ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Media Center>How to cut the cord with older technology?
OnTheWarpath15 09:55 AM 04-18-2019
Need the Planet's brainpower on this one.

I'm sick and tired of paying ridiculous amounts of money for cable and internet.

Here's my problem - we have three TV's in the house - none of which have Smart TV technology and only one has HDMI. Said TV w/HDMI also runs the home theater speakers, which are run by an older Yamaha receiver - also without HDMI.

This means we've had to rely on some sort of cable or satellite box for either component video/audio on the older TVs or optical audio for the older plasma.

I'm starting to feel like the only option is to drop cash to update the TV's.

WTF are my options?

Sincerely,

Someone that doesn't have ridiculous tech skills.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 11:07 AM 04-23-2019
Go to Wal-Mart get a ROKU is your best bet OTW58.
https://www.roku.com/products/roku-express-plus
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 09:28 AM 04-28-2019
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
Go to Wal-Mart get a ROKU is your best bet OTW58.
https://www.roku.com/products/roku-express-plus
That's what I ended up doing for the short term. The Mrs. is pretty happy she can watch Netflix on the old TV now.

Haven't cut the cord yet, still researching which service is going to be best for us. YTTV looking like the early favorite.
[Reply]
Trivers 09:42 AM 04-28-2019
What is the best DVR replacement?

We want to record our shows until a binge session.

thanks
[Reply]
sedated 09:46 AM 04-28-2019
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
idk, but my son's TV recently died and i picked up a brand new TCL "smart TV" off Amazon for about $250 and fee shipping. IIRC, it's a 49" 1080 L.E.D with Roku etc built in. I've had no complaints.

Maybe it's just time, dude.
I have one of these and would recommend not getting one. The Roku functions are slow as hell and apps frequently freeze or crash (if I watch for a few hours, Im expecting to have to unplug and plug back in at least once).

I can turn on the TCL, then go into another room and turn on a TV with separate Roku, and be watching TV on that before the TCL gets to the home screen.
[Reply]
jd1020 11:00 AM 04-28-2019
Originally Posted by Trivers:

[Reply]
DaFace 01:54 PM 04-28-2019
Originally Posted by Trivers:

We want to record our shows until a binge session.

thanks
I assume you're talking about an OTA DVR? I used a Tablo for a while and liked it. I eventually ended up just doing Hulu with Live TV, so I don't use it these days.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 08:27 PM 04-28-2019
Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15:
Locals are included with YouTube TV, correct?
Locals are available with a $30 antenna, too.
[Reply]
sedated 09:20 PM 04-30-2019
Originally Posted by rabblerouser:
Locals are available with a $30 antenna, too.
Plug that into an AirTV (one time $100 buy, no fees) and stream those channels on any TV in your house.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Up