ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 37 of 460
« First < 273334353637 383940414787137 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official Bushwood Country Club Lounge***
smittysbar 11:49 AM 05-11-2008
Okay, here is a place for the Golfers to talk about tournaments, clubs, swing help or thoughts.

Today is the Players Championship, which I think ought to be the 5th Major. Largest pot in the PGA. The daunting 17th, which seems to bring excitement every year. At least we will get to see Sergio blow up yet again.

I am ready to see some water balls!
[Reply]
Miles 04:22 AM 06-25-2008
Originally Posted by BWillie007:
I read somewhere though that 95% of people have a shaft that is too stiff. Not sure how much truth there is for that. Some PGA Pro told me that because I didn't like graphite irons.
I wouldn't be surprised at all if that were roughly true. I think the understanding may be better these days but it just seems that many are using stiff when they don't have the swing speed or think that an x flex makes them seem more like a player.
[Reply]
Mr. Plow 08:34 AM 06-25-2008
I carry 3-PW - AW - 60 degree. I'd like to add in a traditional SW, but have never gotten around to getting one.

I hit my PW around 120 - I can get it 130 if I swing hard, but I prefer not to because I start missing left or right.

AW I can hit around 100 & my 60 degree I can get to about 75 or so.

Amazingly enough, I can get my 3/4 irons to about 120 as well. F#cking 3/4 iron.
[Reply]
smittysbar 10:33 AM 06-25-2008
Originally Posted by Miles:
Just curious if anyone is using 4 wedges and how that is working out. I carried the traditional driver, 3W, 2-PW, SW, LW for quite while but have been making some changes this week. Just picked up a long overdue 52* wedged to fill the 40 yd gap between my PW and SW and will likely drop my 2 and 3 iron for a hybrid.
I used to carry PW, 52, 56, and 60. Sold those wedges and now have 56 and 60, but need a 52 to fill the gap.
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 02:18 PM 06-25-2008
Originally Posted by Miles:
Just curious if anyone is using 4 wedges and how that is working out. I carried the traditional driver, 3W, 2-PW, SW, LW for quite while but have been making some changes this week. Just picked up a long overdue 52* wedged to fill the 40 yd gap between my PW and SW and will likely drop my 2 and 3 iron for a hybrid.

I was playing 4 wedges, and have since downsized to 3.

I was carrying a PW at 48* loft, then a 52, 56 and 60.

Now I'm carrying the PW, a Vokey spin-milled 54 (10 bounce) and a Vokey spin-milled 60. (4 bounce)

Works MUCH better for me.

I've got my distances down pat for a 7:30 swing, a 9:00 swing and a 10:30 swing. (Dave Pelz Short Game Bible)
[Reply]
kstater 03:20 PM 06-25-2008
I carry 4. PW SW 56 and 64.

I also don't play in tournaments and carry like 17 clubs though.
[Reply]
Lono 03:56 PM 06-25-2008
Not to get off topic here but, played in a tournament this weekend and was standing warming up to tee off on the first hole. A long par 3 was right next to the hole i was on when the 2nd guy to tee off hit a hole in one to win a brand new car. Dont remember the type but it was sweet looking and decked out. The dude wouldn't let there be any press on it either. I thought that was kinda shitty. Hey thanks you just donated a new car for me to win but there is no way im letting you get any press on it. I thought that was a real nice way to say thanks. Other than that the tourney was shitty, worst I may have ever played. Was just one of those days where everything goes wrong.
[Reply]
smittysbar 11:57 AM 06-26-2008
Originally Posted by Lono:
Not to get off topic here but, played in a tournament this weekend and was standing warming up to tee off on the first hole. A long par 3 was right next to the hole i was on when the 2nd guy to tee off hit a hole in one to win a brand new car. Dont remember the type but it was sweet looking and decked out. The dude wouldn't let there be any press on it either. I thought that was kinda shitty. Hey thanks you just donated a new car for me to win but there is no way im letting you get any press on it. I thought that was a real nice way to say thanks. Other than that the tourney was shitty, worst I may have ever played. Was just one of those days where everything goes wrong.
Thats awesome.

Still have never hit a hole-in-one :-)
[Reply]
smittysbar 09:33 AM 07-07-2008
Can't decide whether to play today or do some stuff that needs to get done. I have a tournament this weekend and didn't play a lick over the 4th weekend, need the practice.....okay talked myself into it.
[Reply]
Mr. Plow 09:54 AM 07-07-2008
Played last Monday in 4 man scramble. We played pretty well. Finished -2. 3rd place in 2nd tier. Shot a 68. Winner of the 1st tier shot a 58......and they complained that they "left some birdies out there".

