ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>The hidden gem of this years TE class: Kahale Warring
Iconic 09:30 PM 03-30-2019
Kahale Warring is a slick 252 pounds measuring in at a little over 6 feet 5. He's a multi-sport athlete who didn't have football on his mind till his senior year of high school. Primarily focusing on basketball, water polo, cross county, swimming, soccer, and even tennis, he took up football on a whim and before he knew it he was catching passes at San Diego State as a walk on. He came to the Aztecs as raw as can be, not even understanding what the A gap was. However that didn't stop him from grabbing 637 yards and 8 TDs from 51 receptions in essentially two seasons (freshman year cut extremely short due to foot injury).

Combine stats (rank among 21 TEs):
40 Yard Dash - 4.67 (6th)
Bench Press - 19 (9th)
Vertical Jump - 36.5 (4th)
Broad Jump - 122.0 (3rd)
3 Cone Drill - 7.21 (12th)
20 Yd Shuttle - 4.25 (4th)
60 Yd Shuttle - 11.72 (3rd)

As we can see his production isn't the greatest in two years. But you have to account for his learning curve, injury, and the fact that he was playing in a run first offense. I know most detractors will focus in on this so my simple rebuttal is George Kittle who amassed 48 receptions, 737 yards and 10 touchdowns in 48 games. Warring got similar production while playing nearly HALF the amount of games Kittle did.

Next lets focus on Kahale's strength - his athleticism. There's no question this kid is athletically gifted with a SPARQ percentile of 80 representing a VERY good NFL athlete at the TE position (top 4 among all TE's in this years draft). Also his tape speaks for itself. Although he didn't get a ton of opportunities due to the constricting offense he was in, there are flashes that show his gifts translating to the football field.

He has WAY more upside than Fant as a blocker and could potentially be as good as Fant as a receiver. Very raw but man, the potential to be an every down TE is absolutely there. He's already a solid inline blocker thanks to SDSU so he can fit easily into a TE2 role and grow into a TE1. Sneaky speed, aggressive at catch point, unbelievable ability to adjust to the ball, and he's shown on tape he can break character and ad lib when a play breaks down (something Mahomes will love).

IMO he's a round 3 guy so I'd be willing to package a 5th with our 3rd to move up and grab him early.
[Reply]
kccrow 02:07 PM 03-31-2019
After Hock, my favorite TE in this class. The Chiefs won't draft a TE in round 1 so I'd take Hock right out of the equation. Even then, a team will take Hock in the top-15 I'd imagine. Warring is a guy that, if he's there in the 2nd, I'm grabbing. I took him with pick 64 to NE in the mock. He has prototypical measurements and is a good player in all facets.
[Reply]
O.city 06:35 PM 03-31-2019
I like foster Moreau the best. I’ve seen him compared to George Kittle
[Reply]
Chief Northman 07:16 PM 03-31-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
I like foster Moreau the best. I’ve seen him compared to George Kittle
You watch full game tape?

Great blocker. Slow as molasses. Average to poor route runner. Decent hands.
There are half a dozen to more TEs in this class way better than him.
[Reply]
O.city 07:55 PM 03-31-2019
Originally Posted by Chief Northman:
You watch full game tape?

Great blocker. Slow as molasses. Average to poor route runner. Decent hands.
There are half a dozen to more TEs in this class way better than him.
His combine numbers were right there with the other guys
[Reply]
Chief Northman 08:57 PM 03-31-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
His combine numbers were right there with the other guys
Like I said, watch game tape. He doesn’t get separation.
[Reply]
O.city 09:09 PM 03-31-2019
Originally Posted by Chief Northman:
Like I said, watch game tape. He doesn’t get separation.
By game tape you mean YouTube cut ups?

Collegiate tight end play is usually tough on production. Always want to draft these guys based on traits
[Reply]
T-post Tom 10:21 PM 03-31-2019
Player Bio

Kahale Kuio Kalani Michael Wodehouse Warring was a latecomer to football, starring instead in just about every other sport possible (water polo, basketball, cross county, swimming, soccer and tennis) during his time at Sonora High School in California. His one season on the gridiron gained enough interest from SDSU that he was given a shot as a walk-on. Warring redshirted the 2015 season while bulking up, and then played in four games as a reserve (2-17-8.5, two touchdowns) the following year before a broken foot cut the year short. Coaches gave him a scholarship before the 2017 season, and he ended up starting 3 of 13 games played (18-248-13.8, three TD). Warring only started twice in 12 games played in 2018 but was still named honorable mention All-Mountain West because he led the Aztecs with 31 receptions (which went for 372 yards, 12.0 average, and three scores). He did not play in the team's bowl game due to a hamstring injury suffered in the regular-season finale.

Analysis

NFL Comparison: Todd Heap

Overview

Exciting and ascending, Warring is still a relative newcomer to the game, but he has the size, speed and athleticism to become a versatile, high-impact player on the pro level. He has the competitiveness to handle run-blocking duties and the talent to line up in the slot. While his production won't catch your eye, his tape does with quickness and ball skills that should make him a more productive target in the NFL than he was in college.

Strengths

•Chiseled, athletic frame with very good size
•Has blocking toughness and just needs to improve technique
•Snaps hands and hips into engagement
•Good radar in space as move-blocker
•Races off snap and into seam with plus acceleration
•Early speed to lose linebackers
•Nifty, quick feet for sharp directional change in routes
•Talented to work all three levels as receiver
•Former basketball player and it shows
•Able to post up defenders and win body positioning
•Sudden leaper with springs to win at the high-point
•Makes mid-air ball adjustments
•Ability to run past or drag tacklers after catch

Weaknesses

•Needs to improve his landmarks as run-blocker
•Slow-starter getting into lateral blocks and loses positioning
•Inconsistent hands as base-blocker
•Needs to improve timing on work-up blocks
•Still relatively inexperienced with modest career production
•Not as clever in setting up route breaks as he could be
•Will need to work quicker and be more sudden with red zone work
•Dropped too many easy catches in 2018

Sources Tell Us

"He's exciting to project because he hasn't played that much football and he still has big-time flashes. He's one of those guys who was good at everything in high school athletics, and that usually translates out on the field." -- West Coast scout for NFC team

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/kahale-warring?id=32195741-5275-2700-ebaf-ccabda046f86
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:01 AM 04-01-2019
Travis Kelce wasn't a great route runner coming out of college. He was actually a 3rd round pick for a reason. Guys with this level of athleticism can be DEVELOPED, just like Travis Kelce.

I wasn't even a fan of the Kelce pick at the time, that's how raw he was. He's now the best TE in the game. The idea that Warring "gets no separation" is a nit that doesn't need picked.
[Reply]
O.city 10:03 AM 04-01-2019
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Travis Kelce wasn't a great route runner coming out of college. He was actually a 3rd round pick for a reason. Guys with this level of athleticism can be DEVELOPED, just like Travis Kelce.

I wasn't even a fan of the Kelce pick at the time, that's how raw he was. He's now the best TE in the game. The idea that Warring "gets no separation" is a nit that doesn't need picked.
Exactly. Look at George Kittle.

Draft tight ends based on traits, not production.
[Reply]
Up