ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Media Center>How to cut the cord with older technology?
OnTheWarpath15 09:55 AM 04-18-2019
Need the Planet's brainpower on this one.

I'm sick and tired of paying ridiculous amounts of money for cable and internet.

Here's my problem - we have three TV's in the house - none of which have Smart TV technology and only one has HDMI. Said TV w/HDMI also runs the home theater speakers, which are run by an older Yamaha receiver - also without HDMI.

This means we've had to rely on some sort of cable or satellite box for either component video/audio on the older TVs or optical audio for the older plasma.

I'm starting to feel like the only option is to drop cash to update the TV's.

WTF are my options?

Sincerely,

Someone that doesn't have ridiculous tech skills.
[Reply]
The Franchise 09:59 AM 04-18-2019
Unless you want to go super high end.....TVs aren't ridiculously expensive now for what you get. Just bite the bullet and get new TVs.
[Reply]
Sofa King 09:59 AM 04-18-2019
Still going to need internet with the smart TV's. You can grab smart TV's pretty cheap and it's a one time purchase that will get you through many years. Then add Netflix, Hulu, amazon prime or whatever you want.

You'd be getting rid out outdated TV's and your cable portion of your bill. If you use the reddit streams you can watch any sport/game you want to on that smart TV as well.
[Reply]
ModSocks 10:00 AM 04-18-2019
Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15:
Need the Planet's brainpower on this one.

I'm sick and tired of paying ridiculous amounts of money for cable and internet.

Here's my problem - we have three TV's in the house - none of which have Smart TV technology and only one has HDMI. Said TV w/HDMI also runs the home theater speakers, which are run by an older Yamaha receiver - also without HDMI.

This means we've had to rely on some sort of cable or satellite box for either component video/audio on the older TVs or optical audio for the older plasma.

I'm starting to feel like the only option is to drop cash to update the TV's.

WTF are my options?

Sincerely,

Someone that doesn't have ridiculous tech skills.
idk, but my son's TV recently died and i picked up a brand new TCL "smart TV" off Amazon for about $250 and fee shipping. IIRC, it's a 49" 1080 L.E.D with Roku etc built in. I've had no complaints.

Maybe it's just time, dude.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:01 AM 04-18-2019
You can get a Roku at least that can use a composite output.

https://www.amazon.com/Roku-Express-...dp/B01M2AJZ5P/
[Reply]
The Franchise 10:02 AM 04-18-2019
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
idk, but my son's TV recently died and i picked up a brand new TCL "smart TV" off Amazon for about $250 and fee shipping. IIRC, it's a 49" 1080 L.E.D with Roku etc built in. I've had no complaints.

Maybe it's just time, dude.
I've got two TCLs in my house and I've had no complaints about them. The kids love Roku and it's easy for them to figure out and use....plus it's one remote.
[Reply]
ModSocks 10:03 AM 04-18-2019
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It might not be super techie, the latest and greatest or a major name brand (Though TCL has been coming up through the years).

But it's $250 w/ free shipping and IMO, the clarity is outstanding. It's certainly better than the 8 year old Panasonic Plasma that it replaced. And it feels like it weighs less than 10lbs.
[Reply]
BWillie 10:04 AM 04-18-2019
I pay $179 for Cable, internet. I have a second internet connection that is $30. Netflix $12. Amazon Prime Video $120 a year I think. Then a buddy of mine has a streaming movie & show thing thru Plex on Roku that is better than all of them, and it's free. Also have YouTubeTV $45 a month (which is pretty awesome) because one of my rentals I pay for the utilities.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:05 AM 04-18-2019
You could also look into converters, though I can't personally vouch for how well they work.

https://www.amazon.com/Musou-Compone...dp/B01F6URXYY/
[Reply]
ModSocks 10:06 AM 04-18-2019
Originally Posted by DaFace:
You could also look into converters, though I can't personally vouch for how well they work.

https://www.amazon.com/Musou-Compone...dp/B01F6URXYY/
Ive used one and it sucked shit. Couldn't get any signal through it. Maybe i bought a bad product.

I also tried using an HDMI multi-port switch. That sucked too.

But that was years and years ago.
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 10:34 AM 04-18-2019
Someone correct me if I'm wrong...I could use YouTube TV for content (along with current Netflix sub) put a Roku Express on the two older TV's, and use the XBox1 on the plasma.

I think the only channel I'd really be missing out on is NFLN.
[Reply]
ModSocks 10:37 AM 04-18-2019

That's what i thought too. But you won't miss it.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:39 AM 04-18-2019
Someone correct me if I'm wrong...I could use YouTube TV for content (along with current Netflix sub) put a Roku Express on the two older TV's, and use the XBox1 on the plasma.

Yep. I use my Xbox One for a media center. Works great (though I do somewhat prefer an actual remote over the controller, but whatever).

Just note that the Roku Express won't put out an HD signal over composite, so depending on how old we're talking on the older TVs, that could be a drawback.

If you do go the Express Plus route, it's cheaper at Walmart.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Roku-Expr...ALUE/369278616
[Reply]
The Franchise 11:07 AM 04-18-2019

Haven't had NFLN in almost a year and I don't miss it.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 11:23 AM 04-18-2019
Buy an HD antenna for local HD channels. There are usually quite a few local channels out there if you live near a major city.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up