ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 19
< 1234 567814 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>If the Chiefs care about honor and decency, Tyreek Hill can’t be part of this team
Eleazar 09:58 PM 04-25-2019
If the Chiefs care about honor and decency, Tyreek Hill can’t be part of this team

BY VAHE GREGORIAN
April 25, 2019 10:31 PM,
Updated 20 minutes ago

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/sp...229705219.html

The instantly infamous audio clip of Tyreek Hill and Crystal Espinal that KCTV-5 aired on Thursday night stood for many things at once.

It was a lens onto a chilling side of Hill, whose response to being told their 3-year-old son is terrified of him was, “You need to be terrified of me, too, bitch.” It was an appalling glimpse at what several sources have told The Star is a toxic relationship.

And her disturbing reference to covering for him with authorities (“I rode for you,” as she put it) was a window into the sorts of obstacles to which Johnson County district attorney Steve Howe seemed to be alluding on Thursday. That’s when he said a crime had been committed when it came their son, who The Star reported had suffered a broken arm among other injuries, but suggested he couldn’t bring charges because the couple had conspired to stonewall a month-long investigation.

Perhaps most of all, the excerpt from a recording Espinal reportedly made while the couple was walking in the Dubai International Airport also was a moment of tangible clarity and, in fact, a favor to the Chiefs.

Unless they are morally bankrupt, it’s easy now.

If they care about what they stand for, if they care about the community, if they care about victims of abuse and their families who already had to be conflicted watching this previously convicted man cavort on the field, Hill can’t be part of this team.

It’s that simple: If they care about honor and decency, Hill can’t be part of this team.

Even after Howe’s extraordinary news conference, there was scant room for equivocation or rationalization about Hill unless they were bent on denial or creating smokescreens around the real issue.

Which they could well have been, given that Hill is their second-most dynamic offensive player behind Patrick Mahomes and arguably fundamental to their ambitions of playing in the Super Bowl for the first time in half a century.

Sure, the Chiefs are in business to compete, not be a pillar of virtue. Those worlds can collide, and it can be complicated. Or as reader Dan Curry eloquently put it in an email on Thursday: “We want them to be a beacon of honor, but they’re also a business where that beacon shines on winning from the thousands of fans who follow them.”

But the spotlight now is on what looms as a trend for this franchise, which cut running back Kareem Hunt last fall only after video surfaced of him knocking over and shoving a woman months before and emphasized it was for lying.

Earlier this week, the Chiefs traded for Seattle defensive end Frank Clark, who was involved in a domestic violence incident in 2014 that led to him being dismissed from the Michigan football team.

Sure, it’s hard to have a one-size-fits-all policy. And we can’t be so cynical that we don’t believe in second chances, can we?

Just the same, this is a franchise that should feel more duty-bound than most to be sensitive to domestic violence in the wake of the 2012 murder of Kasandra Perkins by linebacker Jovan Belcher, who then killed himself in the parking lot outside the Chiefs’ training facility.

When the Chiefs drafted Hill in 2016, a few months after he pleaded guilty to domestic assault and battery by strangulation of the then-pregnant Espinal, I touched base with Perkins’ mother, Becky Gonzalez.

“I heard the story: It’s disheartening to see another case of money over morals,” Becky Gonzalez, the grandmother to orphaned baby Zoey, said via text message. “They (the NFL) do whatever damage control is necessary at the time to appease (the) public but never take a stance.

“I hope they don’t end up regretting their decision.”

For a while, their decision looked good. While Hill was emerging as a human blur and one of the most exciting players anyone has ever seen, he also by all accounts was conducting himself with exemplary behavior.

When his three-year deferred sentence ended last August and Hill had completed all of his court-mandated requirements, Hill’s conviction in Payne County, Okla., was expunged. And it was heartening to hear what county assistant DA for domestic violence Debra Vincent said.

“Who’s to say that this wasn’t life-changing in how he looked at that part of his life?” she said in a phone interview at the time.

But Vincent also reminded me of the truth that was always lurking: She warned that the work he’d done to date was no guarantee of future behavior. Because his progress could only be measured over a lifetime, not a few years — just as concerned local domestic abuse experts warned when the Chiefs drafted Hill and trumpeted their vetting and urged us all to trust them.

And that’s the other favor this sad situation has done for the Chiefs. It stands as a statement that they need to change their attitude about this, not to mention their system.