Played last Thursday. Not well. Only played 9 and shot a damn 48.

Played last Friday morning. Did not play well at all. Somehow worse than the night before....but score didn't show it. I had a 10 on one hole. Long par 5. Off the tee....into a tree.....out of bounds. Off the tee again.....into the water. So I'm still 300 yards out hitting 5.....and it didn't improve on the hole.

I'm going to try to play Tuesday if I have time. Going to Disney World on Thursday, so I may not.

Smitty......look at it this way:

Work.........OR............Golf

Hmmmmm.......not a tough decision......:-)
[Reply]
Dartgod 10:07 AM 07-07-2008
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
I'm looking for a new driver and was out shopping today. I hit the TaylorMade Burner Draw driver, 9.5 loft with the regular shaft. I was hitting long, but kept pushing everything right. So I tried a regular Burner driver with a stiff shaft and was hitting long and pretty straight with just a little, but very manageable fade.

The problem is, the regular Burner driver is $299, a little out of my price range. The Draw driver is $199, but they didn't have one with the stiff shaft for me to demo.

Has anyone had any experience with these clubs? Since I was only hitting a slight fade with the regular club, is the draw driver with the proper shaft going to cause problems? Or is there a comparable club to the TaylorMade that you would recommend?

See the links below for the two clubs I am referencing.

Taylormade Burner:
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...ductId=2614370

TaylorMade Burner Draw:
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...ductId=2862798
I ended up getting the club I tested at Golf Discount. They were having a sale, $100 off the TaylorMade Burner. I got the one with the UST stiff shaft, rather than the Fuji-somethingorother RE-AX shaft. Excellent deal.

I played 18 yesterday and not too bad. I was struggling a bit off the tee. Not too bad, but not booming my drives like I did at the range. I did hit one nice one on a 499 yard par 5. I hit it to the 150 marker. Now, I don't believe for a second that the yardage was correct and that I hit a 350 yard drive. But I do believe I hit it every bit of 300 yards. Of course, it took me 5 more strokes to go that last 150 yards and I bogied the hole. :-)

I ended up with a 102 (with 3 or 4 penalty strokes for lost balls), which is pretty good for me considering this was only my second time out this year and the third time in the last two years.
[Reply]
smittysbar 10:07 AM 07-07-2008
Bad day of golf is better than a great day at work
[Reply]
Mr. Plow 10:08 AM 07-07-2008
Originally Posted by smittysbar:
Bad day of golf is better than a great day at work

Exactly.
[Reply]
smittysbar 10:10 AM 07-07-2008
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
I ended up getting the club I tested at Golf Discount. They were having a sale, $100 off the TaylorMade Burner. Excellent deal.

I played 18 yesterday and not too bad. I was struggling a bit off the tee. Not too bad, but not booming my drives like I did at the range. I did hit one nice one on a 499 yard par 5. I hit it to the 150 marker. Now, I don't believe for a second that the yardage was correct and that I hit a 350 yard drive. But I do believe I hit it every bit of 300 yards. Of course, it took me 5 more strokes to go that last 150 yards and I bogied the hole. :-)

I ended up with a 102 (with 3 or 4 penalty strokes for lost balls), which is pretty good for me considering this was only my second time out this year and the third time in the last two years.
I take it you are going to try and get out more to play, with the new addition in your bag. :-)
[Reply]
Dartgod 10:20 AM 07-07-2008
Originally Posted by smittysbar:
I take it you are going to try and get out more to play, with the new addition in your bag. :-)
Definitely. My wife is hooked more than I am. She has always struggled at golf, which is surprising, because she is quite athletic. She has always had a problem getting the ball in the air. Everything about her swing looks good except that 95% of her shots are worm-burners, no matter if she is hitting driver or 9 iron.

Anyway, we were at the range Saturday and she started off again hitting low shots. I had her move a little closer to the ball and it was like a switch went off! She was actually driving the ball with her driver and her lofted clubs were getting up in the air. I can't believe that something as simple as that fixed her problem.

So we went out and played yesterday and she was able to carry what she did on the range out on to the course. She shot 60/55 for a 115, by far the best I have ever seen her play. She had gotten pretty discouraged with the game and hadn't played for 3+ years. Now she can't wait to get back out again.
[Reply]
RNR 10:21 AM 07-07-2008
Mark Twain defined golf as “A good walk spoiled.”
I agree :-)
[Reply]
Page 37 of 460
« First < 273334353637 383940414787137 > Last »
Up