ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 19
« First < 34567 89101117 > Last »
Media Center>Megadeth > Metallica
Lzen 11:18 AM 02-01-2014
Originally Posted by Reaper16:
Pantera is garbage. Somebody fix this thread.
Wow. For someone who brags about supposedly great taste music, you don't really have great taste in music.
[Reply]
Reaper16 11:39 AM 02-01-2014
Originally Posted by Gadzooks:
If you've "overlooked" Pantera they shouldn't be a problem. I've seen that you're the house music critic, but I don't get how you could call Pantera "garbage".
Is it because their not as obscure as Caninus, Anal Cunt or Napalm Death?
If Pantera were from Sweden would they get your approval?:-)
I don't only like obscure things. Besides, Pantera doesn't sound anything like those bands. What Pantera sounds like is Exhorder, whom Pantera totally ripped off.

I do like a handful of Pantera tracks (Cemetery Gates primarily.) I guess I can dig the whole Cowboys From Hell album, more or less. The others are just so boring. Like, their whole "groove metal" sound was always pretty tiresome even on an album I kinda like. I mean, compared to the riff quotient of a thrash or death metal band. Even black metal, with its emphasis on atmosphere, brings more riffs to the table than the average Pantera song does.

For those reasons, Pantera are underwhelming to me. Dimebag is a great guitar player (though he is certainly overrated and is sadly influential), but an incredibly overrated songwriter. The Vulgar Display of Power album makes me want to throw up. Out of sheer boredom.

Originally Posted by Lzen:
Wow. For someone who brags about supposedly great taste music, you don't really have great taste in music.
Go listen to John Petrucci try and fail for the thirtieth time to write a decent song. Be sure to report back.
[Reply]
Lzen 11:55 AM 02-01-2014
I don't only like obscure things. Besides, Pantera doesn't sound anything like those bands. What Pantera sounds like is Exhorder, whom Pantera totally ripped off.

I do like a handful of Pantera tracks (Cemetery Gates primarily.) I guess I can dig the whole Cowboys From Hell album, more or less. The others are just so boring. Like, their whole "groove metal" sound was always pretty tiresome even on an album I kinda like. I mean, compared to the riff quotient of a thrash or death metal band. Even black metal, with its emphasis on atmosphere, brings more riffs to the table than the average Pantera song does.

For those reasons, Pantera are underwhelming to me. Dimebag is a great guitar player (though he is certainly overrated and is sadly influential), but an incredibly overrated songwriter. The Vulgar Display of Power album makes me want to throw up. Out of sheer boredom.

Go listen to John Petrucci try and fail for the thirtieth time to write a decent song. Be sure to report back.
Your and idiot. :-)
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 03:51 AM 03-09-2014

Sounds to me like you simply don't appreciate the sludgy nature of their sound, and use that to call them 'garbage'.

I mean 'riff quotient'?

Damn, I bet you HATE rock and roll... what with them not noodling fast enough nor matching your riff quotient requirement. :-)
[Reply]
Reaper16 07:17 PM 03-10-2014
Originally Posted by WhiteWhale:
Sounds to me like you simply don't appreciate the sludgy nature of their sound, and use that to call them 'garbage'.

I mean 'riff quotient'?

Damn, I bet you HATE rock and roll... what with them not noodling fast enough nor matching your riff quotient requirement. :-)
On the first point, yes. You're right. I was always expressing that this was my tastes, my opinion, what works/doesn't work for me.

Noodling does not equal riffing. And I listen to a fair amount of rock. I don't expect metal when I listen to rock. When I listen to metal, well, I expect metal. In large part that means either great riffs, song structures, or atmosphere. Preferably all three. When it comes to thrash metal, that means bands like Heathen, Anacrusis, or Vektor. But you don't need all three. With thrash you just really need a good riff quotient. Listen to Dark Angel's album "Darkness Descends." It's got like 150+ riffs over the course of the album. That's an incredible riff quotient. The very opposite of what bores me.

[Reply]
Gadzooks 10:48 PM 01-31-2014
Everything is garbage from a certain perspective.
[Reply]
Reaper16 10:48 PM 01-31-2014
Originally Posted by Gadzooks:
Everything is garbage from a certain perspective.
In this case, the perspective is one overlooking Pantera.
[Reply]
Gadzooks 11:28 PM 01-31-2014
In this case, the perspective is one overlooking Pantera.
If you've "overlooked" Pantera they shouldn't be a problem. I've seen that you're the house music critic, but I don't get how you could call Pantera "garbage".
Is it because their not as obscure as Caninus, Anal Cunt or Napalm Death?
If Pantera were from Sweden would they get your approval?:-)
[Reply]
mdstu 01:26 PM 02-01-2014
I don't know if he was loaded or not, but he deserves his ass kicked for making me listen to that shit. I seriously would have went out to my car for a half hour if they would have let me back in.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:29 PM 02-01-2014
Originally Posted by mdstu:
I don't know if he was loaded or not, but he deserves his ass kicked for making me listen to that shit. I seriously would have went out to my car for a half hour if they would have let me back in.
He was a well-known heroin user during that time. I'm honestly not surprised.
[Reply]
mdstu 01:35 PM 02-01-2014
In his defense, if I was an 80's or 90's rock/metal star, I probably would have been an addict as well. It just looks like so much fun.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:38 PM 02-01-2014
Originally Posted by mdstu:
In his defense, if I was an 80's or 90's rock/metal star, I probably would have been an addict as well. It just looks like so much fun.
Well to take this full circle, Dave Mustaine said he started doing heroin specifically for that reason. He wanted to be a rock star and rock stars did heroin.
[Reply]
Dayze 02:20 AM 02-28-2014
Just listened to "Peace Sells But Who's Buying"

....further evidence

Mustaine go the the royal Metallica shaft
[Reply]
Pushead2 02:53 AM 02-28-2014
Originally Posted by Dayze:
Just listened to "Peace Sells But Who's Buying"

....further evidence

Mustaine go the the royal Metallica shaft
My biggest gripe with Mustaine is that he wouldn't let go of certain Metallica riffs he had a hand in.

I've said it before in this thread, when he wasn't thinking "Metallica" while writing, that's when Megadeth is better musically. Vocals are a whole other story.
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:32 AM 02-28-2014
Originally Posted by Pushead2:
My biggest gripe with Mustaine is that he wouldn't let go of certain Metallica riffs he had a hand in.

I've said it before in this thread, when he wasn't thinking "Metallica" while writing, that's when Megadeth is better musically. Vocals are a whole other story.
I like his vocals. Distinct and different.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 19
« First < 34567 89101117 > Last »
Up