When they said “trust us” and implied they knew better than the experts and said they had thoroughly vetted him and that they have their own in-house ways of working with these situations, they didn’t know what they didn’t know.

Now they need to own up to that and revisit how they do this part of the business, perhaps with a dose of transparency involved, lest they continue to go down this path and have reason to regret it again.

Vahe Gregorian has been a sports columnist for The Kansas City Star since 2013 after 25 years at the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. He has covered a wide spectrum of sports, including 10 Olympics. Vahe was an English major at the University of Pennsylvania and earned his master’s degree at Mizzou.
[Reply]
BlackOp 01:43 AM 04-26-2019
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
At last, we are in agreement!

But for entirely different reasons.
yeah yeah burn them all..ask critical questions later...sound logic.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 01:51 AM 04-26-2019
Originally Posted by BlackOp:
yeah yeah burn them all..ask critical questions later...sound logic.
You evidently don't like the person who authored this piece and probably think he should be fired.

I think Tyreek Hill was given a wonderful opportunity to come back from a pretty horrific crime but likely ultimately broke that trust by abusing his child. Now, I think he should be fired.

"Burn them all"? I realize you speak in a different language that's laced with bizarre hyperbole from the deep web, but where is that coming from?
[Reply]
kcpasco 01:58 AM 04-26-2019
At last, we are in agreement!

But for entirely different reasons.
Maybe your friend Brooke could maybe write something positive about the Chiefs. Or maybe write how the NFL as a whole enables this behavior because some teams don’t give a ****. Kinda like the Titans drafting a woman beater in round 1 or Kareem being forgiven for everything. But until I think she actually cares about the Chiefs she can still get fucked.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 02:01 AM 04-26-2019
Originally Posted by kcpasco:
Maybe your friend Brooke could maybe write something positive about the Chiefs. Or maybe write how the NFL as a whole enables this behavior because some teams don’t give a ****. Kinda like the Titans drafting a woman beater in round 1 or Kareem being forgiven for everything. But until I think she actually cares about the Chiefs she can still get ****ed.
Can we please stop pointing to kareem hunt or the titans pick as if they're anywhere even in the same ballpark of being as controversial as tyreek was when he was drafted.
[Reply]
kcpasco 02:03 AM 04-26-2019
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
Can we please stop pointing to kareem hunt or the titans pick as if they're anywhere even in the same ballpark of being as controversial as tyreek was when he was drafted.
She wrote a hit piece on Clark the moment he was signed. Hardcore fans already knew his history. That shit was to stir the pot with dumb shit casuals.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 02:11 AM 04-26-2019
Maybe your friend Brooke could maybe write something positive about the Chiefs. Or maybe write how the NFL as a whole enables this behavior because some teams don’t give a ****. Kinda like the Titans drafting a woman beater in round 1 or Kareem being forgiven for everything. But until I think she actually cares about the Chiefs she can still get fucked.
I'm on record as saying Brooke Pryor is a disaster of a reporter before most of you even knew who she was. But it speaks to the strength of your argument that you continue to have a problem with the alleged "SJWs" who are on the side of a 3-year-old child rather than some pretty fucking pathetic parents.

The NFL absolutely enables this behavior. As do fans like the ones on CP arguing that we shouldn't cut him. And did we not benefit from this with Tyreek Hill in the first place? Drafting him in the 5th round and enjoying 3 insane years of production? We're all complicit, and that's fine by me. I don't regret the Chiefs having given him a chance and don't regret having cheered for Hill. But we've crossed the line of what's acceptable and it's not as if we just tip-toed over it.
[Reply]
BlackOp 02:12 AM 04-26-2019
You evidently don't like the person who authored this piece and probably think he should be fired.

I think Tyreek Hill was given a wonderful opportunity to come back from a pretty horrific crime but likely ultimately broke that trust by abusing his child. Now, I think he should be fired.

"Burn them all"? I realize you speak in a different language that's laced with bizarre hyperbole from the deep web, but where is that coming from?
Did he actually abuse his child...I haven't seen anything that says he did other than his psycho GF...the DA couldn't find anything. He wasn't listed in the 2nd police report. Funny when the police said "you are full of shit"..they went to TMZ.

