« First < 60110150156157158159160 161162163164170210260 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Fire Bob Sutton
petegz28 10:12 PM 10-19-2017
That is all.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 12:14 PM 12-10-2018
Originally Posted by O.city:
Murray played like 2 snaps yesterday
Sorenson and Parker played 71. Murray played 8. Lucas played 0.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:18 PM 12-10-2018
Murray played when they went heavy Nickel and moved Sorensen down into the box. I think it was mostly on the 3rd and short plays amd mostly in the 2nd half.

They moved parker down into the box on several occasions but it was hard to tell since he refused to engage blockers and just got himself shoved backwards.
[Reply]
petegz28 12:23 PM 12-10-2018
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Murray didn't play yesterday.
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Murray played when they went heavy Nickel and moved Sorensen down into the box. I think it was mostly on the 3rd and short plays amd mostly in the 2nd half.

They moved parker down into the box on several occasions but it was hard to tell since he refused to engage blockers and just got himself shoved backwards.
Everyone straight now?? :-)
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 12:26 PM 12-10-2018
Will say that Veach fucked Sutton over in the worst way by failing to get him a competent S. Sucks that the Thomas deal didn't work out but he had a 2nd chance at the trade deadline and just didn't pull the trigger.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:26 PM 12-10-2018
Originally Posted by petegz28:
They have upside though. They will learn. Parker and Sorenson have already learned.

I'll take the potential over the suck any day.
Do they?

Thousands of kids get drafted into the NFL and never turn into anything. It's ENTIRELY possible they just freaking suck and that's all there is to it.

This is simply a case of you wanting change for the sake of change. You don't know that they have potential, you're assuming they have potential.

They also have the potential to lose a game like we saw yesterday with one big gaff.

It really doesn't matter at this point - this defense has a dozen holes, including Bob Sutton. Nothing is changing at this point until the offseason. We all better hope he retires because I could TOTALLY see Andy keeping him.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:27 PM 12-10-2018
Everyone straight now?? :-)
8 snaps is literally zero contribution. But let's split hairs.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:33 PM 12-10-2018
Several people in both chat and the GDT were saying we were in nickel.
I dont have the game recorded but I have Chiefs Rewind recorded. They showed 4 plays on that drive and they all had Hitchens and Ragland on the field.

I'm gonna put this one in the 'complicated scheme' category of people repeating other people who dont actually know what they're talking about.

I'd be surprised if there was a single nickel package play on that drive.

The way narratives run out of control here is hilarious.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:40 PM 12-10-2018
Do they?

Thousands of kids get drafted into the NFL and never turn into anything. It's ENTIRELY possible they just freaking suck and that's all there is to it.

This is simply a case of you wanting change for the sake of change. You don't know that they have potential, you're assuming they have potential.

They also have the potential to lose a game like we saw yesterday with one big gaff.

It really doesn't matter at this point - this defense has a dozen holes, including Bob Sutton. Nothing is changing at this point until the offseason. We all better hope he retires because I could TOTALLY see Andy keeping him.
Here's the difference - DoD and Lucas may well end up out of position. They may well simply screw up. But they have the speed needed to turn a mistake into a 7-8 yard screwup. They can close a gap and occasionally even snuff a play out by using athleticism to make up for inexperience. Lucas can stop a play short of the sticks by using his legs to make up for the false step and staying in a guys pocket. He won't always prevent the completion because he's not perfect, but he'll reduce the damage when he does screw up.

Parker and Ragland, OTOH, don't. And Parker in particular NEVER seems to be where he needs to be. Ragland was getting smoked to the edge and Sutton's response wasn't to bring DOD out there, it was to flatten out Houston and Ford to try to keep those edges sealed. It actually served to open up the interior on those read plays.

Jackson did a nice job of diagnosing our read keys on the edge and giving up the middle when needed. If we'd have had DoD out there, the need to flatten out the edges would've been reduced and we could've kept the splits on the interior tighter. It would've helped from getting smoked up the middle.

It's counter-intuitive, but Ragland actually made us WORSE up the middle because of how Sutton dealt with his lack of ability to get sideline to sideline.

