ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 21
« First < 23456 7891016 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Sammy Watkins will officially be back
carcosa 03:39 AM 04-03-2020

The Chiefs have reached an agreement with Sammy Watkins on a new 1-year deal that will pay him a base of $9m for 2020 with an incentive package that can reach $16m, a source tells me.

The move creates $5m in cap space for the Chiefs to operate this offseason.

— Terez A. Paylor (@TerezPaylor) April 3, 2020

I think this is nice!
[Reply]
BigRedChief 07:52 AM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by Marco Polo:
You sign free agents for need, you draft best player available
That's an old dogma.

We don't need to draft a WR in the first two rounds even if its the best available. Because of Mahomes, we will attract quality WR's.

We still desperately need

A quality corner
A coverage linebacker
Interior OL help
[Reply]
bowener 07:55 AM 04-03-2020
Man, this is a bigger deal than it seems. Our offense gets to come in week 1 ready to fucking roll heads. There may be next to know preseason or training camp. League wide defenses are going to suck ass for a bunch of games, meanwhile Patrick will be racking up records left and right. Our defense is going to suffer too, especially if Jones doesn't make it back, but I have faith our offense will fuck shit up.
[Reply]
WhawhaWhat 07:57 AM 04-03-2020

Watkins’ postseason incentives breakdown:
—8TDs and team makes playoffs: $750k
—65 catches + playoffs: $750k
—800yds + playoffs: $750k
—AFC Champ win (50% snaps in game): $1.25m
—65 catches + AFC Champ: $1.25m
—800 yds + AFC Champ: $1.25m

— Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) April 3, 2020

[Reply]
suzzer99 08:03 AM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by Chiefnj2:
If there is no season, does anyone get paid?
This is what I've been wondering too. Has anyone heard that the plan is?
[Reply]
Shields68 08:05 AM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by tyecopeland:
We were going to be paying him 7 mil regardless so only paying him 9 mil to actually play for us is a great deal. Now because it's being reported we are only saving 5 mil in space that must mean that all of the incentives are listed as likely to be earned which will still count against our cap. But if he doesnt hit them, then we will get that money back on next years cap. I'm guessing this actually clears more space than that though with some of the incentives being declared unlikely to be earned.
Don't think this is right. The 7 cap hit was going to happen it was the prorated part of his signing bonus. He dropped his salary from 14 to 9. Which accounts for the 5 million cap savings. The 7 million in incentives are then unlikely to be earned since there is a 5 million cap savings. Though given he had a so so regular season last year, he probably is betting on significant improvement and reaching some or all the incentives. A lot of figures indicated he should be around 10-11 million a year so he bet 1-2 million to win 7 milion.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:06 AM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
This is what I've been wondering too. Has anyone heard that the plan is?
Guaranteed parts of contracts are paid regardless. All sports are paying their athletes whatever was guaranteed in their contracts.
[Reply]
staylor26 08:08 AM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by bowener:
Man, this is a bigger deal than it seems. Our offense gets to come in week 1 ready to fucking roll heads. There may be next to know preseason or training camp. League wide defenses are going to suck ass for a bunch of games, meanwhile Patrick will be racking up records left and right. Our defense is going to suffer too, especially if Jones doesn't make it back, but I have faith our offense will fuck shit up.
But for the most part our defense will also have continuity.
[Reply]
Shields68 08:13 AM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Guaranteed parts of contracts are paid regardless. All sports are paying their athletes whatever was guaranteed in their contracts.
So far, but most have some language to account for natural disasters etc. If this lingers on for the whole season good chance teams test that language on whether they have to pay. Pretty sure the NBA players union warned their players it is a possibility and budget accordingly.
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 08:51 AM 04-03-2020
Just an observation, but man...times have changed...

Remember when Joe Montana, hall of fame QB and arguably the best to ever play the game, signed a HUGE 3 year 10 million dollar deal to come to KC? Good times...
[Reply]
RunKC 09:00 AM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat:
If Sammy Watkins hits those incentive goals, we’re in the Super Bowl and Sammy has a career year and is has better production than he’s had since 2015.

Yeah I wouldn’t be mad at all paying for those incentives...and neither would you.
[Reply]
The Franchise 09:05 AM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by RunKC:
If Sammy Watkins hits those incentive goals, we’re in the Super Bowl and Sammy has a career year and is has better production than he’s had since 2015.

Yeah I wouldn’t be mad at all paying for those incentives...and neither would you.
I’m not mad because I don’t think he sees 800 yards.
[Reply]
Skyy God 09:07 AM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by Hoover:
On one hand I'm glad he's back, on the other I'm disappointed that we are still paying him what we are. Wonder what 2021 costs us and how much we can save if we cut him?
He's a FA in 2021.

Hopefully he signs a big FA deal and nets us a 2022 3rd comp pick.
[Reply]
BigChiefFan 09:09 AM 04-03-2020
This shows Sammy is a team player. I’m stoked he revamped his contract to help the team and stay put another year. This is a win-win.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 09:12 AM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by Shields68:
Don't think this is right. The 7 cap hit was going to happen it was the prorated part of his signing bonus. He dropped his salary from 14 to 9. Which accounts for the 5 million cap savings. The 7 million in incentives are then unlikely to be earned since there is a 5 million cap savings. Though given he had a so so regular season last year, he probably is betting on significant improvement and reaching some or all the incentives. A lot of figures indicated he should be around 10-11 million a year so he bet 1-2 million to win 7 milion.
Yeah, this nailed it. He's carrying a $7 million cap hit this year regardless of what was done with him because of the signing bonus from his original deal. What they were able to do was:

1) Move off the $14 million in salary he was owed on his original contract
2) Keep him for 2020
3) Convince him to take a salary this year more in line with what he'd get on the open market
4) Give him the opportunity to surpass the original contract value ($14 million) with incentives

Watkins bet BIG on himself this year. If he stays healthy and has a big season, he's going to earn more than he would have on the original deal AND set himself up better for free agency this year.

Now... can we find the trainer that helped Lorenzo Cain keep his legs healthy and have that dude move in with Watkins?
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 09:13 AM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by e3263518:
Now sign Jones and draft a LB, CB and RB with the first 3 picks.
Need a fatty for the o-line somewhere in there...
[Reply]
Page 6 of 21
« First < 23456 7891016 > Last »
Up