ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 15
« First < 23456 78910 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs draft rumor & plans for virtual draft
RunKC 08:50 AM 04-03-2020
Saw some news today I thought I’d share.

From Matt Miller’s article this morning:

Originally Posted by :
KANSAS CITY: The word on the scouting streets is that general manager Brett Veach wants to add more premium targets for Patrick Mahomes at quarterback, but don't rule out a trade back from No. 32 overall. Many sources around the league believe the Chiefs could move out of the first and pick up valuable Day 2 selections to pick up starter-level players at cornerback and running back.
From Nate Taylor (yes the athletic is free right now):

Originally Posted by :

In the past couple of weeks, after coaches, team personnel and players were encouraged to work from home, Reid, 62, has enjoyed learning the videoconference technology from companies such as Zoom and Webex. He, along with Veach, have interviewed some draft prospects via Webex. Coaches meetings have taken place on Zoom.

Reid knows it’s possible the Chiefs could make their draft selections with everyone at their respective homes. Teams were informed by the league Thursday that coaches, executives and scouts might be allowed to return to their facility for the draft with only 10 people in each room and everyone distanced at least 6 feet apart. The New Orleans Saints have planned to hold their war room at a brewery. Reid said the Chiefs are considering having their war room at a local hotel with certain people in different rooms.

“We haven’t put our finger down on one thing as of yet,” Reid said. “We’re approaching it like we’re having a season. At the same time, we’re very sensitive to everything going on.”

Reid agreed with the league’s decision to not postpone the draft. Beyond interviewing prospects via Webex, Reid is confident that Veach and the team’s scouting department can properly evaluate the talent in this year’s draft class. And when asked whether the draft could uplift fans’ emotions during the pandemic, Reid believed one of the league’s biggest annual events can be a welcome distraction.
The hotel idea sounds great.
[Reply]
DrRyan 04:25 PM 04-04-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
And that would be awful use of valuable resources, especially for a team whose salary cap is very Top Heavy and needs to select great players, regardless of position, with their limited number of draft choices.

For example, a great GM won't choose the 10th best offensive lineman when the #4 WR or #2 RB in this class are available when the Chiefs make their selection.

You want to see better protection for Mahomes? Get him another highly skilled RB and WR in this draft
That will definitely, single handedly remedy the pass rush up the middle. Got it.

No one, or very few, are suggesting reaching for a position group. This draft is so much deeper at WR and RB than LB, IOL and CB. Get value, don't reach but definitely don't punt on drafting IOL at some point this draft.
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 04:26 PM 04-04-2020
Originally Posted by OKchiefs:
Hardman should be the replacement for Watkins. Next year we can draft a receiver or add someone in free agency.
You draft a reciever this year. Deepest Reciever draft in history
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:26 PM 04-04-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
I don't really agree on the RB part, but in general i agree. If there is a WR you love that falls to 32? Take him. If there's a great CB there take him.

The teams that draft at the end of the rounds that draft well, draft the best players and fit things around them. Draft and development is what we are all about now in KC.
If Taylor, Dobbins or Swift are all sitting at #32 overall, I'd expect Veach to take one at #32 or trade back and take one at #40 or whatever.

I posted Reid's RB draft history earlier in this thread which shows that Reid routinely took running backs in the third round and a few in the second. With Damien Williams injury history and the other maybe *average* RB on the roster, I'd say it's a good bet they'll take a RB in the first three rounds.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:27 PM 04-04-2020
Originally Posted by DrRyan:
That will definitely, single handedly remedy the pass rush up the middle. Got it.
I thoroughly disagree with your "take".

The Chiefs just won the Super Bowl with a rotating offensive line from Left Tackle to Right Guard, yet so many of you people think the Chiefs need to spend high draft capital on a center or guard.

That's just dumb.
[Reply]
Coogs 04:38 PM 04-04-2020
Shoot, it says right there in the last sentence of the first quote in the OP that many sources around the NFL expect the Chiefs to draft a RB who is of starter quality.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 04:50 PM 04-04-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
I don't really agree on the RB part, but in general i agree. If there is a WR you love that falls to 32? Take him. If there's a great CB there take him.

The teams that draft at the end of the rounds that draft well, draft the best players and fit things around them. Draft and development is what we are all about now in KC.

This nails it. You take the best talent available to you. Reaching based on need is how you blow picks.

The idea that Hardman can replace Watkins next year is a great one, but he also isn’t the same type of physical, classic X receiver. There are a BUNCH of those types in this draft. And a rookie or a FA is going to take some time to acclimate to this system and Mahomes. Saying just “take a WR next year” doesn’t account for whether the class is as deep or talented and whether as good a talent is available to you.

If Justin Jefferson or Denzel Mims - big, physical X receiver types who also have the initial quickness to separate like a traditional slot guy - are available, I think that’s value that’s incredibly hard to pass up.

If I’ve got a choice between Patrick Queen or Kenneth Murray and Jefferson, Mims, Higgins, Swift, and Dobbins, I take the LB. and so would the Chiefs.

