ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 30 of 40
« First < 202627282930 31323334 > Last »
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>The logic of drafting OT in the 1st.
Direckshun 01:23 PM 01-21-2021
What we know about this team is that it typically likes to fill its roster out as much as possible in free agency and then spend its highest picks on potential replacements for job openings a year down the road, and that includes Veach.

I doubt I even need to run down the list but:

2020: CEH --> Williams
2019: Hardman --> Hill/Watkins
2018: Speaks --> Ford/Houston
2017: Mahomes --> Smith

Fisher will be on the last year of his contract, and most of us suspect Schwartz retiring.

The Chiefs obviously like Niang but going OT 1st gives them the options:It just seems like the kind of move that gives them the flexibility in future decisions that they like to have.

I'd rather they go DE, even if it means trading up for one. But based on what we know, OT could ostensibly solve up to two different OL spots in 2021 and gives them all kinds of options in 2022 based on how 2021 goes.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:26 PM 02-06-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
Just saying what I was told.

I’d say Suggs is more outlier here thoigh. That’s super quick. I’d guess middle of next year with 2022 back to full health being more likely.

He and his wife are expecting their first and he’s made 70 million. Feels like he can get out now with full health and be set for life with his family. Again, things change so who knows but that’s just what I was told.
Well, if he retires, it's because he doesn't love football, he's just a guy that can play football for a massive amount of money.

Considering Reid's mantra about working with guys that live and breathe football, it would be a shock to see a guy like Fisher, who's at the top of the mountain for the second straight season, retire.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 02:30 PM 02-06-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I still think you guys are overlooking Martinas Rankin, who will start the Super Bowl at LT.

The Chiefs have one more year of cheap control and if he plays well tomorrow, I don’t think there’s any doubt that he’s the 2021 starting left tackle, at least until Fisher is healthy.
Man, I sincerely hope you're spot on with Martinas Rankin at LT. I really do. I REALLY, REALLY do.

I'm INCREDIBLY skeptical. I don't see it, I don't believe it, no-how, no way.

I would really LOVE to be wrong.
[Reply]
O.city 02:31 PM 02-06-2021
Well, if he retires, it's because he doesn't love football, he's just a guy that can play football for a massive amount of money.

Considering Reid's mantra about working with guys that live and breathe football, it would be a shock to see a guy like Fisher, who's at the top of the mountain for the second straight season, retire.
With all the head injury stuff now, it wouldn’t completely shock me. I am still skeptical he does but nothing surprises me anymore.

I can’t really say I’d blame any of them though if they wanna retire early like that. If they’re ok with their decision, who am I to question.

Shit if I had 70 million in the bank and was able to spend more time with my family, it’d be tough to keep grinding especially like they have to
[Reply]
Chris Meck 02:32 PM 02-06-2021
He just turned 30 years old so even if he misses the entire 2021 season, he'll only be 31 years old at the start of the 2022 season, not 32 going on 33.

He'll have at least 4 more years of play at a high level, so I'm not concerned about him, at all.

Achilles injuries aren't career ending anymore. Hell, Terrell Suggs tore his Achilles and was back on the field 5 months later.
I'm also concerned about the bad back. He was playing hurt a good chunk of the year and was obviously not himself.

I agree, a healthy Fisher and I'm not concerned about the LT position. I'm not sure that's a good bet anymore.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 02:36 PM 02-06-2021
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
I believe they signed him to a futures deal.

Edit: Maybe it was just a visit.
Britt was just a visit. Coming off of an ACL I think in 2019. He's a year younger than Fisher and has been a quality OL, making a pro bowl.

I would think that if he's back to healthy, this would be a REALLY smart pick-up. He's still just 29.

He could give you two or three years and at least the first year would be a cheap, prove-it deal.

But as of now, it's just a visit.
[Reply]
O.city 02:44 PM 02-06-2021
Philly is going full rebuild. Call them up about Dillard ?
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:53 PM 02-06-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
Man, I sincerely hope you're spot on with Martinas Rankin at LT. I really do. I REALLY, REALLY do.

I'm INCREDIBLY skeptical. I don't see it, I don't believe it, no-how, no way.

I would really LOVE to be wrong.
I mentioned it just after Fisher's injury and apparently, Andy Reid had the same thought.

:-)

But seriously, if Reid, the "old offensive line coach" is good with it, then I'm good with it, too.

