ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 21 of 21
« First < 111718192021
Nzoner's Game Room>Sammy Watkins will officially be back
carcosa 03:39 AM 04-03-2020

The Chiefs have reached an agreement with Sammy Watkins on a new 1-year deal that will pay him a base of $9m for 2020 with an incentive package that can reach $16m, a source tells me.

The move creates $5m in cap space for the Chiefs to operate this offseason.

— Terez A. Paylor (@TerezPaylor) April 3, 2020

I think this is nice!
[Reply]
Chiefspants 11:34 AM 04-09-2020
Originally Posted by Red Beans:
When you've got a ****ing artisan as your QB are you going to want him working with tools from Harbor Freight or paint brushes from Wal-Mart?

**** no, you get the man the best tools money can buy!
It’s weird. Some of the same posters who say they want to make sure Patrick doesn’t become a “Manning or a Rodgers” in terms of postseason losses tend to focus on the defense - but a big part of why Manning and Rodgers began to fall off in January was because the offense around them started filling up with JAGs.

I don’t doubt Patrick’s ability to lead us to 11-5 with DRob and Pringle as starters, but eventually we’ll hit a defense like the Patriots or the 49ers who will be able to neutralize the JAGs while eating us up in the pass rush.

Keeping our offense filled to the brim with weapons will continue to allow us to put up 31 against, quite literally, the best pass defenses in the NFL, and if our defense can just be good to average, that formula will lead to a lot more title games.
[Reply]
Halfcan 02:16 PM 04-09-2020
I like Sammy and I am glad he is coming back. I think he will have his best year yet.
[Reply]
FAX 06:42 PM 04-09-2020
I just cracked a beer, so now I'm going to tell you about one of the overlooked plays that Sammy made (one I happen to like because of the situation).

It's 1st and 5 in the Divisional game against the Toxins. We're at the 7:30 mark in the 3rd quarter and the score is 34-24. (Toxins still have a chance and Wishkins believes they can make a game of it.) We have the ball at the Toxin 44-yard line. Heller Keller and Sammy goes in motion. We give him the ball on a sort of sweep/jet deal to the right.

Scarlett (OLB) comes off the line scott-freaking-free (I think Kelce was supposed to pick him up ... or maybe Schwartz ... or LDT ... impossible to know) and gets a hand on Sammy's shoulder pad for an easy 5-yard loss. (Scarlett, by the way, is 6.4, weighs 263, and is fleet.)

Ah, but no sports fans ... not so fast. What actually happens is this ...

Sammy shrugs off this guy's paw and takes the corner at full speed. Meanwhile, the blocking is decent but not great so Sammy gets physical and blows by a safety/corner type dude by launching himself forward like a bright red missile for 16 yards. (They give him 14 in the stat line because the line judge is a certified doofus.)

This deal will never make a highlight and will be forgotten. However, I particularly like the play because it kept the momentum in our favor and highlighted Sammy's speed as well as his vision and physicality.

Go Sammy.

FAX
[Reply]
Megatron96 07:01 PM 04-09-2020
Originally Posted by FAX:
I just cracked a beer, so now I'm going to tell you about one of the overlooked plays that Sammy made (one I happen to like because of the situation).

It's 1st and 5 in the Divisional game against the Toxins. We're at the 7:30 mark in the 3rd quarter and the score is 34-24. (Toxins still have a chance and Wishkins believes they can make a game of it.) We have the ball at the Toxin 44-yard line. Heller Keller and Sammy goes in motion. We give him the ball on a sort of sweep/jet deal to the right.

Scarlett (OLB) comes off the line scott-freaking-free (I think Kelce was supposed to pick him up ... or maybe Schwartz ... or LDT ... impossible to know) and gets a hand on Sammy's shoulder pad for an easy 5-yard loss. (Scarlett, by the way, is 6.4, weighs 263, and is fleet.)

Ah, but no sports fans ... not so fast. What actually happens is this ...

Sammy shrugs off this guy's paw and takes the corner at full speed. Meanwhile, the blocking is decent but not great so Sammy gets physical and blows by a safety/corner type dude by launching himself forward like a bright red missile for 16 yards. (They give him 14 in the stat line because the line judge is a certified doofus.)

This deal will never make a highlight and will be forgotten. However, I particularly like the play because it kept the momentum in our favor and highlighted Sammy's speed as well as his vision and physicality.

Go Sammy.

FAX
I just re-watched that game the other day, and I know exactly what play you're talking about. And you're right; I'd forgotten about that play until I saw it again.

Another one he'll never get credit for is the 4th-and-2 conversion in the first quarter. Kelce is the target from the get-go of course, but Sammy is lined up just outside Kelce at the snap. Sammy runs an in-route, but no one notices just how he runs it. He drifts instead of cuts off his stem, running just close enough to his defender to cause that man to hesitate, giving Kelce just a little more room to make that catch. Effectively, Sammy takes that defender out of the play, so that Kelce only has one defender anywhere near him as he catches the ball. It's a pick without actually coming into contact with the defender.

And this is the kind of play/route-running that Sammy was doing all season from week 3 forward. Running routes that helped get other receivers open, without actually doing anything that could draw a flag.

Another one was his block on the jet sweep by Hill for a TD at the end of the first Q. Runs his stem just like a real route, forcing 25 to D him up as a receiver, and driving him deep into the EZ, then putting the block on him to keep 25 completely out of the play so Hill can walk into the EZ. Just really great execution.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 08:11 PM 04-09-2020
Sammy, when healthy, is a difference maker. He’s the Debo Samuel that our offense needs.
[Reply]
Chief Northman 08:37 PM 04-09-2020
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
Sammy, when healthy, is a difference maker. He’s the Debo Samuel that our offense needs.
EDIT: Deebo is the Sammy Watkins the 49ers offense needs...
[Reply]
Chiefshrink 05:21 PM 04-11-2020
Originally Posted by Hoover:
On one hand I'm glad he's back, on the other I'm disappointed that we are still paying him what we are. Wonder what 2021 costs us and how much we can save if we cut him?
Tells you how much Andy values him making big plays when it counts more than Hardman and Robinson at this time. Yes Hardman is the up and comer but Watkins still "has it" and plays BIG in BIG games and proved it last year.:-)
[Reply]
Page 21 of 21
« First < 111718192021
Up