Think the same is true if the right CB is there.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 04:52 PM 04-04-2020

The Chiefs just won the Super Bowl with a rotating offensive line from Left Tackle to Right Guard, yet so many of you people think the Chiefs need to spend high draft capital on a center or guard.

That's just dumb.
All intents and purposes I have no problems drafting an IOL, but drafting a feature RB is also very important to aid Mahomes' health through the regular season. Patrick's load management is also critical. NFL Live talked about that when Sean Payton was discussing how to keep Brees upright too.
[Reply]
RunKC 04:55 PM 04-04-2020

That's just dumb.
This is true. A big part of that is Mahomes ability to escape and create time. He’s usually adding at least 2 seconds to plays that he routinely does that. I get that people will bring up early season struggles, but Pat’s ankle injury was a bigger part of the problem.

I want a RB, just not at 32.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:55 PM 04-04-2020
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
If I’ve got a choice between Patrick Queen or Kenneth Murray and Jefferson, Mims, Higgins, Swift, and Dobbins, I take the LB. and so would the Chiefs.

Think the same is true if the right CB is there.
This draft is so limited in terms sideline-to-sideline linebackers that I just can't see Queen or Baun or Murray at #32 but if they are, they have to be in consideration for sure.

There will be plenty of WR's in the second and third rounds but I don't think we'll see guys like Dobbins, Swift and Taylor in the late second, and that probably holds true for Akers as well.

The offense really needs a 16 game true Feature Back and while there's a lot of depth and guys that can share duties successfully, it would be luck if a guy like that slipped all the way down to 96.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:57 PM 04-04-2020
Originally Posted by RunKC:
This is true. A big part of that is Mahomes ability to escape and create time. He’s usually adding at least 2 seconds to plays that he routinely does that. I get that people will bring up early season struggles, but Pat’s ankle injury was a bigger part of the problem.

I want a RB, just not at 32.
I don't think I'd take Akers at 32 but if Taylor or Dobbins or Swift are sitting there, I think there has to be a major discussion about taking one of them.

I can't even imagine what Reid could do with Taylor's speed and ability.
[Reply]
oldman 05:06 PM 04-04-2020
And that would be awful use of valuable resources, especially for a team whose salary cap is very Top Heavy and needs to select great players, regardless of position, with their limited number of draft choices.

For example, a great GM won't choose the 10th best offensive lineman when the #4 WR or #2 RB in this class are available when the Chiefs make their selection.

You want to see better protection for Mahomes? Get him another highly skilled RB and WR in this draft.
I'm not saying to take the 10th best OL over a #4 WR, what I am saying is look at the options available at #32. If the best option is a #4 LB, take that guy over the #4 WR. If the best option is a #1 or 2 OL, yes you take him instead of a skill player. A "highly skilled" WR isn't going to be much of a protection blocker.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 05:08 PM 04-04-2020
Originally Posted by oldman:
I'm not saying to take the 10th best OL over a #4 WR, what I am saying is look at the options available at #32. If the best option is a #4 LB, take that guy over the #4 WR.
Good God, just no
[Reply]
Easy 6 05:22 PM 04-04-2020
Originally Posted by OKchiefs:
Hardman should be the replacement for Watkins. Next year we can draft a receiver or add someone in free agency.
I love Hardman, but am not yet convinced he can handle full time #2 duties at 5’10 185... he’s not built like a little tank, like Reek
[Reply]
DrRyan 05:39 PM 04-04-2020

That's just dumb.
Shocking response, Dane immediately goes calling someone who disagrees with him dumb. I was eagerly awaiting your response explaining how a highly skilled WR or RB leads to better protection for Pat.

It's a pretty simple value proposition. The difference between a 1st or 3-4th round RB, compared to 1st or 3-4th round CB/LB. The drop off is so much steeper at nearly every other position than RB. LB/CB then RB/OL is so much more likely to make the team better than RB first and lesser talent at the other 3 spots in later rounds. Give me any of Akers, CEH, Moss, or few others over Swift/Taylor/Dobbins at 32.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 05:44 PM 04-04-2020
Shocking response, Dane immediately goes calling someone who disagrees with him dumb. I was eagerly awaiting your response explaining how a highly skilled WR or RB leads to better protection for Pat.
And clearly, you can't read because I did not call *you* dumb.

But it's fairly obvious that you're not too bright and thanks for clearing that part up.

It's a pretty simple value proposition. The difference between a 1st or 3-4th round RB, compared to 1st or 3-4th round CB/LB. The drop off is so much steeper at nearly every other position than RB. LB/CB then RB/OL is so much more likely to make the team better than RB first and lesser talent at the other 3 spots in later rounds. Give me any of Akers, CEH, Moss, or few others over Swift/Taylor/Dobbins at 32.
And yet last offseason, Veach was able to round up a bunch of average CB's off the scrap heap that were good enough to help win a Super Bowl yet the offense stalled and had issues due to William's health, McCoy's fumblitis, along with "meh" players like Darrel Williams and Thompson.

The Chiefs may have an opportunity to draft a Game Changing RB or WR at #32 or if they trade back, within the Top 40ish.

The same won't be said for a CB or LB or IOL at that same draft slot.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 15
« First < 23456 78910 > Last »
Up