ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 19
« First < 45678 910111218 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>If the Chiefs care about honor and decency, Tyreek Hill can’t be part of this team
Eleazar 09:58 PM 04-25-2019
If the Chiefs care about honor and decency, Tyreek Hill can’t be part of this team

BY VAHE GREGORIAN
April 25, 2019 10:31 PM,
Updated 20 minutes ago

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/sp...229705219.html

The instantly infamous audio clip of Tyreek Hill and Crystal Espinal that KCTV-5 aired on Thursday night stood for many things at once.

It was a lens onto a chilling side of Hill, whose response to being told their 3-year-old son is terrified of him was, “You need to be terrified of me, too, bitch.” It was an appalling glimpse at what several sources have told The Star is a toxic relationship.

And her disturbing reference to covering for him with authorities (“I rode for you,” as she put it) was a window into the sorts of obstacles to which Johnson County district attorney Steve Howe seemed to be alluding on Thursday. That’s when he said a crime had been committed when it came their son, who The Star reported had suffered a broken arm among other injuries, but suggested he couldn’t bring charges because the couple had conspired to stonewall a month-long investigation.

Perhaps most of all, the excerpt from a recording Espinal reportedly made while the couple was walking in the Dubai International Airport also was a moment of tangible clarity and, in fact, a favor to the Chiefs.

Unless they are morally bankrupt, it’s easy now.

If they care about what they stand for, if they care about the community, if they care about victims of abuse and their families who already had to be conflicted watching this previously convicted man cavort on the field, Hill can’t be part of this team.

It’s that simple: If they care about honor and decency, Hill can’t be part of this team.

Even after Howe’s extraordinary news conference, there was scant room for equivocation or rationalization about Hill unless they were bent on denial or creating smokescreens around the real issue.

Which they could well have been, given that Hill is their second-most dynamic offensive player behind Patrick Mahomes and arguably fundamental to their ambitions of playing in the Super Bowl for the first time in half a century.

Sure, the Chiefs are in business to compete, not be a pillar of virtue. Those worlds can collide, and it can be complicated. Or as reader Dan Curry eloquently put it in an email on Thursday: “We want them to be a beacon of honor, but they’re also a business where that beacon shines on winning from the thousands of fans who follow them.”

But the spotlight now is on what looms as a trend for this franchise, which cut running back Kareem Hunt last fall only after video surfaced of him knocking over and shoving a woman months before and emphasized it was for lying.

Earlier this week, the Chiefs traded for Seattle defensive end Frank Clark, who was involved in a domestic violence incident in 2014 that led to him being dismissed from the Michigan football team.

Sure, it’s hard to have a one-size-fits-all policy. And we can’t be so cynical that we don’t believe in second chances, can we?

Just the same, this is a franchise that should feel more duty-bound than most to be sensitive to domestic violence in the wake of the 2012 murder of Kasandra Perkins by linebacker Jovan Belcher, who then killed himself in the parking lot outside the Chiefs’ training facility.

When the Chiefs drafted Hill in 2016, a few months after he pleaded guilty to domestic assault and battery by strangulation of the then-pregnant Espinal, I touched base with Perkins’ mother, Becky Gonzalez.

“I heard the story: It’s disheartening to see another case of money over morals,” Becky Gonzalez, the grandmother to orphaned baby Zoey, said via text message. “They (the NFL) do whatever damage control is necessary at the time to appease (the) public but never take a stance.

“I hope they don’t end up regretting their decision.”

For a while, their decision looked good. While Hill was emerging as a human blur and one of the most exciting players anyone has ever seen, he also by all accounts was conducting himself with exemplary behavior.

When his three-year deferred sentence ended last August and Hill had completed all of his court-mandated requirements, Hill’s conviction in Payne County, Okla., was expunged. And it was heartening to hear what county assistant DA for domestic violence Debra Vincent said.

“Who’s to say that this wasn’t life-changing in how he looked at that part of his life?” she said in a phone interview at the time.

But Vincent also reminded me of the truth that was always lurking: She warned that the work he’d done to date was no guarantee of future behavior. Because his progress could only be measured over a lifetime, not a few years — just as concerned local domestic abuse experts warned when the Chiefs drafted Hill and trumpeted their vetting and urged us all to trust them.

And that’s the other favor this sad situation has done for the Chiefs. It stands as a statement that they need to change their attitude about this, not to mention their system.

When they said “trust us” and implied they knew better than the experts and said they had thoroughly vetted him and that they have their own in-house ways of working with these situations, they didn’t know what they didn’t know.

Now they need to own up to that and revisit how they do this part of the business, perhaps with a dose of transparency involved, lest they continue to go down this path and have reason to regret it again.

