ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1603 of 3903
« First < 603110315031553159315991600160116021603 160416051606160716131653170321032603 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
TLO 12:20 PM 04-23-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
It's why I'm watching Sweden closely. My only real hope that this thing might end early is that we might reach herd immunity faster than expected. I'm certainly not counting on it, but otherwise we have little hope but being in it until a vaccine is widely available.
It's really going to be interesting to see what happens once we start opening things back up.
[Reply]
O.city 12:22 PM 04-23-2020
It's why I'm watching Sweden closely. My only real hope that this thing might end early is that we might reach herd immunity faster than expected. I'm certainly not counting on it, but otherwise we have little hope but being in it until a vaccine is widely available.
At this point, I don't really see anything else being feasible.
[Reply]
Monticore 12:23 PM 04-23-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
By the time you get to the point where you're seeing this many cases, it's exploded way farther than you ever knew.

At this point, it's everywhere.
It doesn't really shed any light on whether the measures we took helped or not , is it still being spread easily even with the measures in place or is it so contagious that if we open up it will just go wild and hospitalizations deaths would skyrocket.
[Reply]
O.city 12:24 PM 04-23-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
It doesn't really shed any light on whether the measures we took helped or not , is it still being spread easily even with the measures in place or is it so contagious that if we open up it will just go wild and hospitalizations deaths would skyrocket.
Pretty much.

A slow opening where you closely monitor things is basically our best bet to figure out what works at this point I guess.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 12:26 PM 04-23-2020
So if 20% of NYC was infected two weeks ago or so you have to assume it’s even higher than that now. The question becomes if it took 4-6 weeks to get 20% how fast until it doubles and then doubles again. Right now it’s likely still growing quickly but eventually as the pool of potentials shrinks it will slow down.

But playing with the 20% infected number in comparison to known numbers you can see how different things might have been two weeks ago when the results are from.

The reported NYC cases are about 150k. The actual number based on a population of 9 million would be 1.8 million. 12 times the reported amount. So you have to ask why is it that so few are known? It implies that about only 8% of people infected get tested assumingely due to not very severe cases for most people. What does this do to the case death rate? It becomes 0.6% for NYC as opposed to the current 7.5%.

For the rest of the state let’s use 10% infected since it wasn’t as high as NYC. Rest of state is about 11 million population so that’s 1.1 million infected with about 100k cases. 11 times the reported amount. About 9% of cases reported. The death rate goes from 0.04% to 0.003% for the rest of state excluding NYC.
[Reply]
Marcellus 12:27 PM 04-23-2020
https://www.rts.ch/info/sciences-tec...-covid-19.html

Sweden has come to believe thats its likely kids are not transmitting the virus.

Originally Posted by :
It would be adults who infect children
According to some virologists, it seems that even when children are tested positive for the virus, their viral load, that is to say roughly the number of viruses circulating in their body, is often very low.

Which would explain why they are - still according to Daniel Koch - bad vectors of the disease. It seems that it is adults who infect children, not the other way around.

[Reply]
Monticore 12:30 PM 04-23-2020
Pretty much.

A slow opening where you closely monitor things is basically our best bet to figure out what works at this point I guess.
We can't tell when they developed antibodies before/after lock down either .

not sure what I should be rooting for super contagious =bad lowers CFR =good
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 12:30 PM 04-23-2020
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
Is there hard evidence at this point that the majority of jobs (or a large chunk) won't come back?
Yup.
[Reply]
O.city 12:31 PM 04-23-2020
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
So if 20% of NYC was infected two weeks ago or so you have to assume it’s even higher than that now. The question becomes if it took 4-6 weeks to get 20% how fast until it doubles and then doubles again. Right now it’s likely still growing quickly but eventually as the pool of potentials shrinks it will slow down.

But playing with the 20% infected number in comparison to known numbers you can see how different things might have been two weeks ago when the results are from.

The reported NYC cases are about 150k. The actual number based on a population of 9 million would be 1.8 million. 12 times the reported amount. So you have to ask why is it that so few are known? It implies that about only 8% of people infected get tested assumingely due to not very severe cases for most people. What does this do to the case death rate? It becomes 0.6% for NYC as opposed to the current 7.5%.

For the rest of the state let’s use 10% infected since it wasn’t as high as NYC. Rest of state is about 11 million population so that’s 1.1 million infected with about 100k cases. 11 times the reported amount. About 9% of cases reported. The death rate goes from 0.04% to 0.003% for the rest of state excluding NYC.
They wouldn't have been infected two weeks ago, they'd have likely recovered then. I don't remember the time it takes for antibodies to become prevalent though.
[Reply]
TLO 12:43 PM 04-23-2020
They wouldn't have been infected two weeks ago, they'd have likely recovered then. I don't remember the time it takes for antibodies to become prevalent though.
I think I read 7-10 days, though I'm not certain of that.
[Reply]
O.city 12:44 PM 04-23-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
We can't tell when they developed antibodies before/after lock down either .

not sure what I should be rooting for super contagious =bad lowers CFR =good
The more contagious, the more people needed to have/recover etc to get to herd immunity.
[Reply]
TLO 12:45 PM 04-23-2020
Missouri DHSS Numbers Yesterday:

Cases in Missouri: 6,137

Total Deaths: 208

Patients tested in Missouri (by all labs): approximately 59,266
As of 2:00 p.m. CT, April 22

Missouri numbers today:

Cases in Missouri: 6,321

Total Deaths: 218

Patients tested in Missouri (by all labs): approximately 59,266 (not yet updated for 4/23/20)
As of 2:00 p.m. CT, April 23
[Reply]
Bearcat 12:47 PM 04-23-2020
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
Yup.
:-)
By Russ Koesterich, CFA Feb 13, 2015, Last Updated on Feb 16, 2015
[Reply]
mr. tegu 12:49 PM 04-23-2020

Yeah your right that’s what I meant in the post. Not % of people infected but people who had been infected.
[Reply]
O.city 12:50 PM 04-23-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
I think I read 7-10 days, though I'm not certain of that.
If I remember right, it's IgM first, then IgG and starts around 5-7 days. I am way in the weeds on remembering this though.
[Reply]
Page 1603 of 3903
« First < 603110315031553159315991600160116021603 160416051606160716131653170321032603 > Last »
Up