The answer isn't to try to paper over those physical deficiencies - it's to get the damn guy off the field and add some speed. Let Lucas get the run that allows him to catch back up to people when he wastes a step. Let DoD get out there and present a credible edge threat.

Stop trying to make chicken salad from some of this chicken shit. It's just not working.
[Reply]
Direckshun 12:42 PM 12-10-2018
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Thank god. That is what I call accountability for Eric Murray.

No accountability, ever, it seems, for Ron Parker. But I'll take what I can get.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:43 PM 12-10-2018
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Here's the difference - DoD and Lucas may well end up out of position. They may well simply screw up. But they have the speed needed to turn a mistake into a 7-8 yard screwup. They can close a gap and occasionally even snuff a play out by using athleticism to make up for inexperience. Lucas can stop a play short of the sticks by using his legs to make up for the false step and staying in a guys pocket. He won't always prevent the completion because he's not perfect, but he'll reduce the damage when he does screw up.

Parker and Ragland, OTOH, don't. And Parker in particular NEVER seems to be where he needs to be. Ragland was getting smoked to the edge and Sutton's response wasn't to bring DOD out there, it was to flatten out Houston and Ford to try to keep those edges sealed. It actually served to open up the interior on those read plays.

Jackson did a nice job of diagnosing our read keys on the edge and giving up the middle when needed. If we'd have had DoD out there, the need to flatten out the edges would've been reduced and we could've kept the splits on the interior tighter. It would've helped from getting smoked up the middle.

It's counter-intuitive, but Ragland actually made us WORSE up the middle because of how Sutton dealt with his lack of ability to get sideline to sideline.

The answer isn't to try to paper over those physical deficiencies - it's to get the damn guy off the field and add some speed. Let Lucas get the run that allows him to catch back up to people when he wastes a step. Let DoD get out there and present a credible edge threat.

Stop trying to make chicken salad from some of this chicken shit. It's just not working.
I've seen DOD run right past that edge play several times this season. It's not about 7-8 yards. When he does that, he's literally out of the play and can't recover. With the safeties we have, that's a TD just waiting to happen.
[Reply]
MahiMike 12:43 PM 12-10-2018
It would be fun to sit in a room w/Sutton and break down some of his play calls.

"'Splain yourself here Bob'"
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 12:44 PM 12-10-2018
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
Thank god. That is what I call accountability for Eric Murray.

No accountability, ever, it seems, for Ron Parker. But I'll take what I can get.
Hopefully Berry changes that.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 12:48 PM 12-10-2018
Any buzz on Tardif or Watts lately?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:49 PM 12-10-2018
I've seen DOD run right past that edge play several times this season. It's not about 7-8 yards. When he does that, he's literally out of the play and can't recover. With the safeties we have, that's a TD just waiting to happen.
Is that better than Ragland being 3 steps short of the edge? One guy didn't make the play, the other guy can't make the play. Gimme the first guy and I'll hope he learns.

"Change for the sake of change" was warranted after the Raiders game. That performance was pretty inexcusable.

Side note -- just watched the Houston strip-sack again and it was a damn good call from Sutton. He sent Sorensen on a blitz and pulled the LT up. Jones jabbed towards the LG and so he took Jones leaving Houston with the ability to scrape up and get to Jackson. That was a playcall sack and the kind of thing that is conveniently ignored when we discuss Sutton.

Also of note - Ford was dropped back into coverage and Jackson looked right where Ford was standing. Jackson was clearly trying to roll a bit to get around Ford and open up the throwing lane because Ford was standing between him and the out route back at the sticks. It was a FANTASTIC play dialed up by Sutton.

The guy can call games, fellas.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 12:56 PM 12-10-2018
He also had a gimpy Hitchens cover Jared Cook 1 on 1. Sutton can design and call some absolutely amazing plays but he'll also go the complete opposite and do something that leaves you thinking "why?"
[Reply]
Page 160 of 298
« First < 60110150156157158159160 161162163164170210260 > Last »
Up