ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 7
1 2345 > Last »
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Calling all Scouts: Tell me about the top Safety prospects.
Mr_Tomahawk 10:39 PM 03-13-2019
Now that we no longer have Berry, I hope we spend 1 of our top 3 picks on a ball hawk safety.

So all the armchair scouts in here; give me a quick overview of the top safeties in this class that could go in the first two rounds.

And who would you compare them to in the NFL? (Past or Present)

Any Ed Reeds in this class or absolute ballhawks?

Thank you.
[Reply]
The Franchise 10:40 PM 03-13-2019
Nassir Adderley

/thread
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 11:17 PM 03-13-2019
There’s some solid safeties that should mostly all he available at 29. Adderley is the best true FS.
[Reply]
kccrow 01:46 AM 03-14-2019
This would be my list... I don't have time to write glowing documentaries on them and you can get scouting reports all over the web that are relatively fair on each...

Best bets to be the next Ed Reed:

Juan Thornhill, Virginia (6'0" 205, 4.42) - Had to play a lot of CB for Virginia due to injuries early on but ended up moving to his natural safety spot as a Sr can play either spot. 13 Ints in 3 yrs starting including 6 as a Sr to go with 98 tackles. Zierlien says Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix but I see more range and ball skills more like Kevin Byard and flashes young Eric Berry.

Nasir Adderley, Delaware (6'0" 206) - Excellent range and a true FS but also has played at CB quite a bit. 10 Ints in 4 yrs starting but all in his last 3 years. Zierlein says Jessie Bates and I tend to agree.

I kinda see a Glover Quin floor for either of those guys and that's not bad.

The rest...

Johnathan Abram, Mississippi St (5'11" 205, 4.45) - Arguably best in class SS type that closes fast on the ball carrier and lays the wood but has enough speed and size to match up on TEs and RBs but more of a box type than coverage guy. Zierlein says Keanu Neal and that may be accurate.

Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, Florida (5'11" 210, 4.48) - Jack of all trades FS type that can play single-high or in the slot and has good size and thump. Alot like Honey Badger but with more size. Maybe a Tashaun Gipson type.

Taylor Rapp, Washington (6'0" 208) - A SS type with ok range and good tackling, elite short-area quickness. Zierlein compared him to Harrison Smith but I'm not sure. Maybe more like Patrick Chung in that I see him excelling in more of a box role like that.

Amani Hooker, Iowa (5'11" 210, 4.48) - More of a traditional SS box type primarily. Doesn't have amazing coverage range but can stick in the intermediate zone. Really excels close to the line as a guy that can impact the run. I'd say more like Malcolm Jenkins or Tony Jefferson.

Darnell Savage, Maryland (5'11" 198, 4.36) - FS with good range and coverage skills. 9 career ints. Can take slot duties with ease. Not great size, kinda small. I'd say the Lamarcus Joyner comp is accurate and would even say Devin McCourty with that size/speed/coverage.

Deionte Thompson, Alabama (6'1" 195) - FS with good overall range and tackling. Doesn't have great ball skills. Really thin frame so durability is the biggest quesiton mark. Limited starting experience but was really good as a rsJr. No idea who to comp him to at the moment, maybe Marcus Williams.

I'm just gonna add a few day 3 types that could make some sense.

Will Harris, Boston College (6'1" 208, 4.41) - Fairly reliable safety that I see more as a FS type that needs things in front of him but can play really well when he does. Is going to need coaching up in the film room. Doesn't have great ball skills and isn't necessarily a playmaker.

Marquise Blair, Utah (6'1" 195, 4.48) - FS with outstanding range and will come crashing in in run support. If a team reins him in and teaches him to play more controlled, he could be a solid FS. If not, he'll be blowing plays all over the field because he's too aggressive.

Khari Willis, Michigan State (5'11" 213, 4.52) - Purely a SS type that may be more of a Cover 2 SS. Brings a thump when he tackles. Adequate but not stellar in coverage, needs to play assignment sound. Doesn't have the range to play single-high and come downhill or to trail in coverage from underneath.
[Reply]
Mr_Tomahawk 09:43 AM 03-14-2019
Originally Posted by kccrow:
This would be my list... I don't have time to write glowing documentaries on them and you can get scouting reports all over the web that are relatively fair on each...

Best bets to be the next Ed Reed:

Juan Thornhill, Virginia (6'0" 205, 4.42) - Had to play a lot of CB for Virginia due to injuries early on but ended up moving to his natural safety spot as a Sr can play either spot. 13 Ints in 3 yrs starting including 6 as a Sr to go with 98 tackles. Zierlien says Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix but I see more range and ball skills more like Kevin Byard and flashes young Eric Berry.

Nasir Adderley, Delaware (6'0" 206) - Excellent range and a true FS but also has played at CB quite a bit. 10 Ints in 4 yrs starting but all in his last 3 years. Zierlein says Jessie Bates and I tend to agree.

I kinda see a Glover Quin floor for either of those guys and that's not bad.

The rest...

Johnathan Abram, Mississippi St (5'11" 205, 4.45) - Arguably best in class SS type that closes fast on the ball carrier and lays the wood but has enough speed and size to match up on TEs and RBs but more of a box type than coverage guy. Zierlein says Keanu Neal and that may be accurate.

Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, Florida (5'11" 210, 4.48) - Jack of all trades FS type that can play single-high or in the slot and has good size and thump. Alot like Honey Badger but with more size. Maybe a Tashaun Gipson type.

