ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 18 of 40
« First < 81415161718 1920212228 > Last »
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>The logic of drafting OT in the 1st.
Direckshun 01:23 PM 01-21-2021
What we know about this team is that it typically likes to fill its roster out as much as possible in free agency and then spend its highest picks on potential replacements for job openings a year down the road, and that includes Veach.

I doubt I even need to run down the list but:

2020: CEH --> Williams
2019: Hardman --> Hill/Watkins
2018: Speaks --> Ford/Houston
2017: Mahomes --> Smith

Fisher will be on the last year of his contract, and most of us suspect Schwartz retiring.

The Chiefs obviously like Niang but going OT 1st gives them the options:It just seems like the kind of move that gives them the flexibility in future decisions that they like to have.

I'd rather they go DE, even if it means trading up for one. But based on what we know, OT could ostensibly solve up to two different OL spots in 2021 and gives them all kinds of options in 2022 based on how 2021 goes.
[Reply]
The Franchise 04:47 PM 01-30-2021
I don’t see why the Lions trade Decker. He’s 26 and can protect whatever QB they decide to go with.
[Reply]
staylor26 04:48 PM 01-30-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
That may be, as I've never sat down to actually watch him play. I remember being surprised that he lasted until the 3rd round after playing well at Oklahoma but I lost track of him until just this week.

I saw the Tweet earlier this week and knowing that he was drafted and coached by Harbaugh, thought he'd be a guy that could step in and start immediately.

It's too bad that he's not a scheme fit because at age 24, he's already been a two time Pro Bowler.
Don’t get me wrong, it’s still a great thought and well worth a discussion. I wouldn’t completely rule it out.

At the end of the day, I think the Chiefs end up drafting a T somewhere in the first 2 days, likely in round 1 or 2.

If you can hit on Niang and another young T, that would really help us financially for the next few years.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:56 AM 02-01-2021
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Don’t get me wrong, it’s still a great thought and well worth a discussion. I wouldn’t completely rule it out.

At the end of the day, I think the Chiefs end up drafting a T somewhere in the first 2 days, likely in round 1 or 2.

If you can hit on Niang and another young T, that would really help us financially for the next few years.
For sure, if you can get cheaper at tackle, it gives you a lot of flexibility to go get playmakers. Fisher and Schwartz are the 5th and 8th-highest cap hits on the team, respectively.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 10:05 AM 02-01-2021
Originally Posted by staylor26:

This is why I really think it's going to be an OT at #32.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:08 AM 02-01-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
This is why I really think it's going to be an OT at #32.
It certainly makes sense, provided there's an appropriate player there.
[Reply]
RunKC 10:27 AM 02-01-2021
There were rumors that an OT could be on the table last year and Ezra Cleveland was a name to look out for.

I bet he was on the draft board, just not high enough to garner the 32nd pick. But this year I’m not sure if OT will be worth it at 32. It obviously needs to be a worthy pick instead of a need but I trust Veach to make that call.

We’ve got Niang, hopefully Remmers, Prince Tega-Wanogho and Yasir Durant along with other guys who can play tackle in a pinch such as Wylie, Rankin and LDT.

Maybe Veach can get a trade with a team that drafted an OT and new leadership is willing to part with them while they are still on their rookie deal like we did with Rankin?
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:42 AM 02-01-2021
Originally Posted by RunKC:
There were rumors that an OT could be on the table last year and Ezra Cleveland was a name to look out for.

I bet he was on the draft board, just not high enough to garner the 32nd pick. But this year I’m not sure if OT will be worth it at 32. It obviously needs to be a worthy pick instead of a need but I trust Veach to make that call.

We’ve got Niang, hopefully Remmers, Prince Tega-Wanogho and Yasir Durant along with other guys who can play tackle in a pinch such as Wylie, Rankin and LDT.

Maybe Veach can get a trade with a team that drafted an OT and new leadership is willing to part with them while they are still on their rookie deal like we did with Rankin?
Like Taylor Moton?
[Reply]
Hoover 01:57 PM 02-01-2021
If Veach can do with the o-line group what he's done with the DBs, we might as well start naming streets after him. I'd love to see it.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 03:25 PM 02-01-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Like Taylor Moton?

:swoons:

I do wonder if the Eagles are motivated to trading Lane Johnson.

They need to trim so much cap, it’s going to be tough and require creativity.

Johnson is 30 and still has a lot left in the tank. He’s under a solid contract that would be a little less tough to scrunch under the cap than signing Moton probably would be.
[Reply]
O.city 04:13 PM 02-01-2021
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
:swoons:

I do wonder if the Eagles are motivated to trading Lane Johnson.

They need to trim so much cap, it’s going to be tough and require creativity.

Johnson is 30 and still has a lot left in the tank. He’s under a solid contract that would be a little less tough to scrunch under the cap than signing Moton probably would be.
If we can get out from under Schwartz if he's done, I'd absolutely look to trade form a guy that another team needs to move from.

This year the vet market could be nice.
[Reply]
htismaqe 04:13 PM 02-01-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
If we can get out from under Schwartz if he's done, I'd absolutely look to trade form a guy that another team needs to move from.

This year the vet market could be nice.
I don't see them trading for anybody. Picking up cheap free agents, sure.
[Reply]
O.city 04:17 PM 02-01-2021
I don't see them trading for anybody. Picking up cheap free agents, sure.
If they think Fisher is done and don't intend to bring him back, 32 for a young LT under contract elsewhere would be nice.

I'm just not as worried about the money this offseason. They'll figure it out.
[Reply]
htismaqe 04:22 PM 02-01-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
If they think Fisher is done and don't intend to bring him back, 32 for a young LT under contract elsewhere would be nice.

I'm just not as worried about the money this offseason. They'll figure it out.
This isn't a normal year.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 05:11 PM 02-01-2021
If the cap stays flat - what I think is going to happen - it will end up being a pretty normal year.

KC has flexibility with Jones to restructure if needed and free up a lot of room. Pair that with an extension of Mathieu and some potential cap relief from Fisher and Schwartz, and KC will have some room to manuever.
[Reply]
O.city 05:16 PM 02-01-2021
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
If the cap stays flat - what I think is going to happen - it will end up being a pretty normal year.

KC has flexibility with Jones to restructure if needed and free up a lot of room. Pair that with an extension of Mathieu and some potential cap relief from Fisher and Schwartz, and KC will have some room to manuever.
This.

I just think they've got so much room to maneuver stuff around.
[Reply]
Page 18 of 40
« First < 81415161718 1920212228 > Last »
Up