ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 70 of 172
« First < 20606667686970 7172737480120170 > Last »
Media Center>Better Call Saul
rico 11:01 PM 10-06-2013

As I am sure many of y'all already know, a spinoff of "Breaking Bad" titled "Better Call Saul" will be airing in 2014. This is going to be a prequel to Breaking Bad and will be based on the character of Saul Goodman from "Breaking Bad."

I, for one, will be watching. I'm sure the majority of all of you other "Breaking Bad" fans will be as well. Might as well get the discussion going sooner rather than later.

So... what are your hopes, expectations and/or concerns with the show? Here are some of mine:

Hopes: I hope to see Saul do his thing in the courtroom. I hope to see strong, unique supporting characters. I hope to see Breaking Bad foreshadowing. I hope he has an intriguing paralegal and/or assistant. I hope to see Breaking Bad characters such as Fring, Mike, etc...whoever. I hope the show kicks ass.

Expectations: I don't expect it to be as good as "Breaking Bad" (because nothing else is, really), but I expect it to be good since Vince Gilligan is writing. I somewhat expect it to have an even balance of comedy and drama...since Saul undeniably provides a substantial amount of comedic relief in "Breaking Bad." I expect to see "courtroom Saul." I expect the "Breaking Bad" references and character cameos to be less than what I hope. If it isn't even a fraction as good as "Breaking Bad," I expect it to be better than 95% of everything else on TV, since there is some shitty shit on TV these days.

Concerns: I'd be a liar if I were to say that I didn't think this show has potential of flopping and certainly failing to meet the presumed high expectations of the audience. Don't get me wrong, I think it will be good... but I think it COULD suck if not executed properly. My main concern is Saul ultimately proving himself to be a "little dab will do ya" type of character, which would lead to a show centered around his character not working out. I am hoping that the character of Saul will not be so over-used and constantly over the top, that he becomes annoying to me, thus ruining his character for me altogether... Not saying I think this will be how it goes down...just saying I think there is a CHANCE of this being the case, which prompts me to believe that a strong supporting cast is VITAL in terms of the amount of success/quality this show will accumulate. All in all, I don't think VG will steer us in an unfortunate direction though...I think they'll pull it off.

Thoughts?

DISCUS!!!!

[Reply]
Anyong Bluth 04:43 PM 04-20-2016
http://m.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watch...-gus-next-year

Just another reason why this show is B.O.B.!

The fact that they're not married to a rigid story arc, and let things progress organically, in part because of what they get from the actors, to guide the story as opposed to pigeonholing specific destination points = playing to your strengths while already having a talented group of creative writers, and top notch film production and editing crew.

The divergent stories of Jimmy and Mike actually work fantastic, imo.
2 people who cross paths in life, and don't automatically become married and entrenched in one another's lives is a lot more plausible. They have an established introduction to each other and brief history; but it doesn't magically cause everything and everyone in their life to fade into the background.

They seem to feel Kim has turned out to be another supporting character who has taken on a lot more gravitas than originally expected. Much like Jesse and Saul did in BB.

We already know that there's a juicy story, and one that includes a transformation, in Kim's background given her avoidance and evasive answer about her background other than saying she’s from a small town on the Nebraska / Kansas border, and at some point she made a choice to start anew for herself because she wanted more in life.

That doesn't sound at all like Walt or Jimmy. . .

It'd be crazy, but there's very much another character with spin-off potential.

BB was crime drama, and Saul is a completely different type of drama of its own. Kim from Nebraska has as much backstory and ability to work within a completely different genre as a stand-alone.

Of course it’s just me playing hypothetical, but from the interview you can very much tell that Rhea is the reason that Kim's character has been greatly expanded, no different than Bob or Aaron did for their characters.

Btw, I think the actor they cast for Nacho is outstanding. Based off BB, he could have easily been a throwaway character.
[Reply]
Buehler445 05:06 PM 04-20-2016
Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth:
http://m.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watch...-gus-next-year

Just another reason why this show is B.O.B.!

The fact that they're not married to a rigid story arc, and let things progress organically, in part because of what they get from the actors, to guide the story as opposed to pigeonholing specific destination points = playing to your strengths while already having a talented group of creative writers, and top notch film production and editing crew.

The divergent stories of Jimmy and Mike actually work fantastic, imo.
2 people who cross paths in life, and don't automatically become married and entrenched in one another's lives is a lot more plausible. They have an established introduction to each other and brief history; but it doesn't magically cause everything and everyone in their life to fade into the background.

They seem to feel Kim has turned out to be another supporting character who has taken on a lot more gravitas than originally expected. Much like Jesse and Saul did in BB.

We already know that there's a juicy story, and one that includes a transformation, in Kim's background given her avoidance and evasive answer about her background other than saying she’s from a small town on the Nebraska / Kansas border, and at some point she made a choice to start anew for herself because she wanted more in life.

That doesn't sound at all like Walt or Jimmy. . .