Vahe Gregorian has been a sports columnist for The Kansas City Star since 2013 after 25 years at the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. He has covered a wide spectrum of sports, including 10 Olympics. Vahe was an English major at the University of Pennsylvania and earned his master’s degree at Mizzou.
[Reply]
tyreekthefreak 08:16 AM 04-26-2019
Originally Posted by B_Ambuehl:
Yes Adrian Peterson got a 2nd chance for DISCIPLINING his child by spanking, something I'm sure over 50% of the people on this forum have been exposed to. There's a HUGE difference between that and breaking a kids arm and pounding him in the chest when he cries. Adrian Peterson also didnt have any previous histories or convictions for domestic violence, Hill did. Hill will now be prosecuted for this crime and likely convicted. Given his previous conviction and the public reaction he's looking at a prison term.

Either way he's done from the NFL.
AP cut his sons legs with tree branches! Who knows how Tyreeks son broke his arm; could have fallen. How hard was the punch to the chest? Just Tyreeks way of raising his child!
[Reply]
burt 08:17 AM 04-26-2019
Originally Posted by tyreekthefreak:
Honor and Decency? It's a business! Abuse of any kind is bad. What Tyreek is alleged to have done is his way of parenting. Was it abuse? Who knows what really happened or how hard he "punched" his son.
You start talking "honor and decency" where do you draw the line??? Keep Reek and get him help. Reevaluate his position next year.

DO NOT RELEASE HIM!!!
Given the Hunt debacle.... Morally, football wise...I agree with this. Let the NFL levy their punishment. BUT man up for the child and the Chiefs. I assume there are actual grounds per his contract to fire/cut him... then another team has the fastest human in the NFL. And the child is no better off. Sit him down and explain...we could fire you. INSTEAD, you WILL go to constant therapy, you WILL have supervision, this is how you stay in the NFL. No debate.

Stand up for the child. Get Tyreek help. And don't dismiss a great player. That is a win.

Alter boys aren't going to take you to a SB. But taking care of your employees and their families just might. Hell, we all have our demons.... If I were in Reeks situation, I would gladly accept help. And a paycheck.
[Reply]
petegz28 08:20 AM 04-26-2019
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
I respectfully think there's a spectrum here and you guys are trying to paint things very black and white.

I had no problem with drafting Hill because I thought - although what he did in college was pretty horrific - he was young and deserved a second chance.

I liked trading for Clark even though I knew his history because it seemed like an isolated incident and not a pattern of behavior.

I had no problem signing Okafor and was proud that it took 3 officers to bring him down when he was arrested.

I wasn't okay releasing Hunt because of the video but fully understood how a breach of trust (i.e., lying to your employer) was grounds for dismissal.

All different situations with varying levels of severity.

But now, I believe Tyreek Hill violated his second chance, and not in a I-punched-a-guy-at-a-nightclub sort of way. I think he abused his kid and then conspired with his girlfriend to cover it up to get a 100mm contract (I know some of you dispute that and that's fine, but that's beside the point I'm trying to make). This in conjunction with his earlier arrest for domestic violence tips the scales for me - I don't think he should ever play again in the NFL and think Gooddell should make an example out of him (though I have no clue how it'll ultimately play out).

I want the Chiefs to win a Super Bowl as much as you guys do. And I don't care about having a lot of choir boys on the team. But Tyreek Hill - as far as I can tell (again my opinion) - is much worse than the other examples and pretty close to the bottom of the barrel that only Belcher has truly managed to reach.

There is no problem with thinking that nor with your overall opinion. But how about we make sure we have all the details and facts before we start saying he should be perma-banned and what not? I think punishment of some sort is coming and should.

The fact of the matter is we still don't know exactly what happened. What we do know is it isn't a good environment for the kid regardless. We do know the GF is probably just as bad if not as bad as Hill is being made out to be. And we are going a lot by a recorded conversation the GF did in secret and with motive. So there is a lot to still question. For example, no one should ever punch a kid in the chest. But then we also have to ask what exactly does that entail? He obviously wasn't blasting the kid in the chest or it would kill him. We don't know the details.

That is why our justice system works the way it does. Everyone needs to chill just a bit and wait for all the facts to come out. And no one says anyone has to like the facts when they do come out but we have to let the courts, NFL and Chiefs do their thing. there is more to this story than we are being told, obviously.
[Reply]
FAX 08:25 AM 04-26-2019
How many of us could pass the "Secret Recording By Significant Other Attempting To Bait You Into An Incriminating Statement" test?

