Burt Reynolds
Timothy Olyphant
Michael Madsen
Tim Roth
Dewey Crow as Manson

This is going to be one epic movie.

[Reply]
Easy 6 07:52 PM 04-04-2020
Well into this again for the umpteenth time, we’re headed to the Spahn Ranch right now... the vibe there brought to life just like you’d imagine it
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:21 PM 04-04-2020
Originally Posted by vailpass:
I’m with you. I rented this a few weeks ago, got bored after 20 minutes and turned it off. Got home from a long hike the other day and this came on Starz, figured maybe I was in the right mood to watch a slow movie.

I kept waiting for the movie to start and an hour in I realized this was it. Some old-school Hollywood homages, Decaprio crying every now and then, Pitt being Pitt, and repeat. The vintage cars were cool and the Bruce Lee scene was funny. Other than that it was Decaprio and Pitt and I never forgot that’s who I was watching. Not the usual characters Tarantino creates. Seemed to go on forever.

2 hours in I got a phone call and haven’t gone back. Just don’t care.

Props to those of you who got something out of it. It’s last on my Tarantino list and I’m a big fan of his, Decaprio’s, and Pitt’s work.
everyone has an opinion but dude, come on, last? LAST?
[Reply]
rabblerouser 08:31 PM 04-04-2020
I’m with you. I rented this a few weeks ago, got bored after 20 minutes and turned it off. Got home from a long hike the other day and this came on Starz, figured maybe I was in the right mood to watch a slow movie.

I kept waiting for the movie to start and an hour in I realized this was it. Some old-school Hollywood homages, Decaprio crying every now and then, Pitt being Pitt, and repeat. The vintage cars were cool and the Bruce Lee scene was funny. Other than that it was Decaprio and Pitt and I never forgot that’s who I was watching. Not the usual characters Tarantino creates. Seemed to go on forever.

2 hours in I got a phone call and haven’t gone back. Just don’t care.

Props to those of you who got something out of it. It’s last on my Tarantino list and I’m a big fan of his, Decaprio’s, and Pitt’s work.
Are you ****ing insane?

That movie is GREATNESS. The part where Rick Dalton is talking to Mirabella Lancer and he realizes that he really connects with the Easy Breezy character in his western book is GOLD.

Then in his trailer : "you had to have 8 whiskey sours? You fucking alcoholic...you get your shit together or I'm blowing your brains out all over your pool tonight!"

I also loved the part where Cliff Booth (Pitt) goes to Spahn Ranch and visits George Spahn.

The way the whole thing culminates and peaks in the last 20 minutes...greatness.

The only thing that I took issue with was the "acid-laced cigarette". Everyone knows you can't smoke LSD.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 08:32 PM 04-04-2020
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
Well into this again for the umpteenth time, we’re headed to the Spahn Ranch right now... the vibe there brought to life just like you’d imagine it
Yup.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 08:33 PM 04-04-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Tarantino's 1969 Summer of love in LA/Manson pic has added

Al Pacino
Damian Lewis
Luke Perry
Emile Hirsch
Dakota Fanning
Clifton Collins Jr
Keith Jefferson
Nicholas Hammond in supporting roles for a lineup that already includes:
Leonardo DiCaprio
Brad Pitt
Margot Robbie
Burt Reynolds
Timothy Olyphant
Michael Madsen
Tim Roth
Dewey Crow as Manson

This is going to be one epic movie.

1967 was "the summer of love".
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 10:07 AM 04-05-2020
Pitts Cliff Booth made the movie for me. I found the Rick Dalton stuff kinda boring.

But every scene involving Cliff was magic.
[Reply]
gblowfish 10:29 AM 04-05-2020
I guess the story is what you have to call "suspending belief." I enjoyed the tap ins to late 1960's culture (Mannix, Combat, Matt Helm) and the cars were way cool. Thought Leo's character was a big mish mash of Robert Conrad, Chuck Conners and James Garner. And between this movie and Hunters on Netflix, Pacino has morphed from a Mafia Godfather to a little old Jewish man. Very strange. The guy who played Bruce Lee was a hoot too.
[Reply]
DeepPurple 02:08 PM 04-05-2020
I'm as real as a donut, Mother ****er!!

I love 1968 and '69 music. I graduated high school in '68, this movie is right up my alley. I didn't think that many people would really dig it. I'm glad some of you like it. I guess you have to be a fan of the 60's to really get into it. I've got a small section of a wall at home with about 25 photos of shows and movies I like from the 60's and such.

[Reply]
Easy 6 02:38 PM 04-05-2020
Yeah I wasn’t born until 71 but can still relate to so much of this movie, all of those Bounty Law style westerns were still showing regularly in syndication

I read Vincent Bugliosis definitive book on the Manson saga as a very young teen, so that was familiar as well... and all the rest of it too, really, all of those cars were still on the road as a kid, all that music was still on the radio

Bruce Lee was still huge, I used to OD on his movies... and though Tarantino portrayed him badly, it was still cool to see him brought back to life so perfectly

Yeah this flic just clicks with me, might just put it on again today if I get tired of shark week...
[Reply]
Rain Man 02:54 PM 04-05-2020
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Pitts Cliff Booth made the movie for me. I found the Rick Dalton stuff kinda boring.

