ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 12 of 40
« First < 289101112 1314151622 > Last »
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>The logic of drafting OT in the 1st.
Direckshun 01:23 PM 01-21-2021
What we know about this team is that it typically likes to fill its roster out as much as possible in free agency and then spend its highest picks on potential replacements for job openings a year down the road, and that includes Veach.

I doubt I even need to run down the list but:

2020: CEH --> Williams
2019: Hardman --> Hill/Watkins
2018: Speaks --> Ford/Houston
2017: Mahomes --> Smith

Fisher will be on the last year of his contract, and most of us suspect Schwartz retiring.

The Chiefs obviously like Niang but going OT 1st gives them the options:It just seems like the kind of move that gives them the flexibility in future decisions that they like to have.

I'd rather they go DE, even if it means trading up for one. But based on what we know, OT could ostensibly solve up to two different OL spots in 2021 and gives them all kinds of options in 2022 based on how 2021 goes.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 07:54 PM 01-26-2021
The Chiefs must have liked what they saw on the Practice Squad from Wanogho

The #Chiefs have signed OT Prince Tega Wanogho to a future contract.

— Nick Jacobs (@Jacobs71) January 26, 2021

[Reply]
Megatron96 08:11 PM 01-26-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:

Guy needs to eat a ton of twinkies. Not near big enough.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 08:14 PM 01-26-2021
He's 6'5" 309 pounds. How is that "not near big enough"
[Reply]
mkp785 08:15 PM 01-26-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:

This is some good news. I remember him coming out. He had 1st round ability back in Auburn. He was inconsistent if I remember the knocks on him. Franchise LT (at only 23) was his ceiling though....
[Reply]
Megatron96 08:25 PM 01-26-2021
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
He's 6'5" 309 pounds. How is that "not near big enough"
He's a tackle. Our tackles are slightly undersized, at about 320. Typical WCO OTs. Check out Trent Brown. Or some of the tackles for the best OLs. Hell, KO is huge (335) compared to most of the guys on our OL.

He could use a few cheeseburgers is all I'm saying. About 15-20 lbs. worth.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 08:35 PM 01-26-2021
Bahktari is 6'4 310
Conklin is 6'6 308

Both All Pros this year.

He's perfectly fine where he's at.

Trent Brown is about the fucking last person I want my OL modeling their size after. He ballooned to almost 400 lbs this Offseason and seems to spend most of his time milking injuries instead of playing out of laziness.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:20 PM 01-26-2021
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
He's a tackle. Our tackles are slightly undersized, at about 320. Typical WCO OTs. Check out Trent Brown. Or some of the tackles for the best OLs. Hell, KO is huge (335) compared to most of the guys on our OL.

He could use a few cheeseburgers is all I'm saying. About 15-20 lbs. worth.
in a world where half of the teams in the NFL run a 3-4, and even most 4-3 ends are like 260? Nah.
[Reply]
Megatron96 09:20 PM 01-26-2021
Never actually advocated bringing Brown to KC, so not sure what your issue is. But the fact remains that he's huge, and when healthy he's basically a stone wall at tackle. Hell, Schwartz is about 325-330?

Denver Broncos' linebacker and Super Bowl MVP Von Miller said, "I feel like Trent Brown has a very bright future in the National Football League. He's 6-foot-8. He knows how to use his arms, knows how to use his wingspan and he has length. So I feel like he's young and people haven’t really seen him, but I feel like he’s one of the better tackles in the National Football League."[10][11][12] On August 16, 2017, Miller made a similar remark about Brown to the San Francisco Chronicle after the Broncos and 49ers had a joint practice, stating,

"He's the best right tackle in the National Football League! And he may even be a top-five tackle, period, in the National Football League. There’s not another tackle who’s that tall, that big and can move the way he moves.”

Brown started all 16 regular season games for the 49ers in 2016.

After playing right tackle during his tenure with the 49ers, Brown became the Patriots starting left tackle in 2018, starting all 16 games. With Brown, the Patriots reached and went on to win Super Bowl LIII.

In his first 11 games with the Raiders, Brown allowed only one sack in 326 pass-blocking snaps. On December 17, 2019, Brown was named a Pro Bowl selection for the first time of his career.

Bottom line, bigger=harder to get around and tougher to set the edge against. Be nice to be able to run off-tackle consistently and have enough beef on the edge to keep the TJ Watt's of the world off our 500 million dollar QB.

Just a thought.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:23 PM 01-26-2021
Never actually advocated bringing Brown to KC, so not sure what your issue is. But the fact remains that he's huge, and when healthy he's basically a stone wall at tackle. Hell, Schwartz is about 325-330?

Denver Broncos' linebacker and Super Bowl MVP Von Miller said, "I feel like Trent Brown has a very bright future in the National Football League. He's 6-foot-8. He knows how to use his arms, knows how to use his wingspan and he has length. So I feel like he's young and people haven’t really seen him, but I feel like he’s one of the better tackles in the National Football League."[10][11][12] On August 16, 2017, Miller made a similar remark about Brown to the San Francisco Chronicle after the Broncos and 49ers had a joint practice, stating,

"He's the best right tackle in the National Football League! And he may even be a top-five tackle, period, in the National Football League. There’s not another tackle who’s that tall, that big and can move the way he moves.”

Brown started all 16 regular season games for the 49ers in 2016.

