Page 167 of 298
« First < 67117157163164165166167 168169170171177217267 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Fire Bob Sutton
petegz28 10:12 PM 10-19-2017
That is all.
[Reply]
The Franchise 01:00 PM 12-11-2018
Originally Posted by O.city:
Once I heard jones say he wanted to lead the league in sacks, you kind of knew what was coming.

When I look at the players they've brought in the last year or so, I really think they're gonna transition away from the 34. I just can't imagine they've done this bad of a job at it.
Where does everyone go though? KPass and Speaks going to DE? Tag Ford and trade him? Or just let him walk? I don't see Ford having much success with his hand in the dirt and he really isn't a fit at OLB in a 4-3 either.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:04 PM 12-11-2018
Originally Posted by The Pest:
Where does everyone go though? KPass and Speaks going to DE? Tag Ford and trade him? Or just let him walk? I don't see Ford having much success with his hand in the dirt and he really isn't a fit at OLB in a 4-3 either.
I think Ford would make a nice Will in a 4-3.
[Reply]
JakeF 01:04 PM 12-11-2018
Originally Posted by RunKC:
You think Sutton hasn’t tried using different concepts, coverages and players?
I'm sure that Sutton has input about which players to keep. Why does he keep these players if they are not NFL-level players?

If Sutton and all the other defensive coaches are just victims of crappy players then why do they keep the same players year after year?
[Reply]
The Franchise 01:05 PM 12-11-2018
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I think Ford would make a nice Will in a 4-3.
Are you putting Houston's hand in the dirt?
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 01:07 PM 12-11-2018
Originally Posted by JakeF:
I'm sure that Sutton has input about which players to keep. Why does he keep these players if they are not NFL-level players?

If Sutton and all the other defensive coaches are just victims of crappy players then why do they keep the same players year after year?
There is this thing called Salary Cap/Dead Money...:-)
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:10 PM 12-11-2018
Are you putting Houston's hand in the dirt?
Yes.

As he's gotten older he's gotten slower but his power is still top shelf and his technique is fantastic. He has the length to do the job and the intelligence to make the transition.

And think of the zone blitz possibilities. You can put him into a drop zone and he'd be incredibly comfortable in space. You do that a few times and it QBs aren't going to know which way is up. Especially when you have the ability to loop someone like Ford over top of him.

I think he's an outstanding long-term fit as a 4-3 DE.
[Reply]
JakeF 01:12 PM 12-11-2018
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Of course not, he's an idiot. LOL
Oh, shut up Snarkasaurus Rex

Sutton has been here for years and we continue to have the same issues. Every year the defense is a scrambled mess that hangs on for dear life. Is that because Andy Reid doesn't give a shit about the defense and largely ignores it? Possibly. I think Hunt kept the wrong guy anyway. Hunt has made the decision and Reid is here for good.

We need a defensive coordinator good enough to run that side of the ball all by himself. Somebody strong enough to stand up and tell Andy to keep his son on the offensive side of the ball if he really wants him. Sutton has always been slow to adjust, lacking imagination and not aggressive enough.

You think it would be hilarious for us to get stuck with a DC worse than Sutton?? Nice.
[Reply]
The Franchise 01:12 PM 12-11-2018
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Yes.

As he's gotten older he's gotten slower but his power is still top shelf and his technique is fantastic. He has the length to do the job and the intelligence to make the transition.

And think of the zone blitz possibilities. You can put him into a drop zone and he'd be incredibly comfortable in space. You do that a few times and it QBs aren't going to know which way is up. Especially when you have the ability to loop someone like Ford over top of him.

I think he's an outstanding long-term fit as a 4-3 DE.
Well we can only hope that Veach's plan has been to switch to the 4-3. It's going to cause us to overpay Ford though because 3-4 OLBs get paid way more than 4-3 OLBs.
[Reply]
The Franchise 01:13 PM 12-11-2018
Houston - Nnadi - Jones - Speaks

DOD - Hitchens - Ford

That's not a horrible front seven IMO.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 01:16 PM 12-11-2018
Why not just use Ford as the DE or cut bait with him at that point?
[Reply]
O.city 01:18 PM 12-11-2018
Kpass would kick inside or play DE. He's better suited for a 43 anyway.

I'd do the same with Speaks.

Tag and trade Ford or just let him walk and put Houston at DE.

I don't think Ford would be a terrible fit in the 43 at OLB but I see DJ has already said that
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:19 PM 12-11-2018
Originally Posted by O.city:
Whats the point of this argument then? Bob is put in charge of the defense, Andy isn't a defensive coach.

What would you have him be doing?
I don't know, maybe evaluating Sutton and seeing for himself what the issues are?

How is he going to adequately evaluate Sutton in the offseason? You know Andy Reid, he isn't just going to fire him.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:19 PM 12-11-2018
Houston - Nnadi - Jones - Speaks

DOD - Hitchens - Ford

That's not a horrible front seven IMO.
That's a fantastic front 7, IMO.

DoD is a born 'modern Sam' and Hitchens can get back to a familiar 4-3 MLB role. Ford will be overpaid for a year, yes. But I also think you consider a tag/trade for draft compensation.

K-Pass could also find some viability as a DE in that system. Hell, he might be interesting as an under-tackle there but ultimately I think it'll just be too easy to get under his pads.

There is a damn viable 4-3 conversion to be made here. I just think they got caught flat-footed by A) how immediately explosive this offense was and B) the shocking incompetence of Ragland/Hitchens. When they got into this season they expected these rough edges to round off and they just didn't.

If they're honest with themselves they'll make that 4-3 switch in the offseason. They spend a ton of time in 4 man sets anyway due to their sub-packages, might as well steer into the skid.
[Reply]
O.city 01:20 PM 12-11-2018
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I don't know, maybe evaluating Sutton and seeing for himself what the issues are?

How is he going to adequately evaluate Sutton in the offseason? You know Andy Reid, he isn't just going to fire him.
Watch the coaches tape and see the results there?

I really think this season kind of caught them off guard. I think they felt it was going to be a bit of a transition year and they didn't plan on their QB having an MVP type year.
[Reply]
JakeF 01:20 PM 12-11-2018
Andy Reid has chosen to spend money on the offensive side of the ball. He's said 'screw the defense, I want to play with my toys on offense'.

So our defense is lacking but that still doesn't excuse many of our defensive coaching staff's failures.
[Reply]
Page 167 of 298
« First < 67117157163164165166167 168169170171177217267 > Last »
Up