ChiefsPlanet Mobile
View Poll Results: Which Interstate would you choose for your road trip?
I-88 (Illinois) - 7 days, 140 miles through IL 1 4.35%
I-88 (New York) - 7 days, 118 miles through NY 1 4.35%
I-8 - 7 days, 348 miles through CA and AZ 8 34.78%
H3 - 7 days, 15 miles through HI 11 47.83%
I'll stay home, thanks. 2 8.70%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll
Nzoner's Game Room>Interstate Road Trip Tournament, Round 1, Heat 15.
Rain Man 06:35 PM 04-04-2020
Just a little offseason exercise. There are 80 different Interstate highways in the USA (including Puerto Rico). Which one would be best for a road trip?

I've set the rules as follows (in spoiler for those of you who've read them already]:

Spoiler!

Your next two competitors are:

Option 1 - I-88 from East Moline, IL, to Hillside, IL
7 Day Trip
140 Miles, 20 miles per day on average
Passes through northern Illinois. (Downtown Chicago is NOT within 10 miles of the highway.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_88_(Illinois)

Option 2 - I-88 from Binghamton, NY, to Schenectady, NY
7 Day Trip
118 miles, 17 miles per day on average
Passes through central New York state

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_88_(New_York)

Option 3 - I-8 from San Diego, CA, to Casa Grande, AZ
7 Day Trip
348 Miles, 50 miles per day on average
Passes through Yuma, AZ. (Phoenix is not within 10 miles of the highway.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_8

Option 4 - H3 from Halawa, HI, to Marine Corps Base, HI
7 Day Trip
15 miles, 2 miles per day on average
Passes through Kaneohe, HI

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_H-3
[Reply]
displacedinMN 06:48 PM 04-04-2020
3 and 4 tough choice.

I could walk the two miles a day in HI. (believe it or not)
[Reply]
Rain Man 06:53 PM 04-04-2020
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
3 and 4 tough choice.

I could walk the two miles a day in HI. (believe it or not)
Yeah, the two I-88s didn't have a lot of draw for me, and the other two seem pretty interesting.

The Hawaii highway is intriguing because basically I'd drive the 15 miles on the first day and then spend a week relaxing in Hawaii. But it doesn't look like you're actually in a place that is a Hawaiian tourist destination. There's some forest/jungle that would be interesting, though.

I-8 is interesting because I'd start in Arizona and go west. I visited Yuma a few times on business many years ago, so I'd stop there and have some good Mexican food to see how it's changed. It would be an interesting drive down near the border, but honestly, I'd probably do the drive in two days and then spend five days in San Diego. This highway goes straight into the most interesting part of San Diego, so I'd enjoy the weather and good food and all of the tourist stuff that San Diego has to offer.

I'm going I-8.
[Reply]
Hydrae 07:15 PM 04-04-2020
I am going I-88 (Illinois) simply because my ancestors settled in the Moline area when they came here from Sweden in the late 1800's.

I do disagree with the designation of an Interstate when the only two sections are in states that are not even connected and only those two states.
[Reply]
frozenchief 12:28 AM 04-05-2020
I did I-8 a number of years ago. I lived in San Diego. My parents lived in Phoenix. I had a Jeep Wrangler with a soft top but no air conditioning. There’s a mountain range between San Diego and El Centro, CA. We (Mrs. FrozenChief and I) drove over in about August. What can I say? I was young and stupid and I really didn’t know what I was doing.

At the top of that mountain range, we needed the heater. Outside was chilly. But as we descended into the valley, it kept getting hotter and hotter. Eventually, it was like driving through a convection oven. When we got to my parents’ house, our seats, which were cloth, were soaked with sweat. I couldn’t believe how hot it was.

It was so bad that: 1) when we drove back to San Diego, we left my parents house about 10:00 at night just so it would be cooler. Not exactly pleasant, but I’ll take 85 over 110 any day; and 2) I made that trip a couple of years later. And I rented a car so I could have air conditioning.

But it’s a gorgeous drive. I don’t know that I’d do it under these conditions because once I left El Centro, I’d drive to Yuma and find a place to stay with air conditioning. I enjoy the SouthWest, but I am glad we live in 2020 and not 1920.
[Reply]
BigRichard 06:45 AM 04-05-2020
I saw the title without looking at the poster and I immediately knew it was Rain Man.
[Reply]
Old Dog 08:12 AM 04-05-2020
Easy Choice. I'mma play Kaneohe Klipper at least a dozen times....probably the best military golf course I've ever seen
[Reply]
TwistedChief 06:03 PM 04-05-2020
Definitely I-8. Beautiful drive.
[Reply]
Up