Taylor Rapp, Washington (6'0" 208) - A SS type with ok range and good tackling, elite short-area quickness. Zierlein compared him to Harrison Smith but I'm not sure. Maybe more like Patrick Chung in that I see him excelling in more of a box role like that.

Amani Hooker, Iowa (5'11" 210, 4.48) - More of a traditional SS box type primarily. Doesn't have amazing coverage range but can stick in the intermediate zone. Really excels close to the line as a guy that can impact the run. I'd say more like Malcolm Jenkins or Tony Jefferson.

Darnell Savage, Maryland (5'11" 198, 4.36) - FS with good range and coverage skills. 9 career ints. Can take slot duties with ease. Not great size, kinda small. I'd say the Lamarcus Joyner comp is accurate and would even say Devin McCourty with that size/speed/coverage.

Deionte Thompson, Alabama (6'1" 195) - FS with good overall range and tackling. Doesn't have great ball skills. Really thin frame so durability is the biggest quesiton mark. Limited starting experience but was really good as a rsJr. No idea who to comp him to at the moment, maybe Marcus Williams.

I'm just gonna add a few day 3 types that could make some sense.

Will Harris, Boston College (6'1" 208, 4.41) - Fairly reliable safety that I see more as a FS type that needs things in front of him but can play really well when he does. Is going to need coaching up in the film room. Doesn't have great ball skills and isn't necessarily a playmaker.

Marquise Blair, Utah (6'1" 195, 4.48) - FS with outstanding range and will come crashing in in run support. If a team reins him in and teaches him to play more controlled, he could be a solid FS. If not, he'll be blowing plays all over the field because he's too aggressive.

Khari Willis, Michigan State (5'11" 213, 4.52) - Purely a SS type that may be more of a Cover 2 SS. Brings a thump when he tackles. Adequate but not stellar in coverage, needs to play assignment sound. Doesn't have the range to play single-high and come downhill or to trail in coverage from underneath.
Fantastic write-up. Thank you!

I am all in on Adderley in the 1st. I would be amped if we drafted him. Coming from Veach's Alma Mater too...probably means nothing.

I would love to watch Mathieu back there with Adderley our new star in the making.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:30 AM 03-14-2019
Adderley is the best true FS but at this point, I think maybe a guy like Thornhill or even Rapp makes more sense.

That way you can move HB around more. You'd essentially have 2 safeties that can play anywhere from robber to nickel corner.
[Reply]
TambaBerry 11:06 AM 03-14-2019
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Nassir Adderley

/thread
unless he totally bombs his 40 time he will definitely be the best
[Reply]
Iconic 05:15 PM 03-14-2019
Deionte Thompson in the second would make me cum. Get him playing like he did in the first half of his last season and it's over.
[Reply]
ntexascardfan 05:56 PM 03-14-2019
I really like Juan Thornhill. He transitioned to safety his senior season and still has a ton of potential to grow into the position.

I also believe that while he may not have the top end potential of Adderley as a true FS, that his versatility will really play well. I wouldn't have concerns with him playing down in the box and I don't see Adderley being able to do that.

He pairs well with Tyrann, imo.
[Reply]
O.city 11:42 AM 03-18-2019

Easiest comparison of the 2019 NFL Draft season for me...

Juan Thornhill 6'0 202
40: 4.42
11'9 Broad Jump
44" Vertical
S/CB Experience
13 INTs, 26 PBUs

Byron Jones 6'1 199
40: 4.43
12'3 Broad Jump
44.5" Vertical
S/CB Experience
8 INTs, 16 PBUs

— Ben Fennell (@BenFennell_NFL) March 18, 2019

[Reply]
CoMoChief 06:54 PM 03-18-2019
I know a lot of people here love Adderley, and he addresses a FS need.

I just like Abram the most out of any safety in this draft...dude plays old school, lasers in on targets and lays the wood. Plus he went up against much better competition having played in SEC.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:38 PM 03-18-2019
Originally Posted by CoMoChief:
I know a lot of people here love Adderley, and he addresses a FS need.

I just like Abram the most out of any safety in this draft...dude plays old school, lasers in on targets and lays the wood. Plus he went up against much better competition having played in SEC.
The only thing about Abram is that he plays like a small linebacker. It looks like they plan on using Mathieu in the SS role (given the info on Earl Thomas) so Abram might be a tad redundant. Abram's pass coverage is pretty suspect IMO.
[Reply]
Chief Northman 10:02 PM 03-18-2019
If the pursuit of Earl Thomas says anything, it is that the Chiefs are keying on a guy that can play true single-high. In this draft, that is probably:

Adderly
Gardner-Johnson
Thompson
Thornhill

Not one of them are on the board after round 2, and most likely all are gone by the mid-2nd round....
[Reply]
CoMoChief 10:17 PM 03-18-2019
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
The only thing about Abram is that he plays like a small linebacker. It looks like they plan on using Mathieu in the SS role (given the info on Earl Thomas) so Abram might be a tad redundant. Abram's pass coverage is pretty suspect IMO.
i know...this team just fuckin' sucks at tackling, and I believe they will next season as well. Need to stop the run. Not that I dislike the honey badger signing, I just wish this D didn't have so many damn problems eveywhere you look lol.
[Reply]
CoMoChief 10:24 PM 03-18-2019
Kentucky's Mike Edwards is a good safety as well...versatile, plays a lot of positions on the field, has ties to Matt House obviously.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 7
1 2345 > Last »
Up