Yeah..burn them all. That chick is a demon...
[Reply]
TwistedChief 02:15 AM 04-26-2019
She wrote a hit piece on Clark the moment he was signed. Hardcore fans already knew his history. That shit was to stir the pot with dumb shit casuals.
:-)

So:
1. She should write articles for the "hardcore fans" who already knew his history. That makes sense. Everything should be directed at CP readership and not who actually reads The Star.
2. A "hit piece" that was factually based, not an Op-Ed offering opinions. His DV past is relevant given what happened with Belcher, Hunt, and the evolving Hill situation. If you don't agree with that, you're a willfully ignorant moron.
[Reply]
kcpasco 02:22 AM 04-26-2019

So:
1. She should write articles for the "hardcore fans" who already knew his history. That makes sense. Everything should be directed at CP readership and not who actually reads The Star.
2. A "hit piece" that was factually based, not an Op-Ed offering opinions. His DV past is relevant given what happened with Belcher, Hunt, and the evolving Hill situation. If you don't agree with that, you're a willfully ignorant moron.
She doesn’t like Clark and if I was him I’d pull a Lynch and just refuse to speak to the media until she was gone. Player interviews don’t mean shit to me but crushing opposing qb’s makes me happy.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 02:23 AM 04-26-2019
Originally Posted by BlackOp:
Did he actually abuse his child...I haven't seen anything that says he did other than his psycho GF...the DA couldn't find anything. He wasn't listed in the 2nd police report. Funny when the police said "you are full of shit"..they went to TMZ.

Yeah..burn them all. That chick is a demon...
Well, someone abused the child. Hill wasn't disabusing anyone of the notion that it was him on that tape. The 3-year-old pointed to the father's having done it. Hill has a history of pretty ugly domestic violence. And "sources" who have been right all along in this situation (in advance) have pointed to Crystal having confided in friends that Hill did it.

BlackOp, you spend the bulk of your time on here throwing every conspiracy theory at the wall hoping something sticks, but there's one consistency with you: you believe everything goes back to money. Yet in this case, you can't bring yourself to admit that the most likely scenario is that he abused the child and then they tried to cover it up to get, well, money. And not a little, mind you.
[Reply]
kcpasco 02:47 AM 04-26-2019

So:
I live in the PNW and the Seahawk fans I talk and work with were surprised of his past criminal history. That should tell you something. I brought it up and they were like I didn’t know that.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 02:56 AM 04-26-2019
I live in the PNW and the Seahawk fans I talk and work with were surprised of his past criminal history. That should tell you something. I brought it up and they were like I didn’t know that.
It tells me that Seahawks fans are casual observers and/or they have short memories. To wit, look at this article from your mainstay paper a week after he was drafted:
https://www.thenewstribune.com/sport...e26287609.html

So, what does it tell you exactly?
[Reply]
kcpasco 03:08 AM 04-26-2019
It tells me that Seahawks fans are casual observers and/or they have short memories. To wit, look at this article from your mainstay paper a week after he was drafted:
https://www.thenewstribune.com/sport...e26287609.html

So, what does it tell you exactly?
Most people east of the cascades ignores Seattle/Tacoma media. But yes I’m sure it was somewhere in the Spokesman Review.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 03:20 AM 04-26-2019
Most people east of the cascades ignores Seattle/Tacoma media.
So the Seahawks fans whom you spoke with who weren't familiar with Clark's history don't read the local news. Glad we got that out of the way. But your original point that was Brooke was going above and beyond in true "SJW" fashion bringing up his past, when it's clear that it's a regular thing that has followed him around wherever he's been.

Do they read Sports Illustrated? Or have access to the internet?
https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/05/09/fr...estic-violence
[Reply]
kcpasco 03:31 AM 04-26-2019
So the Seahawks fans whom you spoke with who weren't familiar with Clark's history don't read the local news. Glad we got that out of the way. But your original point that was Brooke was going above and beyond in true "SJW" fashion bringing up his past, when it's clear that it's a regular thing that has followed him around wherever he's been.

Do they read Sports Illustrated? Or have access to the internet?
https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/05/09/fr...estic-violence
Have you ever heard of Spokane? Spokane and Seattle have kind of a rivalry. (Spokane is 1000000 x better). Just want to call out the hypocrisy of the NFL. You seem close to the media so push a ban for all DV on the entire league.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 19
< 1234 567814 > Last »
Up