But every scene involving Cliff was magic.
In an odd coincidence, I just watched the movie last night for the first time. I'd wanted to see it in the theaters but never had the timing right to do it.

I agree on Cliff versus Rick. If you completely took Rick out of the movie it wouldn't have made a negative impact. Cliff was the interesting one. In fact, the movie was coming close to losing me during that big extended filming scene in the middle where Rick was on the set of the western.

I also don't get Tarantino's love of ridiculous violence like the flame thrower use. I don't think it added anything and it took me out of scene because it was so unrealistic. I'll admit that I did laugh at Cliff slamming that one woman's face against every single thing in the house, though.

I'll comment on the ending in a spoiler in case someone hasn't seen it.

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Deberg_1990 03:33 PM 04-05-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
In an odd coincidence, I just watched the movie last night for the first time. I'd wanted to see it in the theaters but never had the timing right to do it.

I agree on Cliff versus Rick. If you completely took Rick out of the movie it wouldn't have made a negative impact. Cliff was the interesting one. In fact, the movie was coming close to losing me during that big extended filming scene in the middle where Rick was on the set of the western.

I also don't get Tarantino's love of ridiculous violence like the flame thrower use. I don't think it added anything and it took me out of scene because it was so unrealistic. I'll admit that I did laugh at Cliff slamming that one woman's face against every single thing in the house, though.

I'll comment on the ending in a spoiler in case someone hasn't seen it.

Spoiler!

It’s another film in QTs revisionist history catalog. With a hyperextended reality.

Similar in Vein to Inglorious Bastards and DJango Unchained.

It’s what QT wishes how things would have ended up.

It’s what he does. Every movie he’s made has his own version of reality. You either run with it or you don’t.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:14 PM 04-05-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
I agree on Cliff versus Rick. If you completely took Rick out of the movie it wouldn't have made a negative impact.
While Cliff was the soul of the movie, Rick was the heart of the movie. Without Rick, there would have been no Cliff.

I'm surprised to see so many people pan LDC's performance and character. For me, it was absolutely mind blowing to actually SEE a real TV Series, Lancer, acted out by actors, who themselves are being portrayed by actors in a TV series within in a movie.

The way LDC seamlessly transitioned from Rick Dalton in Bounty Law to a criminal in Lancer, then back to Rick Dalton the person was simply amazing, IMO, and his performance was absolutely stellar.

As much as I've loved Brad Pitt's characters over the years, I always see Brad Pitt in the role. I didn't really see Cliff when Pitt was onscreen, I saw Pitt.

Yet LDC was essentially playing three different characters in the film and I saw each and every one of those and not Leonardo Di Caprio.
[Reply]
vailpass 05:07 PM 04-05-2020
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
Yeah I wasn’t born until 71 but can still relate to so much of this movie, all of those Bounty Law style westerns were still showing regularly in syndication

I read Vincent Bugliosis definitive book on the Manson saga as a very young teen, so that was familiar as well... and all the rest of it too, really, all of those cars were still on the road as a kid, all that music was still on the radio

Bruce Lee was still huge, I used to OD on his movies... and though Tarantino portrayed him badly, it was still cool to see him brought back to life so perfectly

Yeah this flic just clicks with me, might just put it on again today if I get tired of shark week...
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
While Cliff was the soul of the movie, Rick was the heart of the movie. Without Rick, there would have been no Cliff.

I'm surprised to see so many people pan LDC's performance and character. For me, it was absolutely mind blowing to actually SEE a real TV Series, Lancer, acted out by actors, who themselves are being portrayed by actors in a TV series within in a movie.

The way LDC seamlessly transitioned from Rick Dalton in Bounty Law to a criminal in Lancer, then back to Rick Dalton the person was simply amazing, IMO, and his performance was absolutely stellar.

As much as I've loved Brad Pitt's characters over the years, I always see Brad Pitt in the role. I didn't really see Cliff when Pitt was onscreen, I saw Pitt.

Yet LDC was essentially playing three different characters in the film and I saw each and every one of those and not Leonardo Di Caprio.
Having Easy's background knowledge on the Manson story and/or Dane's in-depth grasp of theater may have made this a different viewing for me. I came in looking for a Tarantino roller coaster ride and that didn't happen.

I really enjoy most everything Pitt, Leo, and QT have made. I was picturing another QT non-linear piece with his rich dialogue and "wow" moments typical of his films. There was some of that but it appears this one was nuanced in ways that didn't line up with me.
[Reply]
Easy 6 05:22 PM 04-05-2020
Having Easy's background knowledge on the Manson story and/or Dane's in-depth grasp of theater may have made this a different viewing for me. I came in looking for a Tarantino roller coaster ride and that didn't happen.

I really enjoy most everything Pitt, Leo, and QT have made. I was picturing another QT non-linear piece with his rich dialogue and "wow" moments typical of his films. There was some of that but it appears this one was nuanced in ways that didn't line up with me.
If you can’t dig this movie... EAT SHIT

Just tell me Jackie Browns in your top 3 and we’re still cool :-)
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 05:25 PM 04-05-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:

The way the integrated Leo's Dalton inside real tv shows and movies was superb.

Like 'The Great Escape' and the FBI Files tv show . I didnt realize that was actually Burt Reynolds until after i had seen the movie.
[Reply]
Page 20 of 22
« First < 101617181920 2122 >
Up