
[Reply]
TLO 08:52 AM 07-06-2021
Did you ever see anything on the data from Israel?
[Reply]
NotDonger 09:22 AM 07-06-2021
COVID-19 cases were up in nearly half of U.S. states, a USA TODAY Network analysis of Johns Hopkins University data shows.

Alaska and Arkansas more than doubled cases in just the last week. South Carolina and Kansas are up more than 50%.

In Missouri, the number of hospitalized COVID-19 patients jumped by nearly 30% over the Fourth of July weekend in a hard-hit area where immunization rates are low, leading to a temporary ventilator shortage and a public call for help from respiratory therapists.

The delta variant, first identified in India, is spreading rapidly throughout the state, straining hospitals in Springfield and raising fresh fears that the situation could soon grow worse as holiday gatherings seed fresh cases. Missouri leads the nation with the most new cases per capita in the past 14 days; 39.4% of residents there are fully vaccinated.

COVID-19 cases in Mississippi increased by almost 15% in June, and with Mississippi's fully vaccinated rate of 31% – the lowest rate in the nation – top disease expert Anthony Fauci said he would wear a mask while in the state.

“I might want to go the extra mile to be cautious enough to be sure that I get the extra added layer of protection, even though the vaccines themselves are highly effective,” Fauci told Chuck Todd on NBC's "Meet the Press."

The recent increase in COVID-19-related hospitalizations in the state has been attributed to the rise to the delta variant's spread. About 95% of those hospitalizations have been in unvaccinated Mississippians, officials said.

"It feels very reminiscent of where we were in an early part of the pandemic," State Epidemiologist Paul Byers said during a June 29 press conference. "It feels like we're in the same situation now with the delta variant."
[Reply]
TLO 09:31 AM 07-06-2021

Speaking to colleagues in Israel, real skepticism about 64% number

Best data still suggest mRNA vaccines offer high degree of protection against infection

And superb protection against severe illness

Lets await more data but as of now

If you're vaccinated, I wouldn't worry https://t.co/7g2bPUuclW

— Ashish K. Jha, MD, MPH (@ashishkjha) July 5, 2021

[Reply]
NotDonger 09:36 AM 07-06-2021
Even if the data are accurate, 64% is still relatively very good. The best flu vaccine efficacy I've ever seen was 60% Some years, it's in the 10 to 20% range.
[Reply]
O.city 09:42 AM 07-06-2021
Did you ever see anything on the data from Israel?

You may have seen that the Israeli MoH claims that Pfizer vaccine efficacy has dropped to 64% in Israel, concurrent with the rise of the Delta variant.
The MoH has now published more details on the methodology. Briefly: negative binomial regression controlling for week and age.

— Uri Shalit (@ShalitUri) July 6, 2021

This is a pretty good thread on it.

Basically, as i read it, it's not really something to worry about.
[Reply]
O.city 02:43 PM 07-06-2021

Singapore now showing 100% of vaccinated cases are mild/asymptomatic...while 10% unvaccinated require oxygen and 0.7% died. pic.twitter.com/qX8Voc61bw

— Juli798686 (@julietast2) July 6, 2021

[Reply]
TLO 03:46 PM 07-06-2021
Do we have any reason to doubt info coming out of Singapore?
[Reply]
TLO 04:41 PM 07-06-2021

Within 3 days we got data from Canada about Pfizer vs Delta, based on millions of people, showing NO decrease in efficacy, in line UK (also millions). Then we have a small Israel study, based on ~300 people, which shows drop in efficacy. Which one are the news outlets reporting?

— Marco Trizzino (@marcotrizzino) July 6, 2021

[Reply]
Page 3543 of 3903
« First < 2543304334433493353335393540354135423543 3544354535463547355335933643 > Last »
Up