I know I would probably fail. And miserably, too. I'm honestly not that careful with my words during casual conversations. No matter which side of the abuse/no abuse argument you're on, this was a pretty dirty trick.

FAX
[Reply]
Iowanian 08:28 AM 04-26-2019
Here is the cold hard truth.

If we truly knew the character of all of the professional football and baseball players you'd be disgusted and likely wouldn't watch any of them.

I'd not be surprised to find out that for every high character player who is a great role model, there is a scumbag of a human.

I make it clear that we watch sports for entertainment and I don't want the players to be considered to be a role model by my kids.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 08:28 AM 04-26-2019
Originally Posted by FAX:
How many of us could pass the "Secret Recording By Significant Other Attempting To Bait You Into An Incriminating Statement" test?

I know I would probably fail. And miserably, too. I'm honestly not that careful with my words during casual conversations. No matter which side of the abuse/no abuse argument you're on, this was a pretty dirty trick.

FAX
Honestly it shows in intent of Crystal to entrap Tyreek in wrong doing. It show MALICE on her part to blackmail Tyreek.

Your telling me she recorded these conversations and didn't get him to admit to anything? and somehow that make him bad? How long has she been threatening to end his career?
[Reply]
burt 08:33 AM 04-26-2019
Originally Posted by Iowanian:
Here is the cold hard truth.

I'd not be surprised to find out that inside every high character player who is a great role model, there is a scumbag of a human(at times).
FYP
[Reply]
TwistedChief 08:35 AM 04-26-2019
Originally Posted by petegz28:
We do know the GF is probably just as bad if not as bad as Hill is being made out to be.
See... this is kinda what I have a problem with. In one breath, you say not to pass judgment or jump to conclusions and then in the next - truly without any real evidence - you state as a basis of fact that the GF is just as bad as Hill.

The fact is: he abused her. We know that. We don't know what precipitated it, but do we think there's anything that warrants choking out your pregnant girlfriend?

So, if you're saying with a straight face that we know she's as bad as he is, then you must be really making some horrible assumptions about what she did to Hill and to the kid in this situation.

How much do you know about her aside from that tape and that she teaches children for a living?

Originally Posted by :
That is why our justice system works the way it does. Everyone needs to chill just a bit and wait for all the facts to come out. And no one says anyone has to like the facts when they do come out but we have to let the courts, NFL and Chiefs do their thing. there is more to this story than we are being told, obviously.
Mostly agree with this. The reality is people are judged in our society and painted with a brush all the time without a full set of facts. I'm sure many people have opinions on certain politics figures on both sides without knowing all or even most of the details. Do you reserve judgment until the matter finds a conclusion in a criminal court of law? No, because most situations don't end up there, and this may not either.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 08:36 AM 04-26-2019
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
I’d root for Hitler if it meant winning the Super Bowl.

I don’t care anymore. Patriots gonna cheat? We’ll use pieces of shit as players. No honor in it, but whatever it fucking takes, I guess
I'm getting there. But one thing's for sure, we're sure as shootin shouldn't be essentially donating our Rambo's to the enemy like the NFL tends to pressure us into doing!
[Reply]
ChiefBlueCFC 08:39 AM 04-26-2019
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Does it hurt holding up your holy halo? Is it heavy?
You mean realizing that this is bigger than winning football games? That Tyreek is a serial abuser and he isn't going to change? You a win at all costs and fuck the rest type of person yeah? You're a clown
[Reply]
FAX 08:40 AM 04-26-2019
I once had this idea that there was a limit to judgemental puffery. Naive, I guess ...

Is it crazy to imagine that some of the people who are screaming, "Hang him in the name of morality!" couldn't pass this level of scrutiny?

For some reason, I have a hard time believing they could.

FAX
[Reply]
WV 08:42 AM 04-26-2019
I once had this idea that there was a limit to judgemental puffery. Naive, I guess ...

Is it crazy to imagine that some of the people who are screaming, "Hang him in the name of morality!" couldn't pass this level of scrutiny?

FAX
Stop trying to use logic.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 08:44 AM 04-26-2019

FAX
I was student council president in 8th grade, impeached for sexual harassment, and then called 'Clarence Thomas' for awhile. So I know what it's like to suffer from a heightened level of scrutiny.

But you realize that you when you abuse your pregnant girlfriend, you've invited such scrutiny on yourself and deserve it.
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 08:44 AM 04-26-2019
NOBODY WILL CARE IN A FEW MONTHS...and he will be on another "honorless team" praised for "turning things around" You realize that right??
[Reply]
Mecca 08:45 AM 04-26-2019

FAX
It's easy to act that way about morality when its the net and no one knows you.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 19
« First < 45678 910111218 > Last »
Up