It'd be crazy, but there's very much another character with spin-off potential.

BB was crime drama, and Saul is a completely different type of drama of its own. Kim from Nebraska has as much backstory and ability to work within a completely different genre as a stand-alone.

Of course it’s just me playing hypothetical, but from the interview you can very much tell that Rhea is the reason that Kim's character has been greatly expanded, no different than Bob or Aaron did for their characters.

Btw, I think the actor they cast for Nacho is outstanding. Based off BB, he could have easily been a throwaway character.
Isn't the only reason she is from Nebraska, because that's where he ended up managing a Cinnebon in BB?
[Reply]
Buehler445 05:07 PM 04-20-2016
Overall though, I agree Bluth. Shit is fucking good.
[Reply]
Anyong Bluth 05:33 PM 04-20-2016
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Isn't the only reason she is from Nebraska, because that's where he ended up managing a Cinnebon in BB?
We don't know... just like we didn’t know Jimmy...

Saul is in Omaha, specifically, no? Not Kim's hometown, because she mentioned her graduating class was something like 32 people.

In Jimmy's mind, Nebraska may just equal somewhere you can go and start a new life- just like Kim left there and was able to put her past behind her and reinvent herself and create a new life. Sort of like Slippin Jimmy tried to leave Chicago to clean the slate in New Mexico. Except Chuck was the connection between his old Chicago life, and he was never going to let Jimmy put his past in the rear view mirror and remain burried.

Chuck's an absolutist, and his view of Jimmy will never change.
[Reply]
mdchiefsfan 05:36 PM 04-20-2016
Originally Posted by frankotank:
no matter WHO it ends up being that was honking Mikes horn (man that sounds wrong!)....it's gonna be just so NOT believable.
he's in the middle of nowhere....how the hell is someone gonna follow him unnoticed.
Maybe Gus was looking for some revenge himself and had a larger scope than Mike?

:-)

Do we know how he ends up in a wheelchair?
[Reply]
eDave 05:46 PM 04-20-2016
Originally Posted by mdchiefsfan:
Maybe Gus was looking for some revenge himself and had a larger scope than Mike?

I was expecting him to get shot in the spine right there.
[Reply]
Anyong Bluth 05:46 PM 04-20-2016

Shot in the spine, no? I can't recall for certain.
[Reply]
notorious 06:40 PM 04-20-2016
We should be safe assuming that Gus is going to be the guy behind Hector's permanent wheelchair trip.

I don't know "how" though.
[Reply]
siberian khatru 06:45 PM 04-20-2016
Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth:
Shot in the spine, no? I can't recall for certain.
Gomez in BB said it was a stroke
[Reply]
eDave 06:59 PM 04-20-2016
Originally Posted by siberian khatru:
He acts like he already had one.
[Reply]
Otter 08:43 PM 04-20-2016
Originally Posted by siberian khatru:
I don't think it's been clarified yet but this is from Breaking Bad Wiki.

http://breakingbad.wikia.com/wiki/He...o%22_Salamanca

Don Hector "Tio" Salamanca was a drug runner and the former right hand man and enforcer of Don Eladio Vuente. Hector was a high-ranking member of the Juárez Cartel, the patriach of the Salamanca family, and was feared among most in the South. He was the son of Abuelita, the uncle of Tuco, Marco and Leonel Salamanca, as well as the grandfather of Joaquin Salamanca.

Hector was rendered invalid possibly from a stroke or some form of motor neuron disease; such as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)/Lou Gehrig's disease. The reason why it is suspected that he suffered from a form of motor neuron disease is because in the flashback episodes featuring Hector Salamanca, it appears that he is beginning to show signs of muscular degeneration. He harbored a disgust for the DEA, and a specific dislike for Agent Hank Schrader. In his later life, he lived in a retirement home called Casa Tranquila, where he was visited frequently by Gustavo Fring. He was killed with Fring in the Casa Tranquilla explosion. He serves as a minor antagonist for seasons two, three and four. Since then, Hector has appeared on Better Call Saul, appearing as an antagonist for season two.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 09:45 PM 04-20-2016
Originally Posted by eDave:
He acts like he already had one.
[Reply]
Demonpenz 11:50 PM 04-20-2016
Hector's accent is way different I am assuming it is because he is from Columbia?
[Reply]
salame 10:15 AM 04-21-2016

if you watch the scene in the grocery where he has a meltdown after the truck robbery her gets all worked up and has to take a pill. I think someone just takes away his pills and lets him have a big one. My guess is Nacho.
[Reply]
frankotank 10:31 AM 04-21-2016
wow....I feel like such a dipshit!
of COURSE Hector had a stroke (or got a muscular disease). DUH!!!! and I was sitting there thinking Mike was gonna shoot him in the spine. NOPE! because that isn't why he's in a wheel chair.

I'll bet Mike NEVER shoots him!
[Reply]
Page 70 of 172
« First < 20606667686970 7172737480120170 > Last »
Up