Again, the Chiefs went 5-3 with freaking Cam Erving (and were a couple of possession from 7-1), so I'm sure Rankin will be fine and most likely, a huge improvement over Erving or they would have re-signed him as a Swing Tackle.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:55 PM 02-06-2021
Britt was just a visit. Coming off of an ACL I think in 2019. He's a year younger than Fisher and has been a quality OL, making a pro bowl.
FYI, Britt is only about 5 months younger than Fisher.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 02:55 PM 02-06-2021
man, there are two positions extremely high on your must acquire list when you rebuild a football team.

A Quarterback, and a Left Offensive Tackle.

Why in world would anyone trade away a quality LT that's under rookie contract for a #32 pick?

That will never happen unless they don't like the player, and in that case, we should be skeptical too.

Trading away young LT talent just doesn't happen until they get expensive. In which case, yeah, we still will not be able to afford that player and so we're out.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 02:57 PM 02-06-2021
FYI, Britt is only about 5 months younger than Fisher.
Yeah.

My questions about Fisher are not so much that he's getting too old; it's that he'll be over 30 with back problems now coming off an achilles.

Honestly, as far as 2022 is concerned, I'm more worried about the back problems. That's not good for 300 pound men. It doesn't get better, and when they start having those issues it's usually an ongoing thing from there on.

A healthy Fisher at 31 is fine, I agree.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:59 PM 02-06-2021
Man, this just isn't the way the Chiefs have built their offensive lines over the years.

They want young, raw guys with enough talent and athleticism to fit their scheme, hence LDT and Fulton (6th round), Allegretti (7th round) and Reiter (former 7th rounder that barely played before joining the Chiefs) and so on. Jason Kelce is another example.

I think there's a better than good chance that the Chiefs head into the season with maybe one lineman from the draft a couple of older guys that play for Vet Minimum, with the bulk of the offensive line returning for 2021, sans Fisher and Schwartz (whose status is still in question).
[Reply]
Chris Meck 02:59 PM 02-06-2021
I mentioned it just after Fisher's injury and apparently, Andy Reid had the same thought.

:-)

But seriously, if Reid, the "old offensive line coach" is good with it, then I'm good with it, too.

Again, the Chiefs went 5-3 with freaking Cam Erving (and were a couple of possession from 7-1), so I'm sure Rankin will be fine and most likely, a huge improvement over Erving or they would have re-signed him as a Swing Tackle.
I know. Honestly, I felt better with Wiz across from Suh personally.

In Reid I trust.

But it kind of scares the shit out of me.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 03:01 PM 02-06-2021
Yeah.

My questions about Fisher are not so much that he's getting too old; it's that he'll be over 30 with back problems now coming off an achilles.

Honestly, as far as 2022 is concerned, I'm more worried about the back problems. That's not good for 300 pound men. It doesn't get better, and when they start having those issues it's usually an ongoing thing from there on.

A healthy Fisher at 31 is fine, I agree.
Yeah but what are his back problems? Is it muscle pain or something more serious like spinal stenosis?

Fisher played lights out this season, despite suffering from a sore back, so it's hard for me to believe that his back issues are serious enough to make him retire.
[Reply]
O.city 03:02 PM 02-06-2021
Man, this just isn't the way the Chiefs have built their offensive lines over the years.

They want young, raw guys with enough talent and athleticism to fit their scheme, hence LDT and Fulton (6th round), Allegretti (7th round) and Reiter (former 7th rounder that barely played before joining the Chiefs) and so on. Jason Kelce is another example.

I think there's a better than good chance that the Chiefs head into the season with maybe one lineman from the draft a couple of older guys that play for Vet Minimum, with the bulk of the offensive line returning for 2021, sans Fisher and Schwartz (whose status is still in question).
They spent the first overall pick on their LT though and andy has always talked about the importance of the tackles.

We’ll see what they do. Hopefully they can figure something out.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 03:02 PM 02-06-2021

Listen, you're correct in talking about interior linemen. There's another thing they all in common-they pretty much all played OT in college. So clearly Reid is looking for particular skillsets.

In terms of OT however, that is NOT the way Reid has approached things. Fisher was #1 overall. Schwartz was a 2nd round pick and is now a handsomely paid RT. NFL level OT play is not the same thing as interior line play. It's a tougher skillset to find, and one that is much more valuable.
[Reply]
Page 30 of 40
« First < 202627282930 31323334 > Last »
Up