After playing right tackle during his tenure with the 49ers, Brown became the Patriots starting left tackle in 2018, starting all 16 games. With Brown, the Patriots reached and went on to win Super Bowl LIII.

In his first 11 games with the Raiders, Brown allowed only one sack in 326 pass-blocking snaps. On December 17, 2019, Brown was named a Pro Bowl selection for the first time of his career.

Bottom line, bigger=harder to get around and tougher to set the edge against. Be nice to be able to run off-tackle consistently and have enough beef on the edge to keep the TJ Watt's of the world off our 500 million dollar QB.

Just a thought.
I think the key there is being able to move. at 6'8" with long arms, yeah, you can carry 330 well. I think it's the length and the strength more than the actual scale weight at a certain point.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 09:34 PM 01-26-2021
Yeah, the problem is he's rarely healty and it's not a stretch to say it mostly stems from him being too big.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 09:36 PM 01-26-2021

Before the Contract:
After the Contract:#Raiders #RaiderNation #NFL pic.twitter.com/7x8WIFNj69

— Nuggs! (@Nuggs4Real) January 6, 2021

Just putting on weight really doesn't make that much of a difference, and can actually be a major hindrance in some cases.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:43 PM 01-26-2021
anyway, back to the OP-

In Veach I trust.

But I will say this- the idea of taking an OT at #32 somehow being a 'reach' isn't true I don't think. Unless all the mocks are wrong, there are some quality OT's that should be available in that range. So taking one wouldn't be a "reach".

Also, we've seen Veach "reach" according to experts before, and be right.

So you know. In Veach I trust.

Carry on.
[Reply]
Megatron96 09:46 PM 01-26-2021
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Yeah, the problem is he's rarely healty and it's not a stretch to say it mostly stems from him being too big.
Where do I say Prince has to be as big as Brown? I think I specifically said something about "15-20 lbs. bigger." Which would make him about 325-329? About the size of one of the two guys you listed earlier? Hell, he'd be about the same size as Schwartz.

here's the thing: part of the reason our OL gets pushed around by some DLs is that they're smaller. Which should make them more athletic, which Reid likes, I get it, and I don't have a problem with it. But within that, it would be nice if our tackles were just a bit bigger, while still being athletic, like one of those guys you listed, just so they wouldn't get pushed around quite so often, right? Maybe have our Gs eat a few donuts as well (in reality we're talking about muscle mass, but you get the idea). We're talking about 15-20 lbs. Maybe with that extra size and sheer momentum they open a few more holes per game, hold off a few more pass rushes. You know, make things a little bit easier for Patrick. a couple less snaps where he's forced to run for his life. A couple more snaps where CEH gets 2-3 yards instead of zero or minus 1.

And all just by stacking on a few more pounds of meat. Instead of having to go find a brand new T in the draft that may or may not turn out to be worth the pick.

Came to this idea after watching KO literally knocking defenders backwards early this season. "Wow, what a difference 20 lbs. can make" . . .
[Reply]
mkp785 10:13 PM 01-26-2021
Where do I say Prince has to be as big as Brown? I think I specifically said something about "15-20 lbs. bigger." Which would make him about 325-329? About the size of one of the two guys you listed earlier? Hell, he'd be about the same size as Schwartz.

here's the thing: part of the reason our OL gets pushed around by some DLs is that they're smaller. Which should make them more athletic, which Reid likes, I get it, and I don't have a problem with it. But within that, it would be nice if our tackles were just a bit bigger, while still being athletic, like one of those guys you listed, just so they wouldn't get pushed around quite so often, right? Maybe have our Gs eat a few donuts as well (in reality we're talking about muscle mass, but you get the idea). We're talking about 15-20 lbs. Maybe with that extra size and sheer momentum they open a few more holes per game, hold off a few more pass rushes. You know, make things a little bit easier for Patrick. a couple less snaps where he's forced to run for his life. A couple more snaps where CEH gets 2-3 yards instead of zero or minus 1.

And all just by stacking on a few more pounds of meat. Instead of having to go find a brand new T in the draft that may or may not turn out to be worth the pick.

Came to this idea after watching KO literally knocking defenders backwards early this season. "Wow, what a difference 20 lbs. can make" . . .
Have you read some scouting reports on Prince? ALOT of them have the words: "he shouldn't be able to move like this at his size" He came here to play basketball and found football instead. He had the lazy tag coming out or he would've gone in the 1st in a very good tackle class.

IDK if he's lazy or not but being w/ the champs who have shown an ability to get the most out of "scrubish" players has to be night and day from the Eagles. To your point, he probably could stand to add some weight. I don't know if 15-20 is needed but adding some lbs to his base wouldn't hurt.
[Reply]
Megatron96 10:20 PM 01-26-2021
Originally Posted by mkp785:
Have you read some scouting reports on Prince? ALOT of them have the words: "he shouldn't be able to move like this at his size" He came here to play basketball and found football instead. He had the lazy tag coming out or he would've gone in the 1st in a very good tackle class.

IDK if he's lazy or not but being w/ the champs who have shown an ability to get the most out of "scrubish" players has to be night and day from the Eagles. To your point, he probably could stand to add some weight. I don't know if 15-20 is needed but adding some lbs to his base wouldn't hurt.
May have. Don't recall now. But the "basketball" thing seems to ring a bell. But adding 15 lbs of muscle to him won't hurt his agility, I think. Just put a little more sand in his ass.
[Reply]
Page 12 of 40
« First < 289101112 1314151622 > Last »
Up