ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 28 of 40
« First < 182425262728 2930313238 > Last »
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>The logic of drafting OT in the 1st.
Direckshun 01:23 PM 01-21-2021
What we know about this team is that it typically likes to fill its roster out as much as possible in free agency and then spend its highest picks on potential replacements for job openings a year down the road, and that includes Veach.

I doubt I even need to run down the list but:

2020: CEH --> Williams
2019: Hardman --> Hill/Watkins
2018: Speaks --> Ford/Houston
2017: Mahomes --> Smith

Fisher will be on the last year of his contract, and most of us suspect Schwartz retiring.

The Chiefs obviously like Niang but going OT 1st gives them the options:It just seems like the kind of move that gives them the flexibility in future decisions that they like to have.

I'd rather they go DE, even if it means trading up for one. But based on what we know, OT could ostensibly solve up to two different OL spots in 2021 and gives them all kinds of options in 2022 based on how 2021 goes.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 12:25 PM 02-06-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
They’ll have their money they likely had slotted to pay them in the future. What they already paid is a sunk cost.

I’d imagine they have bookmarked funds for a T as it’s a pretty highly paid priority.

I’m not at all opposed to going young and developmental but if you could use 32 to fortify the spot at LT for a long time with a young proven vet I’d be interested for sure
in what world? You likely have two players rehabbing from injury. You still have to pay them. Their cap hits are still there. There is no money that gets freed up.

It's also a premium position, and nobody is going to give up a good young LT for the #32 pick. Not when your first or second order of business is to acquire a legit LT in team building 101.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 12:30 PM 02-06-2021
I guess you can cut them both and free up $25m or so with like $7 million in dead cap. By the way, we're estimated $18m over the 2021 cap at the moment.

There is no money to go get a legit starting LT in free agency.
[Reply]
The Franchise 12:35 PM 02-06-2021
Can you give a new contract to an injured player? Would they be able to sign Fisher to a small extension that keeps him around another year or two while he rehabs and lowers his cap hit this year?
[Reply]
kccrow 12:43 PM 02-06-2021
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Can you give a new contract to an injured player? Would they be able to sign Fisher to a small extension that keeps him around another year or two while he rehabs and lowers his cap hit this year?
They can, some they have given a void year to convert salary to bonus and spread it out over 2 years. A pure extension, I'm not sure I'd do it if I were the Chiefs, given the type of injury. They can even ask him to take a pure pay cut. Some players have in the past here.

I'd definitely be asking him to take a significant pay cut to keep him on the roster during rehab. Fisher doesn't have a ton of leverage there really because the Chiefs could say take a free couple million and stay on the roster or we can cut you and move on.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 12:44 PM 02-06-2021
I suppose.

Do you really want to do that?

I honestly don't know.

He's not likely to play in '21.

He'll be what, 33 in '22? And don't forget, he has a gimpy back too, he played hurt about half the year.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:05 PM 02-06-2021
I still think you guys are overlooking Martinas Rankin, who will start the Super Bowl at LT.

The Chiefs have one more year of cheap control and if he plays well tomorrow, I don’t think there’s any doubt that he’s the 2021 starting left tackle, at least until Fisher is healthy.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:08 PM 02-06-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I suppose.

Do you really want to do that?

I honestly don't know.

He's not likely to play in '21.

He'll be what, 33 in '22? And don't forget, he has a gimpy back too, he played hurt about half the year.
Fisher turned 30 in January 2021.

Considering there are plenty of offensive lineman that play at a high level well into their 30’s, missing a year with an Achilles shouldn’t hamper his career moving forward.

If the Chiefs happen to move on from him, which I highly doubt at this point, he’ll have a bevy of suitors.
[Reply]
O.city 01:19 PM 02-06-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I still think you guys are overlooking Martinas Rankin, who will start the Super Bowl at LT.

The Chiefs have one more year of cheap control and if he plays well tomorrow, I don’t think there’s any doubt that he’s the 2021 starting left tackle, at least until Fisher is healthy.
Remmers is going to Lt I think
[Reply]
O.city 01:20 PM 02-06-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Fisher turned 30 in January 2021.

Considering there are plenty of offensive lineman that play at a high level well into their 30’s, missing a year with an Achilles shouldn’t hamper his career moving forward.

If the Chiefs happen to move on from him, which I highly doubt at this point, he’ll have a bevy of suitors.
Friend of a friend kinda thing, but he was planning on retiring after this current contract. Atleast that’s what this person was told. I’m not sure if he was serious about it but this person would know as well as anyone.

If that’s the case the chiefs will have to find something there long term
[Reply]
O.city 01:21 PM 02-06-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I guess you can cut them both and free up $25m or so with like $7 million in dead cap. By the way, we're estimated $18m over the 2021 cap at the moment.

There is no money to go get a legit starting LT in free agency.
We said the same thing this time last year

Then Jones got paid and Mahomes and whoever. They’ll figure out the money
[Reply]
The Franchise 01:25 PM 02-06-2021
Remmers is going to Lt I think
For a report that was posted last night....it’s Rankin at LT and Remmers at RT.
[Reply]
O.city 01:32 PM 02-06-2021
For a report that was posted last night....it’s Rankin at LT and Remmers at RT.
Interesting
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:39 PM 02-06-2021
Interesting
It's what I've been saying since Fisher's injury nearly 2 weeks ago.

They don't need to move Remmers from Right to Left nor Wylie from inside to outside if they start Rankin at LT.

Rankin played well with 2nd and 3rd teamers against San Diego but if for some reason he struggles, Andy can always flip the line around but I'd be surprised if that happens because he's all about continuity.
[Reply]
RunKC 01:46 PM 02-06-2021
They need a legit guy day one there. I dunno maybe one of those guys are that but that’s a risk.

At this point it may be one you just have to take and rely on your coaching staff.

I’d still look around via trade though. If fisher and Schwartz are done, use their money and 32 to see what you can get. The Lt from Detroit is interesting if they wanna really tear down.
Fisher isn’t done dude lmao. He just turned 30. Yeah he’s gonna miss time but this type of injury isn’t going to end his career.

The guy is an OT, not a WR. This isn’t DJ either. LB is a way different animal that requires extensive athleticism in space. Most of the time he’s blocking in a 10 yard radius. The guy was one of the most athletic OT’s before this. He isn’t just going to fall off a cliff.

Schwartz is likely done if not for some miracle. I’ve seen that we save $6 million alone from his release. Get Niang back, resign Remmers and keep bringing in more prospects like the Auburn kid.

We’ll be fine
[Reply]
O.city 01:48 PM 02-06-2021
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Fisher isn’t done dude lmao. He just turned 30. Yeah he’s gonna miss time but this type of injury isn’t going to end his career.

They guy is an OT, not a WR. This isn’t DJ either. LB is a way different animal that requires extensive athleticism in space. Most of the time he’s blocking in a 10 yard radius. The guy was one of the most athletic OT’s before this. He isn’t just going to fall off a cliff.

Schwartz is likely done if not for some miracle. I’ve seen that we save $6 million alone from his release. Get Niang back, resign Remmers and keep bringing in more prospects like the Auburn kid.

We’ll be fine
A LT is on an island blocking the most physically gifted athletes in the world. And Achilles is probably the worst possible injury for a player these days. Once he’s recovered and ready to go, he’ll be 32 and needing a mew contract coming off injury.

He may very well come back and be fine. But I’d be looking at all my options
[Reply]
Page 28 of 40
« First < 182425262728 2930313238 > Last »
Up